Gps 60cx - Looking For Some Opinions

Hi-

Just looking for user opinions on this unit. I'm thinking of upgrading from the 60C. Specifically:

1) How is the sensitivity? Is it that much better than traditional units thus far? Does it maintain a signal lock indoors?

2) Can I use any micro SD card or must it come from garmin specifically?

3) Is the elevation more stable since the unit is more sensitive? I'm not going with the "S" model for a few reasons, having nothing to do with cost. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

Hi-

Just looking for user opinions on this unit. I'm thinking of upgrading from the 60C. Specifically:

1) How is the sensitivity? Is it that much better than traditional units thus far? Does it maintain a signal lock indoors?

2) Can I use any micro SD card or must it come from garmin specifically?

3) Is the elevation more stable since the unit is more sensitive? I'm not going with the "S" model for a few reasons, having nothing to do with cost. I'm just curious.

Thanks!

I just recieved the 60 csx for my birthday and we did a heads up chache off on 1 cache with my brothers 76 cs and it was definatly more accurate. I seem to get better indoors signal than I did with my magellan, and after placing 3 caches I have not recieved any complaints on the coordinates I got from useing the average functions. Overall I am really impressed with the unit. Is definatly a big improvement over my magellan.

There are plenty of threads on this, but I'll pipe in anyway:

I just purchased a 60cx about two weeks ago, and the signal lock is amazing. I live in a basment apartment, and, with shades drawn, still get a lock +/- 20'. Outdoors, I usually get a lock of 15' average. sometimes more, sometimes less. And, it locks satellites dadgum near instantly. As soon as I turn it on, I have lock.

As far as the card, I'm not sure. I have heard some people purchased 1 gig cards for theirs, and the cost wasnt too bad. As far as what kind of card; factory installed Micro SD card, 64meg. Mine is a sandisk, so, you should be fine with any of them.

the cx doesnt have an altimiter per say, I have one on my watch that, should I need it, I use. I have heard that the altimeters in GPS' are notoriously inaccurate. I have no experience with it whatsoever, so I cant help you out there.

I was previously using a foretrex 201, prior to this. I love the mapping capability of the 60cx, which is exactly why I went with one.

Thanks!

Sensitvity is great compared to my Vista. Outdoors in the clear they both work well but in tree cover, canyons or indoors my 60CSx keeps the lock where my Vista does not.

I dont find the elevation to be any more stable than the vista and if anything it seems less stable but I use it just to see the changes over a hike and for that its fine.

I have had my 60CSX for a few months now, and have yet to lose lock when I am outdoors. A week ago I was caching with my son. He was losing lock quite often with my "old" 60CS, and my 60CSX kept lock. I have been using a 512 san disc micro SD with no problems.

The elevation appears about the same in both units

I just bought a 60CSX last week. It really holds a fix good. I was just outside with it a few minutes ago and my old etrex couldn't even get started. It finally got 3 birds and an EPE of 213 ft. The 60CSX was stable at 25 ft EPE. Yesterday I was at the Mall. I had my CSx in my pocket so I tried it inside the mall. What do you know, it locked on right away and gave me a 12 ft EPE. I've only had a chance to try it once on a hunt and went right too the cache under heavy Hemlock trees. I couldn't even see the sky. patter :P

Hi-

Thanks!

Hi,

I've had my 60Csx for about 2 months now, this is my first receiver, so I can't compare, but I am overall very happy with it, but with a few comments :

1) most current issue : "weak signal" happens quite often, and I have to turn GPS off and back on to get signal. This morning it was not even sufficient. I've had to turn the whole receiver off and back on to have it work again.

2) compass ring gets stuck sometimes, as well as geocaching arrow. I need to recalibrate the compass to have it work again.

3) device seems to be very sensitive to reflection and sometimes gives inaccurate positions. Two weeks ago, I was geocaching in Madrid, with a park one side of a street, so clear view, and a wall of old building on the other side. For half an hour, GPSr was hesitating a lot between wall and park, I had to inspect every possible caching hole of the wall, and the micro-cache finally was on the opposite side, the park side.

Yesterday, cache hunting again, in a relatively well open space between high church wall and tree foliage. Red arrow heading towards cache supposed location and then 20 to 30 meters away and then back to initial point. A bit frustrating.

Sensitiveness :

Overall good to very good, but with variable results.

At night in my bed (and no, I don't sleep with my 60Csx !) under sheets and blankets with windows well closed by plastic shutters, walls made of concrete, I still have a very acceptable signal with EPE about 15 meters. On the other side, this morning, in the train, receiver in my pocket was loosing signal.

Wandering issue when potential reflection, no wandering at all in great open sky view.

GPS altimeter : appears to be very precise in great open sky view.

Barometric altimeter feature : I love it.

That's all folks.

pyt22fr

Edited by pyt22fr

I purchased a 60cx as an upgrade to my eTrex Legend C and I have found it to be a substantial difference. I no longer lose signal when the Legend would have dropped under different conditions (in my pocket, under tree cover, etc.)

Example - right now - in a window office on the 14th floor of a 22 story building in downtown Cleveland, OH - reading +/- 18 feet, locked on 7 sats.

I <3 my 60cx! :ph34r:

I upgraded from a 60C to a 60Cx shortly after the new ones were first available and I'm very satisfied. As you mentioned, the "CS" model with altimeter and active compass is of little use/importance to me in the type of hunting I do out here in the "flatlands" so I just stuck with the "C". As nice as the 60C was/is, it's hard to believe that it is now my "backup" unit. :ph34r:

My experience is that the 60Cx has lived up to most all of the "hype" you have heard or read. It is quite a bit more "sensitive" than the 60C. Mine acquires satellites quickly (although not quite as fast as oldsoldier mentioned). Most notably for me, in the woods it holds lock and updates considerably faster than the 60C – a key feature for my use.

Does it maintain signal lock indoors? Yes, much more so than the 60C - but why is that important? My PC is in the lower floor of a tri-level house, so the Cx does obtain and keep signal lock through the structure above, but weakly.

I upgraded to the 1GB SanDisk card and have loaded maps of all of my state, all surrounding states, and several other areas of interest in my travels. All that information took up only about half of the storage space on that TINY little chip – amazing!

I've done many hand-in-hand, side-by-side field comparisons of the two units. With the exception of the most notable acquisition and updating speed difference mentioned above, I've noticed very little difference in actual performance accuracy. At one location the Cx will be closer but at the next location the C is closer – probably about 50/50 – but both quite accurate. I'd expect them to read almost exactly the same at all times, but in reality they don't.

Another difference that I've noticed between the two units is that the "Accuracy" window (with WAAS on) on the Cx usually reads in the 12'-15'' range, and I don't recall ever seeing it go below 10'. On the other hand (pun intended) the C regularly reads in the 6'-10' range. I realize that the "Accuracy" is mostly a relative indication (not really a performance measure) with several variables, but I surmised that the newer chip would give better theoretical accuracy.

Maybe it's because of the area of the country I live in (Nebraska) but I seldom receive WAAS satellites in a dependable manner where they are of much use. I always leave the WAAS function activated merely in the hope that maybe it does provide better accuracy in the times when I am receiving WAAS signal.

Hope all this babble is of some use… :ph34r: