Talk To Me About Geo Coins

Ducks4friends

Are they travel bugs or collectibles or both? How can a coin from finland start here (calif). Can anyone purchase foriegn geo coins. They are interesting and i picked one up BUt I do not quite get it...Thanks a newbie who is getting rolling :ph34r:

Edited by Ducks4friends

Are they travel bugs or collectibles or both? How can a coin from finland start here (calif). Can anyone purchase foriegn geo coins. They are interesting and i picked one up BUt I do not quite get it...Thanks a newbie who is getting rolling :ph34r:

If they don't have a tracking number, then they're simply collectible trade items. The ones with tracking numbers also act like travel bugs. You can pick it up, leave it somewhere else, and track its progress.

Yes they are like travel bugs but only if they say "trackable on www.geocaching.com and have a number" and yes they are collectibles also but only if you bought or traded for one, you you found it in a cache you need to log your find if you look on the upper right side of the cache listing under Inventory you can click on the coin you found and log it. Then when you are done when you get a chance place it back in a cache for others to enjoy.

As others said, whether they are collectible or TBs depends on the bug. Coins that are activated and trackable, should be moved along like a TB. Some coins are trackable here and some have their own tracking websites.

Can anyone purchase foriegn geo coins.

Usually yes. In most cases, geocoins are offered for sale to the general geocaching community. If you follow the geocoin forum you will frequently see announcements of geocoin releases and purchase information.

I think one of the best ways to collect geocoins, if that is what you are interested in, is to have your own minted. Then you can find people willing to trade their coins for yours.

As far as purchasing coins is concerned you can prucaches many of them through the forums. There is a section just for coins. Many caching groups have a coin club so to speak where you can purchase coins at a discout because of the volume. I belong to one in Idaho called ICE Idaho Coin Enthusiasts. If you decide to go this route you better have deep pockets. It was costing me around $80 per month for coins. There are an awful lot of new coins out there to buy. :sad:

If you find them in a cache they are not collectable! If they are in circulation, then please keep them there. If you want to collect them, then by them or trade with people. You can buy foreign coins or any coins but expect to pay dearly for ones that are sold out. I've seen coins go for over $30 on eBay. There are so many coins made these days that it's hard to keep up. It seems like anyone and everyone has their own series of coins now. I get it if you want to put them in caches but I don't get hanging on to them and display them on your wall. What does that have to do with geocaching?? I hate when there is supposed to be a coin in a cache and someone has knicked it.

^^ike

Okay I understand Geocoins are like TBs but if you bought one and it has a tracking # and activation # how do you activate it? How do you track it? They thread I saw in the forum that states a site to activate only showed me how to get a code. I have that. I just want to activate it.

Okay I understand Geocoins are like TBs but if you bought one and it has a tracking # and activation # how do you activate it? How do you track it? They thread I saw in the forum that states a site to activate only showed me how to get a code. I have that. I just want to activate it.

Go to the Activation Page (which you can also reach form the Travel Bug page), and enter the appropriate information.

If you find them in a cache they are not collectable! If they are in circulation, then please keep them there. If you want to collect them, then by them or trade with people. You can buy foreign coins or any coins but expect to pay dearly for ones that are sold out. I've seen coins go for over $30 on eBay. There are so many coins made these days that it's hard to keep up. It seems like anyone and everyone has their own series of coins now. I get it if you want to put them in caches but I don't get hanging on to them and display them on your wall. What does that have to do with geocaching?? I hate when there is supposed to be a coin in a cache and someone has knicked it.

^^ike

Not true. Many people drop unactivated coins in caches for swag. In this instance just trade fair and do what you want with the coin.

How do you know if it's actiavted or not? Usually, when activated they have a sheet explaining thier goal (just like a TB). IF unactiavted, you usually see a slip of paper or sticker giving you the activation number.

Yes some people steal coins just like TBs and other items. yes, some people don't trade fair for them either. Sad but true.

Enjoy the ones you find.

Help them along.

Feel free to hop over the Gecoin Forums and discuss others, but some, set them free, etc.

Click on the name of the coin in the INVENTORY section on the cache page. When the next page comes up, click on the dropdown panel. It'll ask for the number on the coin. That's all you have to do.

^^ike

Not true. Many people drop unactivated coins in caches for swag. In this instance just trade fair and do what you want with the coin.

How do you know if it's actiavted or not? Usually, when activated they have a sheet explaining thier goal (just like a TB). IF unactiavted, you usually see a slip of paper or sticker giving you the activation number.

Yes some people steal coins just like TBs and other items. yes, some people don't trade fair for them either. Sad but true.

Enjoy the ones you find.

Help them along.

Feel free to hop over the Gecoin Forums and discuss others, but some, set them free, etc.

This is not true. Geocoins are identifiable by the legend and number on the back. I have yet to see one with a piece of paper attached. The coin's mission is on its site. If the coin has been activated, it will show in the Inventory section on the cache page.

Edited by TennesseeFlyBoy

Thanks for the replys but they still aren't answering my question. I tried activating them on the TB page and it doesn't recognize them. Most threads I have seen are for getting codes, I have the codes. I just want to know how to activate them.

Thanks for the replys but they still aren't answering my question. I tried activating them on the TB page and it doesn't recognize them. Most threads I have seen are for getting codes, I have the codes. I just want to know how to activate them.

Okay, I misread your intent. If never sent any coins out, but if I'm not mistaken the TB page only recognizes TBs and Coins from Geospeak. If your coins aren't from there, you may need to activate them somewhere else. If they are, you should be able to activate them by putting in the activation code and the coin number.