New 24 Hour Record For Finding Most Caches (312) Has Been Set

....You can separate the person from the action....

Bingo. If the discussion can stay that way, great. If not, then respect is lost.

In my view Keystone remains worthy of respect and I know we won't agree on things down the road. But then he doesn't make things personal or take them personalyl.

It's probably a good thing I haven't read the posts that caused this one or I'd likely drop a few people a few notches.

DOES ANY "RECORD" REALLY COUNT IN THIS GAME ANYWAY?

I don't think so, the game is just not "set up" that way. We have no international sanctioning body to govern such things and when it comes down to logging caches it is far to subjective and not set to a universal standard. A huge aspect of this game currently is the honor system where you are expected to have found every cache you say you did, trade fair and certainly not harm or remove a cache. This is all well and good for the recreational level that many operate on, but it seems now that many desire a more competitive game with hard and fast standards and accurate statistics. As everyone is probably aware a "find" is currently verified (or not) by the cache owner which as I said this method is way too subjective and open for manipulation for "serious" record keeping and statistics.

SHOULD AN INTERNATIONAL GOVERNING BODY BE FORMED?

I am sure it would radically change the nature of the game and also surely the position of the major commercial entity involved. How would the cache publishing sites play into all this? I don't know how it would work personally, but if it happens it would certainly be up to sharper minds than me to work out. Some would be perhaps for it, others would not I am sure. We are seeing schisms being formed right now over the prevailing issues and this would be sure to cause more.

All things to consider.

I'd pontificate more now, but I am late for my return to the "real world".

Someone please close this thread. Personally I'm tired :blink: of seeing it at the top. Yeah, yeah, they goofed. BIG DEAL!!! Go play the game your way.

By the way, opinions are like a--holes. Everbody has one and they all usually stink. :P

Wow...no post for a day and a half and you bump it up to ask that it be closed.

Amazing...

Wow...no post for a day and a half and you bump it up to ask that it be closed.

Amazing...

Glad he did. I wanted to know what all the fuss has been about lately since I've been gone.

I'll just throw my 2 pennies in for the hell of it now that I've gotten to the end of the topic...

I don't recognize their effort as being anything great or to be celebrated. The team distorted the basic logistics of geocaching (didn't mark every logbook) and did so in such a way as to deface geocaches (writing on geocaches). While noble, compensation for the damage doesn't warrant reconsideration of the validity of the record attempt.

It's also somewhat disengenuous for a "team" to search for more than one cache at a time (i.e. be spread further than the accuracy of their GPSr and/or 500 feet with the intent of finding multiple closely-hidden caches) in order to multiplex their time and leverage their numbers advantage. Each one was only found by part of the team because the other parts of the team were in no way making any efforts to find the other cache at the time. In that sense, you could take 8 people to find 8 different caches in the same park...why hold yourself to a 0.5 mile tether? Also in that same sense, you could take 40 people to find the same 8 caches...why hold yourself to only a single van when you could bring a bus and make it even faster to have found everything through sheer brute force?

The lack of a signed logbook are enough for me to discount their efforts in my mind. The rest of the problems I have with this record attempt are just extra reasons for me to easily dismiss it as nothing exemplary.