Geo-post Offices

Zonker&co

There is an established grid of Geo-Post offices functioning in Eastern Canada. These Geo-Post Offices have now expanded to the USA in Connecticut, New Hampshire and a couple in Missouri. New caches are being constructed in New Jersey, and a number of them in Maine, also two or three are being built in BC. My cache can be found here at GCTTCZ. We want to expand this grid so that GPO's can be used to relay postcards around North America, and particularly across Canada. GPOs are easy to construct, and most do not have swag, just space for postcards, and room for some TB's as they can double as good, often visited caches with which to relay travel bugs.

Is anyone in Ontario willing to build a GPO? Check out the existing Geo-Post Office cache pages for all the info you may need.

Edited by Zonker&co

I am wanting to start one of these here in the great state of Utah, but I have a question? Who do you address them to? How do I address them to get to another GPO? Do the postcards have to go to another GPO or can they be placed in any cache? How does someone know what the objective is of the post card?

Damenace: You can address the cards to anyone you want. Have a look at my GPO GCTTCZ for a look at an example postcard. The text on this cache page will answer many of your questions. People who read your cache listing will know by the brief wrie-up how to forward the postcards. You can also post a thread on the Utah geocaching site with a small explanation as to what you're doing. (like this one). The objective of the post card to someone picking it up should be self-explanatory, it is, after all, a postcard with an address on it. We have had a lot of success with it in Eastern Canada, with many arriving safely in the hands of the addressees. They're easy to build, just a good container, with enough space for postcards, logbook, and a few TB's. I don't put swag in my GPO's and many others don't either. Feel free to cut and paste from my listing if you want to, Damenace. There is also a full listing of all GPO's in existence on the GCTTCZ listing.

The first non-North American GPO will be opening soon, and they are spreading quickly to the NorthEast US. If you have any further questions, just ask, and please let us know when your cache is listed so that we can publicize it, and send you some mail! Good luck.

The postcards can move through regular caches as well as post offices, but hopefully the grid of GPO's will get sufficiently large someday, so that they will be able to easily move from GPO to GPO. We have just about enough in Atlantic Canada, so that we can do so.

Alright I am one step closer to placing Utah's first Geo-Post Office. I have 30 or so post cards to start, I will fill some out and leave some blank for others to use. I am putting all the post cards in a Loack & Lock to assure they remain water tight. The Lock & Lock will then be placed into an ammo can.

Question? Where do you get the addresses for some of the people that started this??? Has anyone complained about there address beibg used and placed in caches???

Zonkers are you the one that started all of this?? Do you mind if I use some of your layout and some of your links to put mine together. It would just be easier than retyping it all ( of course I will give credit where credit is do).

Damenace:

I just get the addresses from the cache listings. There are no complaints to date from anyone whose address has been used, nor do I expect any. Team TKD in Halifax, Nova Scotia is the cacher who got the geo-post office ball rolling. Feel free to cut and paste anything you want from my cache listing, Damenace. Good luck and keep us posted, I have a card here with your name on it, just need a GPO address.

Due to a few mishaps this weekend scoping locations did not happen, however mentioned it to other geocachers at a meeting and I think one of them may run with it.

Great Idea for a cache!

I am in the Beaverton, Ontario area and will be picking up a supply of Ammo Boxes this week end! I will definately start up another Post office cache!

I will post back here when it becomes active!

:laughing:

Rather than update my Geo-post Office page every time a new Post Office comes online, I just provided a link to the bookmark page. This way is a whole lot easier and shows all the world's GPO's, the HTML reads:

<p><font color="blue"><a href=

"http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=2d076c25-a072-4d39-a7f2-0e9e11f3b81a">

Click here</a> to visit a list of all the Geo-Post

Offices.</font></p>

Feel free to cut and paste it.

I found a great location this morning. I will submit the cache today or tomorrow: Ottawa East Geo-Post. I used a cal 50 amo can. Inside the can I have a Lock&lock container for the postcards. They will stay nice and dry :huh:

Edited by JF&C

Zonker&co... I tried to PM you about a new geo post office in Victoria BC (GCWRG4), but the system can't find you... says member doesn't exist! There was a thread on vigps.com about starting geo post offices all up and down Vancouver Island. A cacher in the western region of Victoria has set up a geo-post office.

We still want to put one in Victoria proper, so this isn't in conflict... big city and all that :mad:

Congrats on the new GPO, Landsharkz, I have bookmarked it, and will ship off a card to you as soon as I get home from vacation!

Ours is still in the works... this one is by Artois, RogueTowel, & Supermuffin. It's GCWRG4. We can't take any credit, but would like to help them publicize their efforts. I've sent them a link to some of the bookmark lists.

Alright I am sorry for the delay on getting this up and running, I have been very busy vacationing. Here is the Scoop. I have the postcards filled out, location spotted, container ready. I plan on getting this placed this week. I will let you know when it is approved.

I have 6 cards ready and they will be going to:

Jeepers2 in Springfiled Missouri

Tim,Pam & Molly in Washington Missouri

Zonker & Co in New Brunswick Canada

Team TKD in Halifax Novia Scotia

LoriDarlin in Caldwell Idaho

Jaybee in Portland Oregon

Awesome Idea! I'm going to see if I can hide one tomorrow here in Saskatoon Sask. and then at home to Calgary Alberta on monday. don't worry I have good people here (sask) that can help me watch over the GPO here.

Super! I have a card for someone in Sask in my Lagoon City Geo-P.o.!! That would be awesome!!

Now if any Manitobans can step forward and put a few up we'd be cooking!!

Edited by Jayloki

No new post offices???

We could REALLY use a few in western Ontario and Manitoba. Any takers in those areas???

I have also designed a small sticker stamp for my Geo Postoffcie. So Any cards making their way thru mine will have the "lagoon city" stamp on it. Thought it would add to the whole "post office" feel. Almost like those ham radio cards you send out to the peopel you talk too.

Anyhow, keep the geo-p.o's a comin'!!

:(:D:(