Nightmare At Decoursey Park

:) Tonight while out for a few quick finds mrs beefsquad and I were headed toward the micro called Mammoth's pond. while heading toward the cache point we were admiring the many new baby ducks swimming amongst the other ducks at beautiful decoursey park. as we were coming up on the cache point we noticed 2 boymuggles and a girl muggle in their late teens or early 20's sitting almost on top of the spot. we decided to pass by nonchalantly and return later. As we passed they acted a little funny but we just assumed they were enjoying the park same as us. we went to search for some other nearby caches across the street but could not make the grab do to muggles being to close. we then decided to swing back to the first in hopes that it was clear of the muggles. We were elated when we got there and they had cleared off but our elation soon turned to dread when we discovered this beautiful mallard writhing on its back shot repeatedly. They had even shot out the eyes and left it to suffer. i heard them a little bit farther down the path. as we approached we saw the bags of bread that they were using to bait the ducks. The two males were doing the shooting while the girl sat on a bench as lookout. when they saw us they coming they hid their pellet guns and acted like they were just feeding the ducks. when we had passed them a mere 30feet they began rapid firing into the ducks. I immediately called the police as my wife wrote down their license plate. the girl took off for her car with the 2 males not far behind still pretending as if they had done nothing wrong. they drove off speeding down the road.

we reported them, gave descriptions and their license plate but i really think that some dead ducks are to far down the list of priorities to get any real response. All I can do is scream on this website and hope karma fills them full of pellets.

if you do not get a response from the police dept call the department of natural resources (DNR)( are you in the usa?)

that is poaching!! the hunting season is not open for duck and those sickos are guilty of wanton waste of a natural resource AND cruelity to animals!!

man that pisses me off!!!

slugger

Yup, the feds will get in on the act on this one. I do believe the penalty for shooting waterfowl out of season is $500/bird. In this case, the state will step in as well. I can see concurrent sentences rolling up to around 5 to maybe 10 years in the clink for "having fun".

I really cannot understand how anyone could find amusement in such cruelty!! :) I'm glad you called the police and were able to get the license platte numbers. I hope you call the police back and can get an update from them. Was there anything that could be done to put that poor duck out of it's misery? Nothing infuriates me more than cruelty to animals. The sickos who did this thing should be locked away! Grrrrrrrr!

As a human and a sportsman, that sickens me in ways I cannot describe. I would have had a hard time ending the confrontation with recording their license plate.

Mallards do not mate for life, they select a new partner every year. It is still sad.

That is indeed a federal offense. I would involve the DNR right away. They take such things very seriously.

Cheers!

4HoundsBrewing

Cruelty to animals is generally the first sign of disturbances that manifest themselves as much more violent behavior against people later on. The authorities would do well to take action quick in cases like these. Unfortunately most people view it as "just a few ducks in a big pond full of them".

It would be great if you could post an update to this when you know something more.

I'm assuming you're in Washington

Call the WDFW Incident Hotline 1-800-477-6224

Also the USFWS

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

Office of Law Enforcement

911 N. E. 11th Avenue

Portland, Oregon, USA 97232-4171

Phone:(503)231-6125 Fax:(503)231-6197

You will more likely see a better response from these two agencies than the local PD.

Yep, call your state Fish and Wildlife department and the USFW. That is their specialty. Plus, much more likely to get action from them then the local police. They already have their hands full of other things. Might try the local paper and tv stations. Lot's of times they will get envolved and post it all over the TV.

That must have been very upsetting. It's a shame there are such mean people walking the earth. Maybe you have at least prevented them from coming back to the park to do it again. It may not be at the local police's top of the queue for crime fighting, but it is a VERY serious crime. People can serve jail time over a thing like this, as well they should.

I'd be livid. Probably enough so to go after them, pellet guns or not. However, you did the right thing in calling the cops. I'd do as others suggest and call other relevant agencies, too. You got their license number and saw the guns, that makes a pretty good case in court.

just a quick update. i have also reported the incident to the washington fish and wildlife service. i reported it as a poaching incident. i made follow up calls to the police dept investigations section but i only got their voice mail, and they haven't as of yet returned my call. i did get in contact with their animal control person who was helpful. she had not recieved a report of the incident but i gave her the information i had and she was checking on it.

thanks for the many helpful suggestions posted here and the emails i have recieved. and thanks to the local police officer who contacted me and checked into the matter himself.

i will keep this updated.

thanks beefsquad

Thank you so much for following up on this and keep us updated. I felt absolutely sick after reading your first post but at least had the solace of knowing that you were pursuing all avenues available to try to bring these cretins to justice. This happened in my backyard to it is doubly heart-breaking. How can people be so cruel?

That is horrible that someone could do something like that! Killing an innocent life like that is absolutely horrible.

