New 24 Hour Record For Finding Most Caches (312) Has Been Set

I met all of the team members involved and found them to be great individuals; they are not cheats or vandals. The German clan is a great bunch of geocachers. One mistake does not make a person, if it did we would all be damned. Some of the posts on this thread are from people who met the record team, shook hands with them and congratulated them but now you jump on a bandwagon and criticize the whole event and run.

One particular individual from the German clan seemed to enjoy his time here immensely, he found new friends, cached with a great group of people for twenty-four hours, and it will be something that he can take back to Germany with him. Why do you let one mistake cloud the whole entire trip for the team? If it wasn't the markings that you would complain about it would be the numbers? When the record was set, there were numerous posts about cheating and how it couldn't be done. The same posts were made about the second record run. Let it go, you have an apology and you have a solution to rectifying the problem.

Now, as far as Ed (TheAlabamaRambler/NatureFish) goes. I have known Ed for over three years, he is a kind, honest individual that loves geocaching. He has over 3000 finds but doesn't log them because it isn't about the numbers to him, it is about the friends he makes and the people he brings to caching. For example: he created the first AGA Georace, paid for it out of his pocket, he became the reviewer for Arkansas and booked a weekend there so that he could meet the geocachers in the area and have a full weekend for the event, and he also planned several boat trips for AL cachers. He never asked for a dime from anyone.

Ed drove four hormonal females around GW4 and took them to places at all times of the day, including 3am, he never asked for a dime from anyone nor did he complain, whine or deny the individuals from going to places that were fun. I have never laughed so hard in my life when you find a grown man being run over by a bull with four women on the back or running through Dallas at 3am.

At GW4, he brought his personal geocoin as well as his reviewer coin. He didn't sell them, he didn't ask for trades. HE GAVE THEM AWAY. Cachers would come up to him and he would hand them a coin, people would say that they didn't have anything to trade yet he didn't care. He wanted them to have the coin. He spent numerous hours planning the trip for GW4 and never complained. He has hosted at least 10 events and attended 183, he enjoys meeting people and having fun. He claims to have made a mistake, move on. Let GW4 be remembered for what it was, FUN.

If you don't like the fact that many geocachers like numbers, who cares. Play your game the way you want to, don't try to dictate anyone else's game. Is geocaching only about 5 mile hikes to the top of a mountain where only a select few can go or where only a few can get to it?

I'll give ya vandalism. But my dictionary defines cheating as "to deliberately violate rules".

Not "to do something I wouldn't do or don't think is right". :)

If the rules are posted for all to see and people still violate them willfully, is that 'deliberate' enough to call cheating? I think that it probably is.

Aside from the vandalism, which I've acknowledged, which "rule" was broken? Please enlighten me. And please don't quote GUIDLINES, GENERALLY ACCEPTED PRACTICE or the GEOCACHERS CREED. None of those are "rules".

How's this? Note, it says logbook, not "outside of the cache container"

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

I added the bold to the quoted section taken from the geocaching FAQ, found here: http://www.geocaching.com/faq/

Dude, what part of aside from vandalism are you having a problem with?

I met all of the team members involved and found them to be great individuals; they are not cheats or vandals. The German clan is a great bunch of geocachers. One mistake does not make a person, if it did we would all be damned. Some of the posts on this thread are from people who met the record team, shook hands with them and congratulated them but now you jump on a bandwagon and criticize the whole event and run....EDITED FOR BREVITY...

I don't doubt that the members of the team are great guys who enjoyed their time at GW4. There is also no doubt that Ed is widely respected, both as a wonderful person and one who has contributed a great deal to the geocaching community. From everything I know about him, his reputation is well deserved.

Still, you have to admit that the guys screwed up. By splitting up and not signing logs it makes thier record claim specious at best. Marking containers is borderline vandalism.

I don't think many here are questioning their decency as individuals, but their collective judgement in this case has been lacking and I'm sorry to say that they deserved the spanking they received.

I speak as one who came to their defense as soon as questions were brought up about this record run and found myself sitting there with egg on my face when it turned out that the allegations were true.

Edited by briansnat

LadeBear68........Thank God we have a voice of reason on the forums. Finally someone who isnt so quick to join the crowd. I couldnt agree with you more Ladebear68. You made many good points.

