Real Explorist 210 Faq?

After doing as much research as I could (including scouring the forum here), I bought a Magellan Explorist 210. I felt that it fit my needs best. Granted, with gobs of money, I might have bought something different, but.... :ph34r:

The only problem I have is that the more I use it, the more questions I have about how to get it to do things I hadn't thought of. I do some searching and there's no real source of good, detailed info specifically for the 210. Lots of reviews that tout the company line, but I want more, real world, type information.

For example, when I bought the 210, it was bundled with MapSend Topo 3D USA software. I thought this was really cool. Then reality hit me with a brick. I hooked everything up and the software wouldn't recognize my GPSr. I was a bit miffed. I went to Magellan's web site and it says that this software does not support the 210 and vice/versa. Now, I was a lot miffed. Why bundle hardware and software that won't support each other? I'm not sure if I was more upset with Magellan for the mismatch or myself for not seeing it before.

Well, having worked with computers for more years than I care to count, I decided that I would not be defeated. They put the two together, so I was going to find out how to make them work together. More searching, let down time and again. Then....

I found one web site with a solution. I can't find it now, and I freely admit that the solution is not mine. I just don't know who to credit.

When you have MapSend Topo 3D USA open and want to transfer the map you've selected to your 210, select "Save to hard drive". It will then ask for the serial number of the GPSr the map is being created for. Enter the serial number for your 210 BUT drop the FIRST and LAST digits! MapSend (the version that was bundled with my 210, anyway) will extract the map you've selected and create a file that the 210 can use. Now, you have the map you want from MapSend and you will need to use the Magellan Conversion Manager to send the map to your 210.

OK, so now I'm almost happy. I got the software bundled with my 210 to work with it. I was able to find a way to get the two to do what I read was not possible. Why am I not completely happy? I want MORE! I want a more detailed map. I want an easy way to get it into my 210. I want my 210 to wash the dishes when I take it camping....

Well, OK, I might be a tad unrealistic with SOME of my expectations.

So, is there somewhere in the great bit bucket in the sky a real FAQ that can answer these kinds of questions that is specifically devoted to the 210? If there is, could someone let me know where? If not, would anyone be interested in seeing/helping to develop one? If I/we develop this FAQ, I/we would need a site to host it. I'd be willing to take the questions/answers and make the FAQ and do as much research as I can to answer questions. I'm not above doing a hard reset if I screw something up.

Anyone out there think this would be a good thing? Anyone willing to help?

Thanx

Jerry

AKA 5Lakes

I can tell you not to waste your time with their tech support. I left them an email which said "Can you tell me the pinout of the data connector on the back of my eXplorist 210?". (I was thinking of making my own quick-disconnect.)

12 days later I got a response that said "You have not given us enough information to diagnose your problem."

Maybe that's because I wasn't ASKING about a problem...

Anyway, rather than screw/unscrew that lame data cable several times a day, I leave it connected to the unit and keep a little USB extension plug on the end so that all the wear and tear is on the extension. Of course, I have to carry that dratted 5' cable with me...but I think it's better this way than anything else I've come up with.

By the way, for use in your car you can find a car power adapter for the iPod nano that works fine. I got mine for about $13.

HTH

Mike

There is a wiki FAQ in my sig line that online vandals keep trashing...it's not working right now although I've written the guy who hosts it and with a sigh he said he would probably patch it up again. If it gets back up, it would be a good place to add any 210-specific information you would care to contribute.

In the meantime, you might find this review I helped create on gpsinformation.net to save you some unnecessary teeth gnashing.

Edit: I'd agree with the previous post that Magellan customer support is not as helpful as it could be. Asking questions here or in the Yahoo Explorist group can save you from re-inventing the wheel.

Edited by embra

There is a wiki FAQ in my sig line that online vandals keep trashing...it's not working right now although I've written the guy who hosts it and with a sigh he said he would probably patch it up again. If it gets back up, it would be a good place to add any 210-specific information you would care to contribute.

Fixed. Contributions of words welcome.

Before anyone points out having the pages locked so only one person can edit it defeats the point of a wiki, I'm very aware of that. Vandals and spammers were defacing it a couple of times a week until I locked it down.

5lakes,

You are a freaking life saver. I have spent the last 8 hours trying to figure this MapSend crap out with the 210. I have looked everywhere. Some of the "fixes" are more outrageous than you can imagine (or perhaps you've seen some of them). I owe you...

I wish I could add something to this discussion. Right now I'm simply trying to get my hands on this thing and learn it. If I come up with something new I'll pass it on, or at least ask if you guys have seen or heard of it.

Thanks again,