Nightmare At Decoursey Park

Shooting a duck out of season is a big deal, and I believe it is a "federal" big deal. In the future contact your local Wildlife Conservation Organization (Game Warden). We are talking about huge fines and possible jail time. Shooting ducks out of season is one thing, but leaving it there to waste is another issue all its own.

Nuwati

Another thing you can do is send something to newstips@king5.com (I think that's the email address). They'll often feature stories like this from viewer tips that otherwise wouldn't get much notice. If it gets on air, it can help to light a fire under the authorities to locate the suspects.

Edited by Wander Lost

update

still have not heard anything from police or dept of wildlife . we have contacted PETA and spoke with a rep named Rita. she took the information and said she would contact the police and dept of wildlife . She also told me of a similar incident that she is also investigating where a goose was killed in federal way washington, just north of here.

I have finally posted the pictures of the ducks and geese who remain at decoursey park on the mammoth's pond cache page. I did it without even thinking but i sure hope Mammoth doesn't mind.

3dfe469a-4102-4c20-ac34-93faef4b0964.jpg

we will be sure to keep you posted

thanks

beefsquad

Edited by beefsquad

update

well will wonders never cease. i actually ended up talking to the dispatcher who took my first call that night. wow she remembered taking the call. and she said that the police did respond and went looking for the car. It turns out they know these punks and have had runins with them in the past. (go figure) well they went to the home and were looking for a parent, the killers are under 18, . didn't know if contact was made with a parent. didn't catch the actual shooters. im not sure who the cop talked to. but after this nothing more was done. info is still a little sketchy.

yep yep did you see that, a glimmer of hope ending with a whole bunch of WHAT THE CRAP.

Now well lets see. this could be a start of something good. because now we actually have an incident number, and i've been told that with that we can start an animal cruelty case through metro animal services. so all hope is not lost. we will keep up the pressure .

thanks again

beefsquad

Thanks beefsquad, for doing a great follow-up on this!

So it looks like the cops know who did it, but did relatively nothing? I'm hoping that more is going on behind the scenes in the investigation than the dispatcher was able to tell you. The jerks who did this crime are severely disturbed and a danger to society. I recall reading a newspaper article here in Maine, that said that authorities were upping the punishment for animal cruelty. They found that there was a direct link from animal abuse to domestic abuse, and of course, there are already the studies on how people who commit murders often start on animals.

I've seen many hunters posting on this thread defending themselves. While I don't really like hunting, I know many people who do so responsibly. We simply agree to disagree. The responsible hunters I know eat their kills, and always try for a clean kill. I see no correlation here between hunters, and what these sadists in the park did. They were not hunting; they were torturing these ducks to death. Two separate things in my book.

I hope those teens will be brought to justice for this ugly crime!

Thanks again beefaquad, for keeping us updated. I've been thinking about those ducks all weekend. :laughing:

Edit to add that if involving the game wardens because of the "out of season" issue helps to bring the culprits to justice, thats all for the better! Still think that it would be just as heinous an act if the ducks were treated in this manner "in season".

Edited by team moxiepup

update

everyone must be trying to tie up all the loose ends before the long weekend. the dept of wildlife officer called me tonight to let me know he was investigating. there was a mix up where he thought another officer had contacted me but he had not. also they are very busy with bears in this area so we'll give these guys a break. there are only 138 Fish and Wildlife Officers in the whole state if i read their site correctly. so we are heading out of town for a few days and i feel pretty good about the situation. it looks like the ball is rolling .

beefsquad

This made me feel sick. I also do not agree with hunting or owning fire arms, but that's just me, this gives everyone a bad name

Personally I would put their license plate number up here or on my site, but then I would have also have slit their throats and walked off.

This made me feel sick. I also do not agree with hunting or owning fire arms...

Personally I would put their license plate number up here or on my site, but then I would have also have slit their throats and walked off.

I can tell you are the non-violent type. :ph34r:

This made me feel sick. I also do not agree with hunting or owning fire arms...

I can tell you are the non-violent type. :ph34r:

You beat me to it - talk about hypocritical!! It disgusts me what happened, but a post like that is too typical of a growing number of people today (please note that I didn't generalize and type "everyone"). It is bad to manufacture firearms and kill animals, but it is okay to slit the throats of those who kill a duck or support abortion...hmmm :(

I hope the police keep up the efforts and don't drop the issue just because the perps are minors. Keep up the good work and thanks for the updates! :(

Edited by overtaxed1

Not to feed the troll but, Overtaxed1 what makes you think that I support abortion and whether or not I do has nothing to do with you.

