60csx Map Lock Up

I've been having a problem with my maps locking up. I had the problem with my first 60CSX and exchanged it and I am having it again. Sometimes (now on a regular basis) when you make a turn (a 180 turn causes the problem most often), the GPS stops reading the map from the card. The map will generally keep moving (sometimes it just freezes) and anything not on the screen at that point will be blank and it will not rotate. If you do zoom in or out, it just freezes up and shows drawing. Most times when you turn it off and back on the map will reappear. Sometimes it will not reappear at all and the map will be blank. Usually if you zoom way out and turn it off and then on, it will then work.

The problem happens most often with my 1 gig card, but it also happens with my 512 meg card, and the card that came with it. I've tried reformatting the cards and run check disk on them. I've reloaded maps and loaded different map sets.

I have the most problems with the 1 gig card. Sometimes it takes it forever before it will recognize it. When it is not recognizing it, none of the POIs or my custom POIs show up in the find menu. Under these circumstances I can load the card into a reader and access everything. Likewise, I access everything on the card when it is not being recognized via the USB interface.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The first unit I had, Garmin told me to return it so I exchanged it at REI. When I called them again about it, I thought it was related to the elevation problem but I am still having the problem with 2.71. When I was running 2.60, I called Garmin and they had me do a master reset. It did not work. A day or two latter it just started working and worked well for a couple of weeks. Now it is driving me crazy again. I am going to call Garmin in the morning but am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

I've had this GPS for about 3 months now and I've had no problems with the map. I also do not however have a card more than 64 megabytes in it. Perhaps that is the issue with your GPS because I'd think when you returned it for exchange it would have worked on the new one. Maybe you should install an older firmware?

Thanks,

Compass has always been off. It does it when it is driving and biking. I've never had it do it when I was hiking. Which is interesting as I turn off City Select when I hike. I was out tonight and it kept acting up. I turned off City Select and just had USA Topo showing and it worked fine. I turned City Select back on and it locked up in about 5 miles when I made a sharp turn. I turned off City Select and I tried hard to get it to lock up and could not. I went to some spots where it usually locks up and it would not lock up. While I have not used it enough with City Select off to feel confident that it is the problem, I am suspecting it is. Maybe there is an issue with the unlock code or something.

Is this happening while driving in your vehicle or walking/hiking? Is the compass on when it happens? I'm asking only to help narrow the conditions down that may be contributing.

Olar

I've been having a problem with my maps locking up. I had the problem with my first 60CSX and exchanged it and I am having it again. Sometimes (now on a regular basis) when you make a turn (a 180 turn causes the problem most often), the GPS stops reading the map from the card. The map will generally keep moving (sometimes it just freezes) and anything not on the screen at that point will be blank and it will not rotate. If you do zoom in or out, it just freezes up and shows drawing. Most times when you turn it off and back on the map will reappear. Sometimes it will not reappear at all and the map will be blank. Usually if you zoom way out and turn it off and then on, it will then work.

The problem happens most often with my 1 gig card, but it also happens with my 512 meg card, and the card that came with it. I've tried reformatting the cards and run check disk on them. I've reloaded maps and loaded different map sets.

I have the most problems with the 1 gig card. Sometimes it takes it forever before it will recognize it. When it is not recognizing it, none of the POIs or my custom POIs show up in the find menu. Under these circumstances I can load the card into a reader and access everything. Likewise, I access everything on the card when it is not being recognized via the USB interface.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The first unit I had, Garmin told me to return it so I exchanged it at REI. When I called them again about it, I thought it was related to the elevation problem but I am still having the problem with 2.71. When I was running 2.60, I called Garmin and they had me do a master reset. It did not work. A day or two latter it just started working and worked well for a couple of weeks. Now it is driving me crazy again. I am going to call Garmin in the morning but am wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

I had exactly the same problem with my first 60cx. The maps locked (UK Topo) within a few minutes of leaving home. This was with the original 64mb card.

The unit was exchanged, I installed a 256mb card and and had only one or two lockups. Since up grading to 2.71/2.5 I have had no problem. WAAS is off.

Geoff

Well, I talked to Garmin and they said to return it.

I messed around with it some more on my bike today. City Select messed up right away. I tried and tired to get it to lock up on topoUSA and it finally did once. So city select is much worse.

Well they overnighted me a new unit. And guess what it does the exact same thing. The problem appears to be with City Select. Is anyone operating City Navigator 7 with the firnware 2.71 abd software 2.5 and it working OK? I went out with city select on my card and topousa on the card that came with the unit. I am waiting on hold for tech support.

Darn. Now I am worried that CitySelect is not the problem. This is simply really strange. Tech support finally agreed to burn me a DVD with City Navigator on it (none in stock) and overnight it to me to see if that fixes it. I am going on aq long trip Thursday so I sure hope this fixes it. I also tried changing it back to 2.70 from 2.71 and it still locks up on City Select and works fine on topoUSA.

Myotis,

A friend of mine owns a 60CSx. He had a similar problem with his maps, which he FIXED. He sent me this email:

I kept dropping maps, too. Finally I figured out that the card was moving around in the holder. I put a small piece of sponge rubber over it and no more problems. The batteries hold the sponge in place and the sponge holds the card in place.

I hope this helps.

TracknQ

I got City Navigator and tried it and it locked up within a few minutes too.

But I think I may have determined the problem, my custom POIs. I have about 5,000 of them in several different files. I took and only uploaded one of the files that did not have files anywhere near here and I was not able to get it to lock up. So I have to go to a meeting now and I will take my GPS with me and see what happens.

I have a similar probelm with my 60CSx. It freezes up at roudabouts mostly at a particular roundabout near my home following a route in a car. To get the unit back, no buttons do anything, I can not even switch it off. the only thing I can do is take the batteries out. Appart from that, everything functions very good, I am content with the device.

I am using software 2.70/2.50 with city navigator v8, 512Mb card

I have had mine lock up when I go to move the cursor around the map it will freeze and require me to restart it. I have also had problems with the map just locking up when I switch between follow road and off-road, the cursor will just stay on the road and ill have to restart the unit.

Both issues are pretty rare but frustrating none the less.

With no help from Garmin, I think I got the problem narrowed down to proximity POIs. When I load a file that has some POI with a proximity alert, the problems begin. When I go into system setup and turn off proximity alerts, the problem goes away. What is also interesting is the file has a POI about 3/4 of a mile from me, but I do not have a proximity alert set for that POI just other POIs in the file over 100 miles from me. But there are two spots between my house and the POI in the file that it almost always will lock up at (it does not with the proximity alerts turned off). So apparently when you load a file with a proximity alert in it, it does something that locks up the map. I have given Garmin this informaiton and I am hoping this time someone who knopws what they are doing addresses it and figures it out.

Anyone out there with proximity alert POIs without this problem?