Abbreviations And Mnemonics In The Forums

Mobile phone texts cost money so it is only reasonable to try and abbreviate the messages. However, in these forums there is no such requirement. Ok... some abbreviations (like the previous one) such as LOL etc are well understood but some are not. Recently at work, I witnessed the humiliation of a colleague who received an e-mail using the abbreviation LMAO. He was told that this meant 'Learn More About Outlook'. He immediately responded with a CLEM (Career Limiting E-Mail). Please don't assume that everyone understands this nonsense. In a forum, there really is no need for it at all.

Martin

Mobile phone texts cost money so it is only reasonable to try and abbreviate the messages. However, in these forums there is no such requirement. Ok... some abbreviations (like the previous one) such as LOL etc are well understood but some are not. Recently at work, I witnessed the humiliation of a colleague who received an e-mail using the abbreviation LMAO. He was told that this meant 'Learn More About Outlook'. He immediately responded with a CLEM (Career Limiting E-Mail). Please don't assume that everyone understands this nonsense. In a forum, there really is no need for it at all.

Martin

Here's a little list I prepared for another site

Ah the mystery of the interweb eh?

ITWIM - Is this what it means?

KISS - Keep it simple Stupid (not you I hasten to add)

KWIM - Know what I mean

DIM - Did it myself

RE - Reference

SAR -Smart a** Remarks

ROTFLSHISMC, ROFLMAO - variations on ROFL Rolling on the floor larfing ie ROFL so hard I spilled my coffeee, ROFl my a** off, ROFLMHO - Rolling On Floor Laughing My Head Off,

ROFLOL - Rolling On the Floor Laughing Out Loud and so on...

PTMM - Please tell me more

YKWIM - You know what I mean

POV - Point of view

OTOH - On the other hand

ISO - In search of [answers, enlightenment, the bloke who smacked my car etc.)

IMHO - In My Honest Opinion

HAK - Hugs and kisses

HAND - Have a nice day [y'all]

GTG - Got to go

GR8 - Great

BBS - Be back soon

TTFN - (A real old one this) Ta Ta for now

Like all jargon it is doublespeak and therefore doubleplus ungood!

Here's hoping it helps :P

Edited by Rebble

IMHO... Some TLAs are so commonly used that I don't think their use here is inappropriate. ROFLMAO, FFS and NSFW may be a bit more obscure but if you don't know what they mean, you can i) ask or ii) look it up - the Internet's full of answers. Your friend wasn't humiliated by the term used in an email, or by their own lack of knowledge (we all start knowing next to nothing about anything) but by whoever told them some BS which lead to the CLEM. The blame and guilt lies with them. I've not seen similar behaviour in these forums. And at least shorthand's nice and easy to spell :P

Recently at work, I witnessed the humiliation of a colleague who received an e-mail using the abbreviation LMAO. He was told that this meant 'Learn More About Outlook'. He immediately responded with a CLEM (Career Limiting E-Mail).

I was tempted to reply "LMAO@CLEM", as I hadn't heard of it (CLEM) before.

I agree that not everybody has heard of all the acronyms. However, someone who receives an unknown acronym in an e-mail - particularly in an organisation where, apparently, humiliation is a standard practice among staff :P - might perhaps want to do a little Googling.

might perhaps want to do a little Googling.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Not using abbreviations in the forums? They have been part of our spoken and written languages for years, so as far as I concerned it's SNAFU.

Edited by BlueDeuce
IMHO... Some TLAs are so commonly used that I don't think their use here is inappropriate. ROFLMAO, FFS and NSFW may be a bit more obscure but if you don't know what they mean, you can i) ask or ii) look it up - the Internet's full of answers. Your friend wasn't humiliated by the term used in an email, or by their own lack of knowledge (we all start knowing next to nothing about anything) but by whoever told them some BS which lead to the CLEM. The blame and guilt lies with them. I've not seen similar behaviour in these forums. And at least shorthand's nice and easy to spell wink.gif

Sorry Simply Paul, the story about my coleagues e-mail and 'learn more about outlook' was put in there just to add a hint of light humour not to illustrate the problem with abbreviations.

They have been part of our spoken and written languages for years, so as far as I concerned it's SNAFU.

