Best Street Mappimg Software

i have a garmin gpsmap60cs and was thinking about purchasing street map software. what i was looking for was any help in directing me to make the best purchse .

what is the main difference between select and navigator.

is garmin coming out with a different version and if so is it better to wait or what .

thanks for any help

tb

You'll want City Navigator 8 ONLY IF it has smaller map segments. If it doesn't have smaller map segments you're gonna need to try and find CitySelect 7 because it has smaller map segments. City Navigator 8 is rumored/confirmed to come out/be announced May 31.

You'll want City Navigator 8 ONLY IF it has smaller map segments. If it doesn't have smaller map segments you're gonna need to try and find CitySelect 7 because it has smaller map segments. City Navigator 8 is rumored/confirmed to come out/be announced May 31.

I've heard this from many sources. I've never tried Select but purchased Navigator 7 for my 60cs. I don't know what the difference for me would be, but for my local area (Northern California) I have to load 2 segments - which ends up covering all of Nor Cal. I believe they take up 31 out of 56 megs of memory for maps. Since I don't travel outside of this area much the larger segments aren't a problem for me.

For those people that travel a lot and don't want to have to bother with transfering maps I can see how this would be an issue. For some people the larger segments may not be an issue at all.

-al

It's also an issue if you reside on bordering regions and you can only fit one of them in your GPS.

A Garmin tech told me the next version of City Navigator was going to have smaller segments. He didn't provide a time frame. CS and CN are interchangeable among the Garmin auto-routers (a tech told me this). The main difference is CS has smaller sized regions to accomodate the smaller memory capacity of 60cs. To save production costs, City Select was discontinued this year, but Garmin did not foresee the problems associated with that decision.

You may find CS at discounted prices. If you do grab it, but avoid opened packages as all Garmin maps, except the MetroGuide, use unlock codes for up to two GPS. The software will install, but if the unlock codes have unlocked two GPS' already, you will get an error message preventing further downloads.