Ok, I Give Up.

MouseFart

I've found 2 perfect round containers with sealed water-tight screw on lids. One is about a 2 quart sized, the other about a pint sized. They are both hard white plastic.

I just used olive, brown and black Krylon spray paint and turned them into a couple of awesome looking camo pattern containers. After they dried, I picked one up and with the slightest fingernail scratch, the paint just comees right off to expose the white plastic again.

Next I went to Walmart and thought I remembered seeing a camo pattened Duck tape, but could only find black, gray, white and blue. Bought a black roll and just finished wrapping the smaller one in the black Duck tape and it now looks like junk and shines like a shiny new car.

So, How do you camo your caches?

I was at ACE Hardware the other day and they had spray paint specifically for painting plastic. I don't remember the brand and I'm sure it's not exactly flat, but if it sticks?

I've only placed two containers (today as a matter of fact!). One was an ammo canister that I painted desert tan. But it's metal. The other was a small plastic container that I painted with primer (inside and out) and then topped with the ultraflat tan paint. I'm sure it'll flake off, too--it's stuck out in the desert, afterall. But of the admittedly few caches I've found, the Tupperware containers among them weren't camoflouged at all. They were just plastic tubs, clear with opaque tops.

First try sanding the containers before painting.

You could also use a base coat of Krylon's Fusion paint, it is made to use on plastic.

I would still sand first to give the plastic some "tooth".

As for cammo duct tape, I buy mine at walmart.

They usualy have it in the paint department and near the hunting suplies.

The stuff in the paint department is more cost effective.

You can also try a sporting goods store.

Next I went to Walmart and thought I remembered seeing a camo pattened Duck tape, but could only find black, gray, white and blue. Bought a black roll and just finished wrapping the smaller one in the black Duck tape and it now looks like junk and shines like a shiny new car.

Walmart usually only sells camo tape in hunting season. Check a nearby hunting store.

Here are a few of my caches using the camo tape:

d1831752-3d35-4f66-b7c5-dc7963649532.jpg

4ddb9a21-1f55-436c-abad-83ae62696eab.jpg

I've found 2 perfect round containers with sealed water-tight screw on lids. One is about a 2 quart sized, the other about a pint sized. They are both hard white plastic.

I just used olive, brown and black Krylon spray paint and turned them into a couple of awesome looking camo pattern containers. After they dried, I picked one up and with the slightest fingernail scratch, the paint just comees right off to expose the white plastic again.

So, How do you camo your caches?

While in Wal-Mart pick up the $.97c cans of paint...Green...black...brown...silver to look like rock....etc Works for me :cry:

The whole gamut of possibilities has pretty well been covered but I'll throw in my $0.02 ...

If you're having trouble with spray paint sticking, as previously mentioned, a light sanding works sometimes. Also, when you're done give it a double coat of transparent flat (or matte) paint. It'll protect the colors from light scratching.

-OR-

Use Krylon for plastics. It costs more but is a lot less work (and drys to the touch pretty quick too)

Since they're round, a trip to the woods and a little glue, and some creativity should provide you with a fairly convincing "rotten log" or "stump".

Go Natural! ;) I recently hid a ammo can that I camoflagued by gluing actual tree bark to the exposed surfaces. It now blends in great with the hiding place. I found the bark laying on the ground near the hiding place where it apparently peeled off of some dying trees.

medoug.

P.S. O.K., I must admit... the glue I used wasn't natural.

Edited by medoug

I sprayed one of my caches with undercoating first, then painted various browns, whites and blacks. Then I hot-glued twigs, bark and spanish moss on it. It's camo'd so well that I set it on a branch of a dead tree at eye level and it still took the first finders 30 minutes to see it.