Just because folk have been doing it for a long time doesn't make it right. It simply amounts to laziness.

Edited by Team Maddie UK

Let's not just call it laziness. The abbs etc are used for speed as well. Some members try to use the forum as a chat program too.

The youth that use the forum are too used to txt spk and abbs and is second nature to them (unfortunately - IMHO).

So, who's going to write the Greasemonkey script to filter out threads / posts with TLA's?

:ph34r:

Let's not just call it laziness. The abbs etc are used for speed as well. Some members try to use the forum as a chat program too.

The youth that use the forum are too used to txt spk and abbs and is second nature to them (unfortunately - IMHO).

So, who's going to write the Greasemonkey script to filter out threads / posts with TLA's?

:ph34r:

Rolling on the floor laughing my axxx off

:ph34r::ph34r:;)

Martin

I have an 18 yr old son who texts me and I have to ask the young ones at work what it means!

His texts always end with TB. No one knew what this meant so in the end I text him back and said what does TB mean? He replied it means 'text back' and ended the text with tb ....DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! LOL

One that used to puzzle me a lot was the word BUMP on some posts, it took me a while to work that one out too :ph34r:

I know a lot of the abbriviations but not them all.

BTW (by the way) why is abbriviations such a long word?

Lolly

We don't text ,so, so far the only abreviation we understand on this tread is O.K. :ph34r:

Please, would someone tell us the meaning of LOL because we have often wondered.

Ahh.. that would be Laughing Out Loud

Oh... that's disappointing. I always thought it was 'Lots of Love' :ph34r:

IMHO, a better script would be one that simply underlines the abbrivations (now how do you abbriviate that!) and makes it so pointing at the word will give you a 'translation' in a little yellow box when you point at it :ph34r:

They have been part of our spoken and written languages for years, so as far as I concerned it's SNAFU.

Just because folk have been doing it for a long time doesn't make it right. It simply amounts to laziness.

Ah, isn’t that pretty much what I said?

Situation normal, all fouled up.

edited to mention that I don't even like writing 'thru' for through.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Ah, isn’t that pretty much what I said?

Situation normal, all fouled up.

edited to mention that I don't even like writing 'thru' for through.

Err.. sorry about that... I obviously missed the intent.

That's a very 'polite' translation of SNAFU by the way :ph34r:

It can mean either.

Since OK is short for Okay, it's not an acronym and doesn't need the full stops in it, thus: O.K. - I don't know where that convention came from but I have seen it from time to time. Perhaps it's a reaction to K.O. which does need the full stops as it's short for Knock Out.

I have a bee in my bonnet about 'til (short for until) being written as till (something in a shop money's put into) but I see kJ Rowing does it, and if it's good enough for her...

My point is the language doesn't stand still and Internet/text shorthand is a reflection of that. It's use is no more laziness than using a Smile to put the tone of your post across more effectively: :ph34r:

Limiting its use here makes no more sense than asking people to write 'Took Nothing Left Nothing, Thanks For This Cache' in full in their logs. Once you know what TNLN, TFTC means, that's all one needs to write.

Edited by Simply Paul

My point is the language doesn't stand still and Internet/text shorthand is a reflection of that. It's use is no more laziness than using a Smile to put the tone of your post across more effectively: :ph34r:

Limiting its use here makes no more sense than asking people to write 'Took Nothing Left Nothing, Thanks For This Cache' in full in their logs. Once you know what TNLN, TFTC means, that's all one needs to write.

Language exists for the purpose of communication. It has taken years to develop and, yes, it does not stand still. In the case of the mobile telephone 'text' fad it has its place as it does take a while to type out a message on one of those infernal gadgits.

Smilies, or emoticons, are a completely different issue and have nothing to do with language. They act as a very effective visual aid to communication when you are not face to face with or even hearing the tone of voice of the person communicating. They do not require translation as many abbreviations do.

In the case of log books, space is frequently an issue and there are perfectly good arguments for abbreviations such as the ones that you mention.

Finally, it is normal procedure when using abbreviations in any document that the abbreviation is spelled out in the first instance. This is to ensure the effectiveness of the communication and is done for a very good reason; that being that not everyone may understand what the abbreviation stands for. This was my point. There has already been one post in this thread from someone who was not aware of the meaning of LOL; An abbreviation which to many seasoned internet users may appear obvious.