What saddens me is that GW4 was a worldwide event, many people from all over showed up in Texas to celebrate this hobby/sport of ours. To continue to pick apart every freaking action that was made on part of the record breaking team is non-sense. It irrates me more when we go from talking about a marking on an ammo can to hiding caches in schools and airports and guidelines. Dont compare apples to oranges.....in retropect maybe it wasnt the best idea to sign the outside of the containers, I think everyone has made that loud and clear, BUT wouldnt it be more productive to come up with another idea or a better solution.

I think that these record breaking runs are here to stay, and they are fun to watch and I cant wait to hear from some of the crew when I see them again...

Thanks again LadeBear68!

In retropect maybe it wasnt the best idea to sign the outside of the containers, I think everyone has made that loud and clear, BUT wouldnt it be more productive to come up with another idea or a better solution.

Maybe sign the log???

In retropect maybe it wasnt the best idea to sign the outside of the containers, I think everyone has made that loud and clear, BUT wouldnt it be more productive to come up with another idea or a better solution.

Maybe sign the log???

Exactly.

LadeBear68...like many have said, I am sure those guys involved are great people.

However, in their quest for glory in this record run, they screwed up badly. To me, what they did wasn't about geocaching so much as it was about making a name for themselves. I, for one, can never recognize this attempt as a record. A find is a find if you sign the log. They didn't do this...no, they pretty much vandalized cache containers.

I met all of the team members involved and found them to be great individuals; they are not cheats or vandals. The German clan is a great bunch of geocachers. One mistake does not make a person, if it did we would all be damned. Some of the posts on this thread are from people who met the record team, shook hands with them and congratulated them but now you jump on a bandwagon and criticize the whole event and run.

One particular individual from the German clan seemed to enjoy his time here immensely, he found new friends, cached with a great group of people for twenty-four hours, and it will be something that he can take back to Germany with him. Why do you let one mistake cloud the whole entire trip for the team? If it wasn't the markings that you would complain about it would be the numbers? When the record was set, there were numerous posts about cheating and how it couldn't be done. The same posts were made about the second record run. Let it go, you have an apology and you have a solution to rectifying the problem.

Now, as far as Ed (TheAlabamaRambler/NatureFish) goes. I have known Ed for over three years, he is a kind, honest individual that loves geocaching. He has over 3000 finds but doesn't log them because it isn't about the numbers to him, it is about the friends he makes and the people he brings to caching. For example: he created the first AGA Georace, paid for it out of his pocket, he became the reviewer for Arkansas and booked a weekend there so that he could meet the geocachers in the area and have a full weekend for the event, and he also planned several boat trips for AL cachers. He never asked for a dime from anyone.

Ed drove four hormonal females around GW4 and took them to places at all times of the day, including 3am, he never asked for a dime from anyone nor did he complain, whine or deny the individuals from going to places that were fun. I have never laughed so hard in my life when you find a grown man being run over by a bull with four women on the back or running through Dallas at 3am.

At GW4, he brought his personal geocoin as well as his reviewer coin. He didn't sell them, he didn't ask for trades. HE GAVE THEM AWAY. Cachers would come up to him and he would hand them a coin, people would say that they didn't have anything to trade yet he didn't care. He wanted them to have the coin. He spent numerous hours planning the trip for GW4 and never complained. He has hosted at least 10 events and attended 183, he enjoys meeting people and having fun. He claims to have made a mistake, move on. Let GW4 be remembered for what it was, FUN.

If you don't like the fact that many geocachers like numbers, who cares. Play your game the way you want to, don't try to dictate anyone else's game. Is geocaching only about 5 mile hikes to the top of a mountain where only a select few can go or where only a few can get to it?

Well said LadeBear. Unfortunately some of the fine folks in these forums never let go of anything. They remind me of my first wife.

These folks have apologized and have offered to replace the containers. Let it drop but remember it as a lesson.

I, for one, can never recognize this attempt as a record.

Lessons can be learnt...so what are the rules for a "recognised" record?

