Civil War Geocoin Caches

prntr1

I am looking for 10 cachers to set out caches at the locations listed on the Civil War Geocoins, as we

all know, caches cannot at this time be placed on NPS lands. I need the caches to be close enough

to the sites to encourage cachers to visit the site.

I would like each cache owner to commit to doing maintenance on their site long enough to distribute

50 of each of the 10 coins. I would like 5 coins at a time put in, with instructions to only take one coin

per person. I will rely on basic honesty for this.

In order to entice these cachers to do this, each cache owner will receive a set of Shiny Gold XLE Civil War

Geocoins.

When each of the ten caches have been approved, the first 15 finders of ALL 10 caches will receive

a set of the first 10 Shiny Gold XLE Civil War Geocoins. These finders will have to be verified

by the cache owners, all though, I am again relying on the basic honesty of cachers.

I am open to any and all constructive critisim/suggestions.

Like I stated when I started this series, I like geocaching, and I like the Civil War. Many discussions

on these boards about what is the connection for this series, here it is. I also wanted to get

more coins into the wild, so that more cachers could be included in coin collection/moving.

With this scenario/contest 500 unactivated coins will be set loose in the wild, as well as 150 Shiny XLE turned

over to diehard cachers who visit every listed cache. This is not, and never was a commercial (money making) venture. It's sole purpose was/is to get geocoins into the wild, so that more people can come to enjoy coins like we do.

If your interested in setting up one of the 10 caches, email me through my profile. The remaining

6 coins should be shipping by the 23rd, but I will be at Geowoodstock thru Monday, so do not look for

many replies until after that time.

I just thought I'd share this idea, since I was thinking about it. You might want to have the cache owner activate all of the coins that will go into a particular cache. When a cacher takes one, the coin can be adopted to them. This will make it less likely that someone might grab all of the coins in the cache and try to sell them on ebay. Just a thought. :ph34r:

--Marky

I just thought I'd share this idea, since I was thinking about it. You might want to have the cache owner activate all of the coins that will go into a particular cache. When a cacher takes one, the coin can be adopted to them. This will make it less likely that someone might grab all of the coins in the cache and try to sell them on ebay. Just a thought. :ph34r:

--Marky

That is an excellent idea, I have three of the 10 covered, need 7 more cachers.

Civil War Caches

#1- Ft. Sumter

#2- Manassas

#3- Battle of the Ironclads ---Ryder3 & Better Half

#4- Shiloh --- Eagle-2

#5- Antietam --- Ladebear8

#6- Chancellorsville

#7- Siege of Vicksburg ---tdecell

#8- Gettysburg

#9- Chickamauga

#10- Chattanooga

I still need 6 more cachers in the area of the open numbers to put out caches. Everyone wants coins in caches, here is a chance to get 500 coins out there!!!

Remember, a free full set of XLE's (unactivated) go to each cache owner :rolleyes:

Edited by prntr1

Civil War Caches

#1- Ft. Sumter

#2- Manassas-----------------TeamRJJO

#3- Battle of the Ironclads --Ryder3 & Better Half

#4- Shiloh----------------- --- Eagle-2

#5- Antietam ----------------- Ladebear8

#6- Chancellorsville

#7- Siege of Vicksburg--------tdecell

#8- Gettysburg

#9- Chickamauga--------------GaCacher

#10- Chattanooga-------------Thorny1

3 more and 500 coins into the wild blue yonder, come on, doesn't anyone want a free set of Gold XLE's just for setting a cache out and doing a little maintenance!!!!

I honestly don't know if you will have any luck with Ft. Sumter. The SC laws here are so sticky in that area. :)

I know about the situation in SC, but there are a ton of caches within 10 miles of Ft. Sumter. Surely someone there knows of a good place nearby, not looking for it to be in Ft. Sumter, just close enough to draw you there if you want to go.

I honestly don't know if you will have any luck with Ft. Sumter. The SC laws here are so sticky in that area. :laughing:

I know about the situation in SC, but there are a ton of caches within 10 miles of Ft. Sumter. Surely someone there knows of a good place nearby, not looking for it to be in Ft. Sumter, just close enough to draw you there if you want to go.

Parrolet alerted me to this project.