The forums are about communication and so we should strive to ensure that our posts do just that to anyone who chooses to read them.

Martin

When in France you should learn to speak French.

When in Germany you should learn to speak German.

When in Cyberspace you should learn Netspeak.

It's just good manners and there's no need to be ignorant of the meaning of acronyms when you can easily Google for them.

Internet acronyms have evolved (are evolving) to save time needlessly typing out long sentences. Acronyms are widely accepted in all walks of life and if you don't know the meaning of NASA, LASER or HTTP then you're expected to find out.

I suggest that the accusation of laziness should be directed toward those who refuse to do their research rather than those who embrace our expanding, and contracting, language.

IMHO

Since OK is short for Okay, it's not an acronym and doesn't need the full stops in it, thus: O.K. - I don't know where that convention came from but I have seen it from time to time. Perhaps it's a reaction to K.O. which does need the full stops as it's short for Knock Out.

[anorak]

Weeeeelll. According to 'Eats, Shoots & Leaves' by Lynne Truss (a brilliant book) putting full stops in the middle of acronyms and abbreviations is no longer considered necessary!! :)

[/anorak]

But I agree - abbrevations are simply a way of making postings more colourful - just like smilies :cry:

- Geoff

embrace our expanding, and contracting, language.

I presume that Kulcha is an example of this contracting nature that you speak of. Hmmm. I wonder how a foreigner who was not aware of the meaning of the word would find out. Of course, if it were spelt correctly, he/she could perhaps work it out from its latin roots. ie. cultura

Again, let us not lose sight of the purpose of language and the roots from which it came.

Martin

Communication is about what is recieved and not what is sent.

Thus in Germany learn German because not to means you will not be understood.

Here in Cyberspace some of us (the majority?) don't understand. On another forum I have to ignore one persons posts as it either takes me too long to work out what he is saying in "Textspeak", or I can't understand.

But then as 40 becons perhaps I am becoming an old fogie.

I presume that Kulcha is an example of this contracting nature that you speak of. Hmmm. I wonder how a foreigner who was not aware of the meaning of the word would find out. Of course, if it were spelt correctly, he/she could perhaps work it out from its latin roots. ie. cultura

Again, let us not lose sight of the purpose of language and the roots from which it came.

Martin

"Kulcha" is merely a bit of whimsy. If you get the reference then fine, but it's not essential to understand my name as long as you get my meaning. I'm not sure that you did either.

Just for the record "Kulcha" is as much a reference to the Irish "Kulchie" as it is to "culture".

Never mind, I forgive your presumption since you are unaware of the roots of my language and where I come from.

Martin

Martin

I can't understand what yout getting at?

You have used abbreviations yourself in the past. :cry:

Martin

"Kulcha" is merely a bit of whimsy. If you get the reference then fine, but it's not essential to understand my name as long as you get my meaning. I'm not sure that you did either.

Just for the record "Kulcha" is as much a reference to the Irish "Kulchie" as it is to "culture".

Never mind, I forgive your presumption since you are unaware of the roots of my language and where I come from.

My sincere apologies. I did think after I posted that I may have missed something like that. It is so easy in this environment for that to happen and I would offer that also as a good reason to ensure that our communication is good. Of course I am not aware of your origins as I am sure you are not aware of mine. (I grew up in Edinburgh and do have a reasonable grasp of Scottish culture but, of course, you may not be from there originally either and I will not presume otherwise).

Well, I really didn't intend to start a huge debate on language and communication when I launched this thread. It was based on an observation that not all abbreviations are necessarily understood by all of us and that perhaps we could be a little careful when we use them. Also, I am certainly not disallusioned enough to think that a 50+ old fogey can make any difference to the downward spiral that, to me, is our ability to communicate in this world. It was all sparked off by an abbreviation that had nothing to do with Geocaching and which was helpfully explained by another on that thread. Perhaps a few glasses of wine also had something to do with it :cry::D:D

Anyway, I did not wish to upset anyone and if I have I unreservedly apologise for that. I'll close this thread now and climb back under my rock :D:):D