I'd expect that they would include the following points, to keep the record within the spirit of geocaching;

• team of any size allowed, but the "found" count claimed for the record is that of the team member who signed the most cache logs

• only serial finds to be counted, i.e. no-one in the team can start on the next cache until the current cache log has been signed

• no "guided" finds allowed: no logging of caches that anyone in the team has found before (even if they haven't logged them before) and no logging of caches where extra directions have been used (e.g. special help from the cache owner)

Any other suggestions? I know that this looks a bit "serious", but we can see what happens when a "record" is claimed then the rules used aren't what was expected! :rolleyes:

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I think everyone reading this thread, whether you support the team or not would love to see some closure on this. Unfortuantely, there's a rather large area of controversy which really hasn't been dealt with - the claim of a record. No one has come forward and offered to renounce that claim. I think a truly apologetic TEAM would be willing to admit they were out of line, and renounce their claim. We've seen one person come forward and try to make things right with the cache owners, and that's great. I admire him for his willingness to do so. But the record claim affects the entire geocaching community, including previous record holders and those who might wish to make their own attempt in the future. No one has apologized to them, or offered to make amends.

Let's consider those who might have wished to try for the record in the future. Why should they? If this record stands, and it was made by splitting up and signing containers, how could they possibly hope to beat it by following generally accepted guidelines? I don't think they'd have a chance. Is keeping such a bogus record fair to them? Definitely not.

And for those who held the previous record, who set it by staying together and opening every container to sign the actual log sheet inside, is this record claim fair to them? Heck no! They weren't even playing the same game, yet the "record" claimed is the same one - most caches in 24 hours.

I think we're all in agreement that signing cache containers is bad, and I think that Ed's offer to the owners of those caches is more than fair. If one of my caches had been signed, I'd accept his apology and not worry any more about it. Most of the nice folks in Texas apparently feel the same way.

So yes, some of the mistakes have been corrected, however there are some areas that haven't been addressed yet. Nor can they be, really, by just one person. As much as I know Ed would love to accept responsibility and make this all go away, I don't think he can. The team, as a team, should some together and collectively renounce this record attempt. Then, next year at GW5, they should try again using what they've learned this year, and really beat out the old record. No controversy, no drama. Just good clean fun, exactly what this game is supposed to be.

I met all of the team members involved and found them to be great individuals; they are not cheats or vandals.

Well, if writing on stuff isn't vandalism, I'm not sure teh rest of your post is worth reading, but I'll try.

The German clan is a great bunch of geocachers. One mistake does not make a person, if it did we would all be damned. Some of the posts on this thread are from people who met the record team, shook hands with them and congratulated them but now you jump on a bandwagon and criticize the whole event and run.

Um, so if someone doesn't know about teh vandalism, then finds out about later, they can't change their mind? Well, isn't that 'special'.

Knowingly vandalizing a cntainer is a 'mistake'?

What has any of that have to do with the vandalizing? Noone is calling him Hitler (that I am aware of). But they are saying he (and the team) was totally out of line, and so far, rather unrepetant about it.

Heck, I think I'll pee in cache containers now, to mark my visit, rather than sign the log. Don't you try to dictate to me my game! So what if it ruins the container or compromises the cache?

Wasn't it the Germans who held the record from GW3? It is also my understanding that they are still caching so it is possible they aren't even reading these posts.

I'm pretty sure Carsten was on the previous team, I don't know about the others. They may be caching still, however at least one or two of them have come in here to apologize in their own unique way :unsure: so they may or may not be reading these posts.

The previous record was held by GeoPirat (Carsten) and Husky.

I can assure you that they're not reading the posts right now. They are currently caching in Houston. I had breakfast with them and Lynn (CCCA) along with my local geobud Geekqualizer this morning.

I filled them in on the latest angst from folks who mostly weren't there and want nothing more than something to get good and mad about. :rolleyes:

Sheesh! If y'all knew some of the folks that you bash here in these forums, I'd be willing to bet it would be YOU doing the apologizing. ;)

in retropect maybe it wasnt the best idea to sign the outside of the containers
Correct.

I think everyone has made that loud and clear
Yuppers.

BUT wouldnt it be more productive to come up with another idea or a better solution.
How about signing the log instead of the container? With your real geocaching name that corresponds to an account on the geocaching.com site instead of some temporary, throw-away, made-up-for-convenience name that I won't be able to correlate between the log and the online logs.

