Geocaching To Be Outlawed!

Sorry for the title however my brother was researching a unrelated topic and came across a DEFRA consulatation document concerning amendments to Council Bylaws in the UK specifically their application to the use of the countryside for recreation see link

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...tion%2Dbyelaws/ (see sections marked consulatation document)

In amongst the usual government speak is a section concerning Geocaching specifically on of the consulted bodies suggested Geocaching should be included under controlled/excluded activities.

This does not mean Geocaching was to be included however the State has it's eye on Geocaching and it may be included in future reviews of Council bylaws controlling or prohibiting certain activities.

As a newbie does Geocahing have a representative body? Will this body be able to represent Geocacher's if this past time comes under the spotlight?

:P

Edited by Rebble

Heres the Geocaching mentions... from the following document..

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...analysis%20.pdf

37. One respondent thought that the wording for certain activities was not sufficiently broad, giving the example of some airborne activities. It was also noted that there was nothing relating to recently developed activities such as geocaching.

------

New issues suggested

57. Five respondents raised seven additional issues which they believed warranted new clauses.

• Prevention of damage to ancient monuments and to trees

• Trespass

• The control of hot air ballooning, especially where nuisance occurs

• Geocaching

• Ban on alcohol consumption apart from barbecue areas

• The carrying of guns

I've had a quick skim over the document but I can't see any reference - which page is it on please?

It's in "Analysis of Responses" page 8 section 37 and page 12 section 57 "New Issues Suggested" 3rd bullet point in section.

If you want to see the whole consultation excercise see http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...eation-byelaws/

Ah everyone beat me to it :P

Edited by Rebble
37. One respondent thought that the wording for certain activities was not sufficiently broad, giving the example of some airborne activities. It was also noted that there was nothing relating to recently developed activities such as geocaching.

Sorry - my warped sense of humour.... Airborne Geocaching...

My New Cache +Cumulonimbus+ is at 21000 feet - just past the third cloud on the left when travelling from Bristol Airport to Newquay International....

Edited by Birdman-of-liskatraz

It was precisely for this sort of situation that the Geocaching Association of Great Britain was formed and continues to coordinate the obtaining of permission from landowners and to promote the good perception of Geocaching in the public eye http://gagb.org.uk/

So should I email them?

I will be very surprised if one of the GAGB Committee has not read this topic and will post a reply soon. But if it worries you why not copy your original posting to the GAGB forum.

It was precisely for this sort of situation that the Geocaching Association of Great Britain was formed and continues to coordinate the obtaining of permission from landowners and to promote the good perception of Geocaching in the public eye http://gagb.org.uk/

So should I email them?

I will be very surprised if one of the GAGB Committee has not read this topic and will post a reply soon. But if it worries you why not copy your original posting to the GAGB forum.

Thanks John I will :P

Sorry - my warped sense of humour.... Airborne Geocaching...

My New Cache +Cumulonimbus+ is at 21000 feet - just past the third cloud on the left when travelling from Bristol Airport to Newquay International....

Sorry, no promotion of your own caches :P

So should I email them?

I wouldn't be too surprised

civilised

Some form of official recognition then. A few thousand people across the whole of the UK have created that much of an impact that we are to be investigated.

I'm not sure what they are pointing at but only one clause says 'ban' and I have no idea how they are going to ban alcohol consumption in such a wide area.

I would guess that they would produce a set of rules regulating the placing of caches to create the least damage, not unlike the guidelines we already have.

As an example of "Joined up Government" what was at the time ODPM were trying to promote Geocaching a couple of years ago as a way that Local Authorities could encourage people to use the countryside and exercise!

Joined-up government - that's one of those oxymorons!