I'm thinking it will be a bit of problem for Ft. Sumter to fit the bill. Here are the issues, it's an island accessible only by boat. This boat access can either be private, charter, or tour boat. I'd say most visit via tour boat as would most cachers. The boarding for the boat is no where near the island--you can't even see the island. Of course, there's charter but that would be very rare, so that leaves private boat. There are several landing around, but nothing near the island.

In short, I'm not seeing any place to put a cache that would entice anyone to then spend an additional $14 per adult to see the island.

While the right person might be able to persuade management to place a physical cache on the island there are literally few places where the public is allowed and would be even remotely muggle-proof. We've visited because of the virt on the island. I've lived in the area off and on for 19 years and have visited exactly once. We did it via private boat. You might be able to place a larger micro or a small, but you have to consider most will be visiting for the hour when a lot of other people come over on the tour boat. A hunter will have to contend with all of folks milling all over the place.

A relatively convenient place to place a cache where you can see the island would be on Sullivans Island just south of the NPS-run Fort Moultrie. It would certainly not encourage visiting the site.

I guess you could create a multi where you had to visit the island and find the cache somewhere else. You could create several multi-stage, civil war themed caches and still have sites left over for traditions. (The War of Northern Aggression--also known as The Recent Unpleasantness--is still being found by some folks around here.) Point is, there's plenty of other sites to tie in if that the direction you wanted to go that way.

So, Fort Sumter is going to be a tough one. It's not like Ninety-Six where the rangers have authorized caches in the park. Access and hiding spots is tough and expensive.

If you want we can take it up via email for further discussion.

I honestly don't know if you will have any luck with Ft. Sumter. The SC laws here are so sticky in that area. :laughing:

Parrolet alerted me to this project.

I'm thinking it will be a bit of problem for Ft. Sumter to fit the bill. Here are the issues, it's an island accessible only by boat. This boat access can either be private, charter, or tour boat. I'd say most visit via tour boat as would most cachers. The boarding for the boat is no where near the island--you can't even see the island. Of course, there's charter but that would be very rare, so that leaves private boat. There are several landing around, but nothing near the island.

In short, I'm not seeing any place to put a cache that would entice anyone to then spend an additional $14 per adult to see the island.

While the right person might be able to persuade management to place a physical cache on the island there are literally few places where the public is allowed and would be even remotely muggle-proof. We've visited because of the virt on the island. I've lived in the area off and on for 19 years and have visited exactly once. We did it via private boat. You might be able to place a larger micro or a small, but you have to consider most will be visiting for the hour when a lot of other people come over on the tour boat. A hunter will have to contend with all of folks milling all over the place.

A relatively convenient place to place a cache where you can see the island would be on Sullivans Island just south of the NPS-run Fort Moultrie. It would certainly not encourage visiting the site.

I guess you could create a multi where you had to visit the island and find the cache somewhere else. You could create several multi-stage, civil war themed caches and still have sites left over for traditions. (The War of Northern Aggression--also known as The Recent Unpleasantness--is still being found by some folks around here.) Point is, there's plenty of other sites to tie in if that the direction you wanted to go that way.

So, Fort Sumter is going to be a tough one. It's not like Ninety-Six where the rangers have authorized caches in the park. Access and hiding spots is tough and expensive.

If you want we can take it up via email for further discussion.

Email sent, thanks

Civil War Caches

#1- Ft. Sumter

#6- Chancellorsville

#8- Gettysburg-----------------Nanni&PapK57

Two more!!!

Coyote Red is working on Ft. Sumter, need Chancellorsville.

When I have all 10 cachers, I am going to run a contest, the first 15 cachers to find all 10, physically find and log, will receive a full set of the Shiny Gold XLE coins. Come on two more caches!!!!

#1- Ft. Sumter

#6- Chancellorsville

#8- Gettysburg-----------------Nanni&PapK57

Looks like no takers for Ft. Sumter or Chancellorsville, the rest of you cachers send me your addresses and 50 coins, plus your free set of XLE shiny gold will be on their way. Will try to figure out a way to get the 100 coins for Ft. Sumter and Chancellorsville out into the wild.

Soon there will be 400 coins in caches.

Yes!!

A fun, informative, educational, historical and "related" to geocaching!!!

2 more caches to place!!!!

:( Huh? You produce hundreds of coins, THEN put out the caches?

Sounds like you have placed the cart before the horse (I mean the coin before the cache).

B)B):D

Send me your APO address and I will put some in a cart and send them your way!!!