I think that these record breaking runs are here to stay, and they are fun to watch
I'm sure everyone on the team had a huge amount of fun, and I'm sure other folks who attempt huge cache runs in the future will too. Nothing wrong with that.

Sheesh! If y'all knew some of the folks that you bash here in these forums, I'd be willing to bet it would be YOU doing the apologizing. :rolleyes:

I've met Carsten...had beers and food with him...swapped geocaching stories. He's a great guy. I'm sure the others on Team DRR are too.

That doesn't change my opinion of what they did.

I think everyone reading this thread, whether you support the team or not would love to see some closure on this. Unfortuantely, there's a rather large area of controversy which really hasn't been dealt with - the claim of a record. No one has come forward and offered to renounce that claim. I think a truly apologetic TEAM would be willing to admit they were out of line, and renounce their claim. We've seen one person come forward and try to make things right with the cache owners, and that's great. I admire him for his willingness to do so. But the record claim affects the entire geocaching community, including previous record holders and those who might wish to make their own attempt in the future. No one has apologized to them, or offered to make amends.

Let's consider those who might have wished to try for the record in the future. Why should they? If this record stands, and it was made by splitting up and signing containers, how could they possibly hope to beat it by following generally accepted guidelines? I don't think they'd have a chance. Is keeping such a bogus record fair to them? Definitely not.

And for those who held the previous record, who set it by staying together and opening every container to sign the actual log sheet inside, is this record claim fair to them? Heck no! They weren't even playing the same game, yet the "record" claimed is the same one - most caches in 24 hours.

I think we're all in agreement that signing cache containers is bad, and I think that Ed's offer to the owners of those caches is more than fair. If one of my caches had been signed, I'd accept his apology and not worry any more about it. Most of the nice folks in Texas apparently feel the same way.

So yes, some of the mistakes have been corrected, however there are some areas that haven't been addressed yet. Nor can they be, really, by just one person. As much as I know Ed would love to accept responsibility and make this all go away, I don't think he can. The team, as a team, should some together and collectively renounce this record attempt. Then, next year at GW5, they should try again using what they've learned this year, and really beat out the old record. No controversy, no drama. Just good clean fun, exactly what this game is supposed to be.

Why should the team bother renouncing the record? There is no official governing body that has set the guidelines for the record nor recognized this as the standing record. This is geocaching, the community. The claim was made in a forum thread (that a very small percentage of geocachers have read). The claim has been refuted by the portion of the geomunnity that participates in forum discussion and may or may not properly represent the geomunnity at large. Therefore on behalf of all who have posted in these forums I hereby declare:

THE TRIBE HAS SPOKEN: NO RECORD FOR YOU!!

BTW I'm part of the team that initially mentioned that the containers were defaced and the record run was questionable. I'm still moderately miffed about that, but have moved on. I'm more ferklempt about the fact that this and the other related threads have raged on for a full week now, while the unangsty 'tell me how much fun you had at GW4' thread has so little activity. Perhaps geocaching is all about having fun, but the forums are not? Or is this constant negative flow really fun? :rolleyes:

I've got one question. How does this have impact on or for that matter anything to do with the real world of caching?

It's just a stupid stunt. Yeah it's neat, impessive, cool, whatever but, Who the f*^% cares, and how will this affect any of you?

Ok, that's two questions.

Edited by Totem Clan

These folks have apologized and have offered to replace the containers. Let it drop but remember it as a lesson.

Do you have a link to this? I can't find it.

Link

Further, if you believe that your cache is damaged or compromised by our writing on it I will personally pay any costs related to refinishing or replacing your cotainer.

Sheesh! If y'all knew some of the folks that you bash here in these forums, I'd be willing to bet it would be YOU doing the apologizing. :rolleyes:

I've met Carsten...had beers and food with him...swapped geocaching stories. He's a great guy. I'm sure the others on Team DRR are too.

That doesn't change my opinion of what they did.

I'm not defending my friends The Crazy Germans. They can do that for themselves, but let's see a show of hands from the cache owners who had their caches signed and are actually posting on this thread...... Let's see some pictures of this gawd awful defacement FIRST HAND.

