Underwater Cache

50Cal

I live near a lake and I would like to place some type of underwater cache. I do not want to make this cache a "scuba only" cache, but I definately want to make it to where it is somewhat difficult to get to (pull a rope from the bank, or possibly wade out to it). There is a thread in the Unusual Cache page on this forum, and it has really got me interested.

The lake that I am located on rises/falls on a daily basis, and I am having trouble coming up with good cache ideas.

Does anyone have any suggestions on types of containers and processes in finding the cache?

There are a number of containers that may stay dry if everything works out. Ammo boxes are one.

But assume that your cache will get wet inside. If you insist on placing the container underwater, be sure to use waterprooof paper for your logbook and only stock it with items that water won't ruin.

Another way is to place your cache on dry land and hide the coordinates to it underwater. You can paint or etch the coords on a piece of metal or plastic so if they get wet, there is nothing to worry about.

There are a number of containers that may stay dry if everything works out. Ammo boxes are one.

Don't forget that an underwater cache has to not float as well. I don't know if a typical ammo box is heavy enough to sink on its own (I doubt it unless you put some heavy things inside), but you don't want to hike all the way out to place your underwater cache only to find out that it isn't heavy enough to stay on the bottom of the lake. :cry:

Edited by ejnewman

Don't forget that an underwater cache has to not float as well. I don't know if a typical ammo box is heavy enough to sink on its own (I doubt it unless you put some heavy things inside), but you don't want to hike all the way out to place your underwater cache only to find out that it isn't heavy enough to stay on the bottom of the lake. :cry:

A brick placed inside will take care of that.

A cache under a pier would work. You swim/wade to the end and by using velcro can place it under such that it's only accessable by getting wet. The peir already rises and falls with the lake. The main drawback is that it would pretty much be inassessable when the water level is lower than the pier/dock so they are land locked. Those suckers are heavy.

I like this idea I may steal it.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...38-2c27d74da3f6

a great Geocache using a crab pot, a pond and a paddle boat. You have to paddle out, grab the boey and haul up the pot to get the cache. Great cache, great date cache.

Hey, I was planning one of these! It was going to be a multi where I would leave a canoe chained to a tree on the shore. One of the stages would reveal the combination to the lock. Thanks for making it easy!