*(TROLL ALERT)*

I bet 80% of the people complaining about these ducks being murdered are pro-choice and see harm in ending an innocent human life. Any comments on that? Kill a duck -- Inhumane. Kill a human baby -- Choice. Over 1 million children aborted each month worldwide and you are complaining about ducks?

GO FIGURE!

*(END TROLL ALERT)*

That is so heartbreaking. Good thing you came along. Since you got their license plate, authorities can definitely take action. You can also offer to identify the kids if the authorities are concerned about proof. It might have been a parent's vehicle, but you got a good look at the kids twice. And I agree that it is a scary warning sign of what is in these kid's hearts, and there is a good chance they will progress to even more violence if it's not addressed now.

Another thing I'd do if the police won't follow up on it is call a newspaper and raise hell.

A story about police "condoning" animal cruelty through inaction should get some results.

Sigh. As others have pointed out, the local municipal police are usually overworked and usually have other crimes to worry about. Rather than creating a new and smokescreen issue about police "condoning" such activities, it might be saner just to realize that this is not usually the province of local municipal police, and rather the province of DNR, federal wildlife authorities, and also the local Animal Control organization (they almost always handle calls about animal abuse as well.) So, no need to beat up on the local police, but rather more appropriate and far more effective to bring this issue to the appropriate authorities.

[so, no need to beat up on the local police, but rather more appropriate and far more effective to bring this issue to the appropriate authorities.

Well said.

And, from the last update, it seems the OP has followed up with the proper authorities.

Hopefully we will eventually see some results.

Tame ducks in a park are probably not going to be under the jurisdiction of Dept of Natural Resources. They only have control over Migratory Waterfowl. Most tame ducks in a park can't even fly.

This would definitely be an Animal Cruelty/vandalism police matter. However, without proof, they probably won't be able to pursue this particular incident. However, sooner or later, the culprits will get caught spray painting a bridge or stealing a road sign or something. Mommy and Daddy will be able to keep them from having a criminal record and they'll just do community service. If there is justice in the world, it will be cleaning duck crap off park sidewalks!

I am a hunter, and sportsman for that matter, and I have " trophied" alot of things, in season, cleanly, and legally, but that is just what makes everybody THINK that all HUNTERS are bad. this is my theory, there are hunters, which trophy and have a reason to " take a trophy" and then there are killers, who dont care and kill for the sake of killing, thats just wrong, I think that the authority's should take every weapon he has , pellet guns and all

-------------------------------------------> Codeman3

Just reading the first post got me really mad. I probably would have busted out all over those punks.

Don't talk yourself out of contacting the police, because someone says they are 'already overworked'...make the report, take a stand, get things rolling and do the right thing.

Wanna see it get some coverage?

Drop a note to P.E.T.A.

Those guys will really tear into it, especially with the info you have on the kids...

update

home from work making a few quick calls before school

spoke with larry of Posado's Safe Haven today and gave him the whole description. he said he was outraged at the obscene murder of the ducks(paraphrasing) He was very helpful and is going to bring this up to the founders. told me that it is a felony now in washington with a penalty of up to 5 years in prison. gave me many tips and told me to keep up the pressure.

called the animal control again today but talked to someone different today than yesterday. asked about the case and they said there was no case number but they were gonna call the police again and get back to me.

also haven't heard anything from dept of wildlife yet but i will keep on them.

if i don't get any response tonight i'm gonna go down to the actual police dept tomorrow after work.

thanks for all your support and words of encouragement.

beefsquad

update

home from work making a few quick calls before school

spoke with larry of Posado's Safe Haven today and gave him the whole description. he said he was outraged at the obscene murder of the ducks(paraphrasing) He was very helpful and is going to bring this up to the founders. told me that it is a felony now in washington with a penalty of up to 5 years in prison. gave me many tips and told me to keep up the pressure.

called the animal control again today but talked to someone different today than yesterday. asked about the case and they said there was no case number but they were gonna call the police again and get back to me.

also haven't heard anything from dept of wildlife yet but i will keep on them.

if i don't get any response tonight i'm gonna go down to the actual police dept tomorrow after work.

thanks for all your support and words of encouragement.

beefsquad

Thanks for the latest update!

I for one appreciate it!

I am a hunter, and sportsman for that matter, and I have " trophied" alot of things, in season, cleanly, and legally, but that is just what makes everybody THINK that all HUNTERS are bad. this is my theory, there are hunters, which trophy and have a reason to " take a trophy" and then there are killers, who dont care and kill for the sake of killing, thats just wrong, I think that the authority's should take every weapon he has , pellet guns and all

-------------------------------------------> Codeman3

AMEN, AND WELL SAID!!