If it had been one of my caches, I wouldn't care, even if I didn't know them. I talked to cache owners at GW4 who were bummed to find out that their cache was one of the 40+ DNF's on that record run.

All I'm sayin' is save your righteous indignation for your own caches. The Germans are good for whatever they promised any cache owners who feel slighted........ Does anyone tend their own garden on these forums anymore??? :) Pardon the classic TV reference, but all the folks that are taking part in the witchhunt threads of late are a bunch of Gladys Cravitses. ;):unsure:

Let's see some pictures of this gawd awful defacement FIRST HAND.

See this posting on the Signing cache container instead of log thread.

Celticwulf

Again, not defending. Just posting my viewpoint.

OK. So it took 6 pages in that thread to turn up a photo. I like the comment. Maybe they took the time to paint the container gold BEFORE they signed it. :unsure:

Sooooo, how much compensation do ya think a rusty signed altoids tin is worth?

My torch is as yet unlit and my pitchfork is still in the tool shed.... :rolleyes:

Out caching today and had just enough batteries to snap a pic of this cache. It was real easy to find.

10c00448-f6c4-460f-bb1f-22e0c8a5d51f.jpg

Edited by Snoogans

This cache is one of those irony caches. The container is a UPS candy mint tin near a FedEx Kinko's. The container is probably somewhat rare. The cache is called What Can Brown Do For You Today?

This cache is one of those irony caches. The container is a UPS candy mint tin near a FedEx Kinko's. The container is probably somewhat rare. The cache is called What Can Brown Do For You Today?

I just got a wicked case of deja vu.

No, the irony is that people are all bent outta shape over a sig on a "lame micro" (other's term not mine) that the other thread(s) are complaining about.

Yay, the forums are officially stupider than a bag of hammers. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

Heh, found that one in the dark. Guess the defacement wasn't much of an edge on that one. :laughing:

PS a bag of hammers may be dum, but it sure hurts if you get hit upside the head with one, or if they are dropped on your toes! <_<

Edited by wimseyguy
think everyone reading this thread, whether you support the team or not would love to see some closure on this. Unfortuantely, there's a rather large area of controversy which really hasn't been dealt with - the claim of a record. No one has come forward and offered to renounce that claim. I think a truly apologetic TEAM would be willing to admit they were out of line, and renounce their claim. We've seen one person come forward and try to make things right with the cache owners, and that's great. I admire him for his willingness to do so. But the record claim affects the entire geocaching community, including previous record holders and those who might wish to make their own attempt in the future. No one has apologized to them, or offered to make amends.

You will be waiting a mighty long time to hear a retraction from me!

I did and do apologize for our signing the containers, and my offer to pay for or replace any signed cache at the owners request still stands, though not one owner has asked.

Now that I have been fired as a Reviewer for Groundspeak, I am able to state some things without the political correctness required of me until today.

Under the demanding requirements set forth in this thread, NO ONE has ever won the record. Leprechaun and CarleenP, despite all their criticism of us and the chest-pounding over their record, would be just as reviled as we have been if the truth ever comes out about their run.

Just as the coach of a football team never plays a scrimmage but is still credited with a win or loss for his team, I was with a team that found, touched and signed 312 caches in 24 hours. I claim to be a member, then, of the world record number of caches found in 24 hours team.

Whether signing the container constitutes a Groundspeak-legal log or not, we did find them and sign them.

Did every team member find each cache? No. We clearly spelled out in our run rules that any member that found it would sign for the team.

As team captain I rarely got out of the van, never signed a single cache. My responsibilities lay elsewhere.

To the best of my knowledge GeoPirat signed one cache, again, his duty was run management, record-keeping and giving the runners what info was known about the next cache.

Did we split up at times so that some could get caches along walking paths where the van could not go while the van went on to others - yes, and we stated up front that we would do so.

Whether you like the rules we concocted or not is pretty much irrelevant to me, as there were no rules but our own to follow, excepting perhaps the container signing.

The fact is eight cachers stated how we were going to do a run, did it, and claimed the record.

Comparison to any run that came before us is silly, since you don't know how that run was prepared. You do know how we did it, like it or not.

