Tbs And Airline Security

Wigi&Callie

I have no idea if anyone has ever addressed this issue, but I would be curious to know...

Has anyone considered that technically a travel bug is an item given to us by someone we don't know? That might make taking them on an airplane a problem...

I work in the travel industry, and I travel a fair amount, and the VAST majority of travel bugs are not only innocuous, but really tamper-proof and innocent by design. However, it seems to me that someone that had mischief in their hearts could create (or modify) a travel bug that would cause a problem on an airplane.

I am really not trying to rain on anyone's parade...

I have no idea if anyone has ever addressed this issue, but I would be curious to know...

Has anyone considered that technically a travel bug is an item given to us by someone we don't know? That might make taking them on an airplane a problem...

I work in the travel industry, and I travel a fair amount, and the VAST majority of travel bugs are not only innocuous, but really tamper-proof and innocent by design. However, it seems to me that someone that had mischief in their hearts could create (or modify) a travel bug that would cause a problem on an airplane.

I am really not trying to rain on anyone's parade...

I hope this thread is a joke.

Using the same logic, the lunch you ate prior to boarding, the luggage you carry, and the clothes you wear were given to you by someone you don't know. (except that you purchased the items)

I feel that you are taking the question far too seriously, its intent is to find people who may have accepted packages to take on to airlines. One could easily conceal enough dangerous material ANYWHERE else that a travel bug would be the least of anyone's worries.

Oh c'mon, what are the odds that the cacher who picks it up is going on an airplane? Or that it will even get picked up right away? You are really stretching it here! The only way I see a problem is if the TB is a jack knife or toy gun. And then I would hope people would be smart enough not to take it on a plane. When they ask that question at the airport, they mean while you were in the airport. Don't leave your luggage unattended, don't take anything from strangers, and use common sense.

I fly quite frequently and I don't believe they ask that question anymore. With the kiosks that you can use to check in with no interaction with humans it's an irrelevant question. They do post signs and make public service announcements saying not to leave your luggage unattended and not to accept packages from people you don't know. But I think it's been 5 years or so since anyone has actually asked me anything like that.

The best part of traveling with travel bugs in your carry on bag is seeing the face of the airport screener. In most cases they do not say anything but one time, all the little metal tags and trinkets raised a curious eye. The screener asked what they were out of their curiousity not that there was anything that would be deemed dangerous. They thought it sounded like fun, I pulled out a couple and showed them, and then off I went. Just be careful the type of bugs you carry in your carry on that they meet the security requirements.

Just be careful the type of bugs you carry in your carry on that they meet the security requirements.

I carried on a TB that was just a small metal fire engine with a keyring attached for the TBtag to hang on - apparently it looked like a hand grenade or something in the Xrays ;)

They closed down the security checkpoint while I was going thru it, they rescanned my bag like 3 times, then asked for permission to go thru the bag while 2 big security dudes stood behind me. They finally laughed when they discovered that the item in question was just a "toy".

Scared the crud out of me, even though I knew I couldn't possibly have anything dangerous in there, and hadn't left my bags alone anywhere.....

I never imagined that TB might be a problem. They didn't look twice at my GPS.

No one asked me to carry the travel bug. I found it and chose to bring it along. Therefore my answer is no.

I have been asked that question recently, but I was also body searched because I changed my ticket at the last minute to get on a flight a day early in order to make a funeral and it was an international flight originating in Frankfurt, Germany. So I expected a hassle at the airport.

Strangely, they ask the question on transatlantic flights (especially originating from europe) but not on domestic flights in the US. The most ridiculous airport is Charles de Gaulle in Paris, where I am always asked at least twice despite the fact that I already had a connection flight. <_<

However I even took this

4a3ebfff-d700-4a36-973d-dac88af4581a.jpg

with me on a plane, though I checked it in and didn't answer the question in Chicago truthfully. My friends were joking that I might be used as a drug courier :lol: Nothing happened :( and I normally have TBs in my cabine luggage without problems.