I do most definately not support the torture of innocents be they ducks or whatever. The world is too full of people like that, unfortunately I see it just about every day.

There is no depth to which humans will not stoop, maybe it is just because there are too many of them that this stuff happens so much.

Beefsquad as many have said keep up the good work, you have the support of many people here, except of course the trolls

So morally, what is the difference between those teens shooting and killing birds, and law abiding hunters getting a licence, and shooting and killing birds during government sanctioned times?

When you have a society that says that killing animals purely for sport is not just ok, but an essential part of its culture, what do you expect? Who is going to teach children to respect other living creatures?

Try to stay on topic people. Some of us are actually following the thread to find out what happend, not to get in to a pissing contest. If you want to discuss morals and ethics and what not, that really has nothing to do with geocaching, and belongs over in off topic.

So morally, what is the difference between those teens shooting and killing birds, and law abiding hunters getting a licence, and shooting and killing birds during government sanctioned times?

Big difference. It's about respect: For the law, for livin creatures, for conformity to rules, to name a few examples. If you can't see that, I can't help you.

I am really glad this horrible crime is being followed up on. :laughing:

Thanks beefsquad, for doing a great follow-up on this!

So it looks like the cops know who did it, but did relatively nothing? I'm hoping that more is going on behind the scenes in the investigation than the dispatcher was able to tell you. The jerks who did this crime are severely disturbed and a danger to society. I recall reading a newspaper article here in Maine, that said that authorities were upping the punishment for animal cruelty. They found that there was a direct link from animal abuse to domestic abuse, and of course, there are already the studies on how people who commit murders often start on animals.

I've seen many hunters posting on this thread defending themselves. While I don't really like hunting, I know many people who do so responsibly. We simply agree to disagree. The responsible hunters I know eat their kills, and always try for a clean kill. I see no correlation here between hunters, and what these sadists in the park did. They were not hunting; they were torturing these ducks to death. Two separate things in my book.

I hope those teens will be brought to justice for this ugly crime!

Thanks again beefaquad, for keeping us updated. I've been thinking about those ducks all weekend. ;)

Edit to add that if involving the game wardens because of the "out of season" issue helps to bring the culprits to justice, thats all for the better! Still think that it would be just as heinous an act if the ducks were treated in this manner "in season".

With the way our society works these days and everyone's paranoia regarding the police, we have tied their hands in cases like these. Too many people afraid of 'unjust prosecution' (read: couldn't get a good enough lawyer) or too many rich daddies buying a high-powered lawyer to get their kids off for doing something wrong, and we have effectively handcuffed the police. There was recently a case of ongoing vandalism in my town (yeah, big deal right? but it illustrates the point) The vandalism was targeted at one specific individual--a good friend of mine--and the cops knew exactly who was doing it, and all they needed was his fingerprints to tie him to the case without a reason of a doubt (a bottle he threw through her living room window didn't break, and had his fingerprints on it) HOWEVER, since he was a minor child, the police could NOT talk to him without his parents permission. His parents knew that if the police talked to him, he was as good as convicted, so they refused the police access to him. As such, the police were never able to charge him for the crimes, and there was no reparation for the damage he caused--both property and two weeks of near-terror for his victim. What kind of example did that kids parents just set for him?

Anyway, good job following up on this case in general, but I'm betting you're up against something very similar to this right now; they're hiding behind thier parents, and the parents are protecting them because 'their sweet little kid couldn't possibly do something so bad'. Either that or they know that their children are the spawn of Satan, and are trying to deny it.

... but then I would have also have slit their throats and walked off.

The duck or the teenagers ... ;)

The suffering duck to put it out of its misery, and the teenagers

1) Cos sometimes the voices get too loud.

2) It would have appeased my soul.

3) Sometimes ya just gotta.

4) Doing it really slowly so they could feel the pain.

Klatch, I am not really violent. Violent would be to beat them to death with the blooody end of their (teenagers) torn off arm.

Y'all have sweet dreams now y'hear :)

Edited by tttedzeins

... but then I would have also have slit their throats and walked off.

The duck or the teenagers ... :)

Klatch, I am not really violent. Violent would be to beat them to death with the blooody end of their (teenagers) torn off arm.

Y'all have sweet dreams now y'hear :)

Ooookay, thanks for clearing that up ... ;)

Y'all have sweet dreams now y'hear ;)

O.S.P.