Retract? Heck no, I am proud to have been a part of this team! Let's see anyone else lay hands on 312 caches in 24 hours using the rules we followed and I will be happy to confer the title to them!

Ed

Under the demanding requirements set forth in this thread, NO ONE has ever won the record. Leprechaun and CarleenP, despite all their criticism of us and the chest-pounding over their record, would be just as reviled as we have been if the truth ever comes out about their run.

That's a pretty thorny allegation. Now that you have nothing to lose, why not be a bit more explicit?

What truth?

Retract? Heck no, I am proud to have been a part of this team! Let's see anyone else lay hands on 312 caches in 24 hours using the rules we followed and I will be happy to confer the title to them!

What title?

That's a pretty thorny allegation. Now that you have nothing to lose, why not be a bit more explicit?

What truth?

What title?

You know what? I just don't care anymore. Consider the source of the allegation, and the circumstances under which it was made.

I stand by everything I've said about my own run for 240 caches in 24 hours. I've not hidden any details. If anyone has any questions about it, they're free to ask me either publicly or privately.

You're right, it was a great navigational record, just not a geocaching record. <_<

But I already said that in here once somewhere. I'm too lazy to bother markwelling myself to a post where I quoted myself. :laughing:

IBLD

Wow. I'm not sure what to say.... :laughing: But I'll try to address this.

If you read back, you will see that I said that I don't agree with the decision to write on containers but that I felt your run was still a record, but one under different parameters than the previous ones. During that, I made a point of saying that I had met some of the members of your team (which includes yourself) and that I personally liked you all quite a bit and will continue to personally like you. I just didn't like the decision to mark up containers and the splitting up parameters made it different. I also said I hope that the beating you all have taken here doesn't diminsh too much the fun you had, and something to the effect that hopefully the threads would be helpful for people doing future runs. I also see that you made a kind offer about replacing written on containers. I like that!

I also don't remember any chest pounding over previous records. The one Lep and I did was beaten rather quckly by Team Rebellion, and then again by the German team (who I think followed the paramters that the previous teams followed for that one, but I have no personal knowledge). In both cases, I wrote to those people before their runs with advice and after with congrats. I don't see the record runs as a competition so much as a fun experience. I enjoyed watching the record get broken. But when the parameters are different they are different records. That is all.

In reality every team run is going to have slight differences and will be heavily scrutinzed. Ours was way back, so was the next and the next. If the parameters get way different though, then they become sort of their own records. My only big concern with this one was the writing on containers. But it doesn't change my view that you got a record (albeit perhaps a different record). Nor does my dislike of that change my personal fondness for you and your team.

As for your comment in a more general sense: I read that as pretty hurtful, especially when coming from a person who I view as a colleague and friend. <_< But I am chalking it up to the fact that the internet doesn't always get things across well, so I could have read more into it, or you could have read more into my previous comments. I also figure that this whole thing has likely been pretty trying for you and I understand how that can affect things. I will PM you with a bit more on that to try to clear things up.

If just touching the caches is what makes the record, then does Snoogans actually hold the record for most caches touched??? I recall something about him and or others putting together a very large number of caches to give away at GW4.

If just touching the caches is what makes the record, then does Snoogans actually hold the record for most caches touched??? I recall something about him and or others putting together a very large number of caches to give away at GW4.

I'm not claiming any record.... :laughing:

Well, I am guessing that Snoogans likely holds the record for most event caches given away! I remember the picture of his vehicle full of them!

I'm not claiming any record.... :laughing:

Record of of balls gotten at an event? We tied there, since I just gave you mine from before. No wait! I kept out to keep the one in the baggie I initially got from you! I win! <_<:ph34r:

Edited by carleenp

Retract? Heck no, I am proud to have been a part of this team! Let's see anyone else lay hands on 312 caches in 24 hours using the rules we followed and I will be happy to confer the title to them!Ed

I'm truly sorry you felt so personally attacked. Although some posters may have chosen that path, most didn't. :laughing:

Yes, I still think you could have made things so much better for the caching community by retracting your claim of any record (official or not) without retracting your right to have fun. In my mind, basic caching guidelines (sign the log, stay together) were followed by Lep and carleenp on their earlier run--it's really that simple and I think you'll soon realize that cachers (even those on these forums) still appreciate your caching ability and contributions. Perhaps most just don't approve of the mistake made by the team, not just by one person; they fear others will follow that pattern without a team apology/retraction for that erro, not for having fun and being great cachers.

