Crater Category Proposal

It would be neat to have a category for Craters! Craters are somewhat rare but I know of 1 large one near home! I think this would be a neat category to log Craters of the World!

Sounds like a good one. Some possible variables:

Type:

-Impact Crater

-Volcanic Crater (Caldera)

-Subsidence Crater (from below, e.g. nuclear)

Meteorite Hunting? -checkbox

Diameter -numerical textbox

Ask yourself this as well: Will you be allowing craters which have been completely filled in by sediment? New techniques in geology have allowed for many to be discovered where there is no discernible (with the human eye) change in topography.

Thanks for the Input, the one Large Crate I know of is actually a city built in the Crater! Middlesboro, KY which is in Bell County in Cumberland Gap National Historical Park!

Geologists believe that the Middlesboro basin between Pine Mountain and the Cumberland Mountains is the remains of an ancient meteor crater, which would give the town the rare distinction of being one of the few cities in the world completely built inside a crater. The crater is one of three known astroblemes in the state.

I think as long as there is Scientific Evidence of a Crater, it can be logged! Most craters are on the internet anyways, so they may have a related webpage about them!

middlesboro%20crater%20basin2.jpg

Above: The Middlesboro Crater Basin!

Edited by treasure_hunter

Love this idea, but arent craters covered by earthcaches?

I don't think every crater could be turned into an earthcache, simply because they don't all have an information/museum/visitors center at them like your Barringer Crater Earthcache does.

Another question for you to answer: Where do I take a GPS reading? The center? Rim?

You know, Im not quiet sure about this question. You would think the center of the Crater is more practical but in some cases, that may not be possible! I would say the Center if possible if not the rim of the Crater! What is everyone elses' opinion?

It would be neat to have a category for Craters! Craters are somewhat rare but I know of 1 large one near home! I think this would be a neat category to log Craters of the World!

Well, since I was born very close to Crater Lake, Oregon, I'd love to see a crater category. So, I think you should have some variables for those craters that have lakes, like depth etc. An altitude variable would be good.

Then, there is the question of how you waymark something that is as large as a crater! I would suggest allowing multiple waymarks for the same crater -- from different viewpoints. For something like Crater Lake, there might be as many as a half dozen appropriate waypoints around the rim, while some smaller cones might need only one.

Saw a crater in Ecuador last Novemeber that had a framing community in the caldera! Obviously they did not expect this one to become active any time soon. Past volcanic activity or current status might be another variable.

Let me know when you get to the point of forming your group, and I'd be glad to help!

Any progress on this worthy category?

I'd say, form your management team to help you hammer out the variables, etc. , post it in the forum if you want some additional input from the community and then submit it for peer review. It is genarally a good process and can really help define and refine category proposals.