Update.

sorry, i was out of town.but today i managed to spend some time on the phones. I called the wildlife officer but only got his voicemail. i also called the police dept. again and it doesn't sound that good because the address for the registration was old. they say there has been some investigation but no case number. they said the primary officer who investigated will be contacting me after 6 pm when he starts shift. if i can find out more i will post again.

thanks

beefsquad

I am heartened to see so many supportive posts on this issue! Go geocachers!

I am often tempted to "take matters into my own hands" when it comes to animal cruelty.

The few inadequate laws out there to protect animals are rarely enforced and even when offenders are arrested, the courts often let them off the hook - ESPECIALLY if they are young offenders.

It's a subject that can truly stir the blood.

THAT SAID, I must counsel myself and others to have patience and foresight when dealing with these matters. Sign petitions, write letters to newspapers and politicians, make informed consumer decisions - but, of course, never engage in violence to combat violence!

It seems that 'beefsquad' has gone through all of the appropriate channels to ensure that this matter is dealt with. KUDOS.

a petition that I urge all B.C.'ers to sign:

www.endanimalcruelty.com

In BC, there is virtually no government funding for animal-cruelty investigations.

check out current animal rights issues with:

www.peta.com

Does anyone else have ideas on ways to combat animal cruelty WITHIN the law? The replies to this post have shown that there is a great deal of passion felt about animal cruelty. If we could channel this passion into concerted action, we could truly make a difference (trite, but true).

Edited by WillRun4Cache

Okay, OBMB for the previous post. I see it is being handled.

You should be aware that nearby Bradley Lake has some 'unsavoury' sorts living in tents around on the back side. Another of Mammoths' caches is there (not close to the tents, though). I have reported this several times to the park folks, but so far, nothing has been done to shift them from their niches.

Not quite on the original topic, and PLEASE don't think I'm starting a homeless rant. I'm not, but DeCoursey is a park with a deep ravine at one side (and a cache near the bottom of it), and an ideal place for such 'unsavouries' to lurk. Take care when you're out there, karstic.

Edited by Hoppingcrow

www.peta.com

Ergh. PETA is, at the very least, a very controversial and radical organization. I will keep my own opinions of PETA to myself in the spirit of forum propriety, but I would suggest referring to an organization that is a bit more reputable, such as the HSUS.

I took a creative approach to bad behavior in a park. In my case a bunch of kids were setting off firecrackers in the park and "blowing stuff up":

I approached the kids to let them know that I saw a few cop cars pull up when I entered the park and suggested that they should probably take off.

It turned out to be the best approach. They actually thanked me. They immediately stopped what they were doing and left the park.

You could take this further and follow them out of the park, noting what car they had or what direction they were heading, depending on their age/access. However this seems to be the best scenario barring any actual interaction with authorities.

update

I was called by the police officer last night. He stated that he actually was not the primary officer but he had responded to the call and he and the primary officer did pay a visit to the home of the girl who was driving that night. i was given some wrong information about the registration being for an old address. the address was good and she was home. he said that they talked to her. they discussed her choice of friends and bad judgement etc. He would'nt tell me if she gave up her friends names. he also said that he didn't know if anything else was going on with the case and that the primary officer will be back sat night at 10 pm, and he would know more.

i asked him why there was no actual case number, because by all accounts i have heard this was a felony. he said" oh this isn't a felony but it is definately a crime. "

the wdfw officer hasn't returned my call yet so when that happens i'll know more from the poaching side.

again thank you all for your support and suggestions. on a side note there is one thing that has been bothering me. What does O.S.P. stand for. i have'nt been able to figure it out. is there a list for all these abbreviations. Ive only been geocaching for a few months and everyday i read these forums someone throws another one out there.

beefsquad

What does O.S.P. stand for. i have'nt been able to figure it out. is there a list for all these abbreviations. Ive only been geocaching for a few months and everyday i read these forums someone throws another one out there.

beefsquad

I can't figure that one out, either. I can, however, point you here:

Geocaching FAQ's

Scroll to message #6 for links to various lists.

What does O.S.P. stand for. i have'nt been able to figure it out. is there a list for all these abbreviations. Ive only been geocaching for a few months and everyday i read these forums someone throws another one out there.

beefsquad

I can't figure that one out, either. I can, however, point you here:

Geocaching FAQ's

Scroll to message #6 for links to various lists.

One sick puppy (in response to tttedzeins' last post )

Edited by Klatch

www.peta.com

Ergh. PETA is, at the very least, a very controversial and radical organization. I will keep my own opinions of PETA to myself in the spirit of forum propriety, but I would suggest referring to an organization that is a bit more reputable, such as the HSUS.