WOW...too many logs to read all of this. Wasn't the point of this whole thing to bring people to some significant location of historical value, natural beauty or just a plain cool location? How in the hell does finding that many caches in one day even come close to that ideal?

Perhaps there needs to be separate records. This one, and all others prior to this of simular nature, need to be tucked away in the extreme catagory. The real caching records are the number of times you are standing totally stunned at the shear beauty of a location that someone you don't even know brought you to, that you had no clue even existed and find it hard to leave the location. I am betting that this record will be the most difficult to achieve and would bet that not many cachers can even boast of having a dozen in their caching experience. I can say that I have only experienced this 5 times in 3-4 years.

Have fun with your numbers. I will admit that I do go after numbers at times but only having under 400 finds (most of which I will admit are not worthy of my definition of a record) there was never even a chance of ever approaching 25 finds let only the numbers quoted here.

Just a rant from a contented cacher. Now get out those flame throwers and torch me!

...Whether signing the container constitutes a Groundspeak-legal log or not, we did find them and sign them.

Did every team member find each cache? No. We clearly spelled out in our run rules that any member that found it would sign for the team.

As team captain I rarely got out of the van, never signed a single cache. My responsibilities lay elsewhere.

To the best of my knowledge GeoPirat signed one cache, again, his duty was run management, record-keeping and giving the runners what info was known about the next cache.

Did we split up at times so that some could get caches along walking paths where the van could not go while the van went on to others - yes, and we stated up front that we would do so.

By your rules, I could have been a member of your team and logged the 312 caches from the comfort of my home. I'm sorry, but you simply must at least be at the cache site at the time of the find to claim a find.

This goes back to my post in the other thread regarding this being a personal game. You may hunt in packs, but you log online individually. Only members of the team that were at an individual cache site should claim a find for it.

Edited by sbell111

I am sorry, Carleen, I shouldn't have said that.

I am feeling a bit beat up right now, watching years of hard work to build a reputation as a supporter of this great game and friend to all geocachers go down the drain, largely due to unfounded speculation by people with no facts but lots of rabid accusations.

Still, Lep's posts are the only one's here that hurt me, surprised me, and I let them get to me.

As far as I can tell our runs differed in only two signifigant ways - y'all signed the log, we signed the container, and we didn't have the local Reviewer, any cache owners or locals with us taking us from cache to cache.

I admire the record y'all set, and have never criticized it or you, but Lep's blasts at me when I know he was toured around really upset me. Grossly unfair.

As to everyone else, I have said all I have to say about this topic. Y'all rant on without me.

Ed

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

I may be wrong about the timeframes, but I don't think he was a reviewer at the time (not that I can see how that would matter). Also, what's the big deal if a local drives you, as long as he doesn't give hints?

Edited by sbell111

You will be waiting a mighty long time to hear a retraction from me!

As team captain Irarely got out of the van, never signed a single cache. My responsibilities lay elsewhere.

Did we split up at times so that some could get caches along walking paths where the van could not go while the van went on to others - yes, and we stated up front that we would do so.Ed

I think those statements pretty much sums it all up regarding the "record" attempt

Edited by Ed & Julie

I am sorry, Carleen, I shouldn't have said that.

I am feeling a bit beat up right now, watching years of hard work to build a reputation as a supporter of this great game and friend to all geocachers go down the drain, largely due to unfounded speculation by people with no facts but lots of rabid accusations.

Still, Lep's posts are the only one's here that hurt me, surprised me, and I let them get to me.

As far as I can tell our runs differed in only two signifigant ways - y'all signed the log, we signed the container, and we didn't have the local Reviewer, any cache owners or locals with us taking us from cache to cache.

I admire the record y'all set, and have never criticized it or you, but Lep's blasts at me when I know he was toured around really upset me. Grossly unfair.

As to everyone else, I have said all I have to say about this topic. Y'all rant on without me.

Ed

Thanks TAR. I sent you an email after I made my post. Take a look and write back.