Since this was a Mallard and not just "some tame park duck" there's no way to really know if it was migratory or a resident. It should fall under the jurisdiction of whoever polices hunting in your area. Since it's likely out of season, the kids likely don't have the proper hunting liscenses, and pellet guns most likely aren't legal weapons for hunting purposes, these kids could be facing a whole pile of charges. Likely more from a "hunting enforcement" side of things than the local PD could issue. I'd keep pushing the Washington Department of Fishing and Hunting to pursue the issue. In fact, they even have a REPORT A POACHER form on their website.

Edited by IV_Warrior

*Update*

We went back to the park today and took some pictures. I have been trying for hours to get the pictures here onto the thread but just can't seem to make it work. There are beautiful pictures of the park, the ducks, swans, and geese, though the "feeling" of the entire park was much different to me. As soon as we can figure out how to get the pictures to show up on the site, we'd like to share them with everyone. As of now, after all of the contacts we've made with all of these organizations over the past 48 hours, we have only received the one mentioned response. I am still just in complete shock that these boys were even shooting any sort of gun in a public park with dogs, adults, and even kids everywhere. We will continue to update as soon as something does happen. -The Mrs.

Edited by beefsquad

Thats easy to show pictures of the park just go to someplace like photobucket.com sign up for an account and upload pictures to it they will give you the tag to copy which should look like image.gif when you click that you just enter in the full url including the image name and Wallah.

Btw thanks for the updates.

Edited by Mystery Ink

*Update*

We went back to the park today and took some pictures. I have been trying for hours to get the pictures here onto the thread but just can't seem to make it work. There are beautiful pictures of the park, the ducks, swans, and geese, though the "feeling" of the entire park was much different to me. As soon as we can figure out how to get the pictures to show up on the site, we'd like to share them with everyone. As of now, after all of the contacts we've made with all of these organizations over the past 48 hours, we have only received the one mentioned response. I am still just in complete shock that these boys were even shooting any sort of gun in a public park with dogs, adults, and even kids everywhere. We will continue to update as soon as something does happen. -The Mrs.

Beefsquad,

For this one, I'd be happy to stick the pics on either my Geocities or my personal website if you want to email them to me. If you do, PM me and I'll send you my email address.

One of the truly disturbing things about this incident is the realisation that it's not all that uncommon. Cruelty to animals happens far more frequently than any of us would like to think about, this just happened to be one instance where it was in a public area.

[Edited by moderator -- charitable solicitations are not permitted in this forum.]

Edited by Keystone

There was an incident in our local strip mall, where there is a Target and other family oriented shops. The day this happened, the place was packed with families. The parking lot is often frequented by seagulls, who are attracted to the food left in the parking lot. One person decided it would be fun to run over one of the seagulls, leaving it mortally wounded. Of course the people nearest the bird were horrified, not only because the guy had run over the bird, but also because so many little kids were around and he sped up to hit the bird. He picked the wrong day and the wrong place to pull his little stunt. The paper reported that the local animal control office was flooded with calls - he was contacted, cited and had to appear in court. I remember the fine being over one thousand dollars.

I hope some sort of justice prevails in the story you told.

One of the truly disturbing things about this incident is the realisation that it's not all that uncommon. Cruelty to animals happens far more frequently than any of us would like to think about, this just happened to be one instance where it was in a public area.

[Edited by moderator -- charitable solicitations are not permitted in this forum.]

i actually donate 260 a year to united animal nations it is a disaster relief group that rescues animals during disasters like katrina, and the hurricanes the previous year in florida. when we had or big floodss in 1996-7 they went out and got the horse caught against the fences standing in flood water.during katrina i gave them 200 more. i do rescue in my home on my own, i know what people do to animals all to frequently.

Edited by Keystone

i was almost rear-ended by a truck,because i stopped for some ducks that were crossing 4 lanes in the downtown area here in carlisle,pa if the car across the wayahd not blown their horn i would never have seen them..i too am a hunter and those kids would have been getting a good a**chewing from me til cops came .i take pride in i eat what i shoot or i do not shoot.i still do not have a trophy buck but i do have meat in the freezer

That is horrible that someone could do something like that! Killing an innocent life like that is absolutely horrible.

*(TROLL ALERT)*

I bet 80% of the people complaining about these ducks being murdered are pro-choice and see harm in ending an innocent human life. Any comments on that? Kill a duck -- Inhumane. Kill a human baby -- Choice. Over 1 million children aborted each month worldwide and you are complaining about ducks?

GO FIGURE!

*(END TROLL ALERT)*

I think you missed the point. See there are already too many people, hence the muggle issue. And now those over-populated humans are killing innocent ducks? What bad did a duck ever do to humans? So saving the ducks is necessary least the humans win and kill everything while saving only their own.

I bet ducks don't threaten each other with stories of heaven and hell either.