Sorry, the HSUS is no more reputable then PETA. A pet (pardon the pun) peeve of mine is the fact that everyone seems to think the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is the parent org of your local animal shelter. Nothing is further from the truth.

While we are tossing around links, check out http://petakillsanimals.com/

I'm all for protecting animals and against legitimate cruelty (like displayed in the original post here), but these two groups are little more then terrorists and thugs playing on human sympathies to line the pockets of the people at the top.

Hello,

I just wanted to add my support, Beefsquad. Thank you for reporting the kids and keeping up on it.

Such a sad thing. *sob*

Not too long ago here in NEPA there was a nightly "Duck Watch" on the news - seems Momma Duck had laid her eggs right next to a wall that was part of a group of buildings that was in the process of being torn down. Long story short, the community got invovled, got the news on their side and the construction workers stopped work there and went across the streen and down some to start another project. Momma Duck and her little ones were live at about 5 pm as they hatched one by one. A few days later, traffic was stopped while she led them accross the busy road to a pond- and work continued when it was sure that she would not return to the nest.

It never ceases to amaze me that people can be so caring (above example) while others can be so heartless.

Thank you for listening, and for doing what you are doing.

Oh, one more thing - if any of us kids had done anything - even remotely bad like that, our parents would not have hidden us from the police or law enforcement. While my parents never hit us, I have no doubt that they would have either handed us over to the police or buried us in pieces in the forest somewhere - themselves.

update

i was contacted by the fish and wildlife officer who is investigating the incident. apparently there was a misunderstanding and he thought that the kids were just shooting at but did not kill any ducks. he said he was contacted by peta and wanted to get his facts straight so he called me to confirm that ducks had actually been killed.

so everyone is still following up on it. well maybe not the actual police but we all expected that. this is more in the realm of fish and willdlife. i will continue to post until the conclusion or this thread is closed.

beefsquad

update

i was contacted by the fish and wildlife officer who is investigating the incident. apparently there was a misunderstanding and he thought that the kids were just shooting at but did not kill any ducks. he said he was contacted by peta and wanted to get his facts straight so he called me to confirm that ducks had actually been killed.

so everyone is still following up on it. well maybe not the actual police but we all expected that. this is more in the realm of fish and willdlife. i will continue to post until the conclusion or this thread is closed.

beefsquad

thanks for the update! keep us posted.

update

beefsquad

This proves that one person can make a difference. You could have easily shrugged it off and walked away, but you were so repulsed you sought action. I'm glad to hear an investigation is underway. Let's hope the hoodlums are found and brought to justice. Let them have the choice for punishment... either a minimum of 5 years in prison or have their eyes put out.

One thing really disturbs me, though. As someone mentioned before, they had guns in a public park. The police aren't the least bit concerned about this?????

Personally In this situation, as I know how the system handles these cases, this was a time for street justice.

If you have the plate, I know people who could get your their address. These kinda people need to be taught a lesson the the law is not willing to.

I wasnt even there, and Im really angry.

:) Tonight while out for a few quick finds mrs beefsquad and I were headed toward the micro called Mammoth's pond. while heading toward the cache point we were admiring the many new baby ducks swimming amongst the other ducks at beautiful decoursey park. as we were coming up on the cache point we noticed 2 boymuggles and a girl muggle in their late teens or early 20's sitting almost on top of the spot. we decided to pass by nonchalantly and return later. As we passed they acted a little funny but we just assumed they were enjoying the park same as us. we went to search for some other nearby caches across the street but could not make the grab do to muggles being to close. we then decided to swing back to the first in hopes that it was clear of the muggles. We were elated when we got there and they had cleared off but our elation soon turned to dread when we discovered this beautiful mallard writhing on its back shot repeatedly. They had even shot out the eyes and left it to suffer. i heard them a little bit farther down the path. as we approached we saw the bags of bread that they were using to bait the ducks. The two males were doing the shooting while the girl sat on a bench as lookout. when they saw us they coming they hid their pellet guns and acted like they were just feeding the ducks. when we had passed them a mere 30feet they began rapid firing into the ducks. I immediately called the police as my wife wrote down their license plate. the girl took off for her car with the 2 males not far behind still pretending as if they had done nothing wrong. they drove off speeding down the road.

we reported them, gave descriptions and their license plate but i really think that some dead ducks are to far down the list of priorities to get any real response. All I can do is scream on this website and hope karma fills them full of pellets.