New 24 Hour Record For Finding Most Caches (312) Has Been Set

Sounds to me like great fun was had and NO HARM ,yes i said NO harm was done.

So if the pieces of a chess set were broken and you could no longer tell what piece was what, there is no harm done?

The containers were marked, not broken, save the drama...

So if the pieces of a chess set were broken and you could no longer tell what piece was what, there is no harm done?

True, but if you read much of this thread or related posts (like carleenp's last one), you'll see that many of the complaints haven't been about the numbers. I believe a majority of cachers would say "go for it and have fun" to obtain the record. I also think that was the DRR's genuine intention, not to offend anyone. However, some of those DRR-marked caches belong to owners who now feel the need to repaint/fix/replace them in order for them to remain active caches. Some cache maintenance is always necessary, but this shouldn't be needed and wouldn't be if the DRR had simply followed the "sign the log" basic caching principle. And then they'd be receiving more congratulations than criticism.

Edited by Teach2Learn

I am setting out on a new record attempt. Apparently there are 269715 active caches in the GC.com universe. I am going to log all of them on line. Using my rules I do not actually have to visit the cache site or physically log the caches. I just have to find the cache page on line and read it. My record attempt my rules. I will personally send out 28750 individual emails to everyone registered on GC.com asking for their permission I won't wait for an answer. There are 1440 minutes in a 24 hour period so if I can log over 200 caches a minute I can do it - I will let you know how I do! My coin goes on sale next week!

Good one. But as far as their coin, do you think this will put a damper on enthusiasm for it? Personally, I must have one now, just as I'd like to own Barry Bond's 715th Home Run ball :(

As a new Geocacher, I only started 3 weeks before GW4. A little background on how my experience went with the event.....

We booked a hotel that was supposed to have wireless internet, of course when we got there it didn't. The desk person told me of the LExington Inn and Suites and that it had wireless. We quickly went there knowing it was a holiday weekend and rooms were scarce. We got in no problem! But upon entering our room, it was filthy. we checked out 4 rooms before finding one that was suitable. After paying and moving all our stuff into the room, I was going to take a shower... the top hinge on the door gave way and the door almost fell on me. We went to talk to the owner and he had the door fixed very quickly, so we decided to stay. This was a $120 dollar a night suite, 2 bedrooms and a sitting area. The second bedroom door couldnt even close as it was put up incorrectly, the dishes were dirty and when we turned back the sheets... they hadnt been washed in looked like in weeks..... sooooo we left to find yet another room..... at 2 am we were finally able to sleep in a CLEAN room, although no internet (which I sorely needed being new to get more of the cache locations.

Day 2 We hit the event for a couple hours, met with some awesome people that helped us out and gave us alot of info about this sport that we didn't yet know. Then we decided to go and find some caches.... we have only 15 finds in 3 weeks and I was hoping to add 40 or so in this cache rich area. We get to the 1rst cache area of the day, and here a loud BOOM..... our radiator blew apart, a 8 inch gap in the top........ what FUN! My husband so far is doing a great job at holding his temper, and tells me and the kids to go find the cache while he takes care of the car. WE mosey on down the trail to find our first cache of the day and lo and behold 30 feet from the cache.... a HUGE snake.... almost 5 feet long it seemed. Having the kids with me, THey wanted to play with the snake.... but I decided to give it some room and let it have that cache... I wasnt that desperate. It was a miracle and a good sameritan that helped us get the parts for our car.... we got it towed, had to get the parts (The shop didnt have the right ones) and got our car back on the road in 3 hours... amazing. And of course... we debated going home after all this, the cost just doubled on our trip with the $400 car problem..... but no... we are addicted.... we went back to searching for the elusive prize..... and found only 3 on day 2 before we had to sleep... we were just drained from all that had happened.

Day 3 We hit the event again, visited some new people and of course bought our t-shirts and coins and all that... then hit the road for 20 caches that day.... a great number for us.

Without the internet and all the dramam we had a wonderful time in the end..... even with all that went on, so I can say from my experience the run did NOT Ruin the event for us... nor did all the extra little surprises. I cant say I agree with writing ON the containers.... I dont. But I can say that meeting the people and having a wonderful time was not hampered at all by anything that is going on in the forums.

Mysteria

Addiction to some things is perfectly ok =) Geocaching is one of those

Wow, to imagine you guys getting all bent out of shape over a game. Ever plan a trip to find more than 10 caches, it probably took a few minutes to plan, route, load up all details ect. Now imagine that you are doing this for over 300+ caches with people from all of the country(and world) and have 24 hours to do it.

Sounds to me like great fun was had and NO HARM ,yes i said NO harm was done. This is a game, a freaking game, play your game the way you want to play it and stop all the policing of others. If you choose to be a geocaching purist, so be it, but to take the wind out of others sails is ridiculous and immature. I could care less how/when and where the team found their caches, why?? because they choose their game and played it.

Geocaching was SO MUCH more fun before I read all the BS on these forums. Many of you have done things that a purist would probably deem, not a find, but I am sure you wont be speaking up here...instead its easier to bash others........most of us know its not about the numbers YET everyone loves to chime in when numbers are involved.

So hear is my confession....I recently toted a container full of goodies on a cruise ship and over to a private island in the Carribean, I replaced a cache for an owner who had his cache muggled...and guess what I counted it as a find....so there!!!! Now I will go hide in a hole.

Get a life.....have fun...life is too short!

I am having fun thanks. After reading this lame statement so many times these last few days I am really sorry that I have said it myself at one time. "play your game the way you want to play"

If the game has guide lines and someone chooses to flaunt those then they aren't playing the game. They are cheating and devaluing my game.

You go ahead and have your life.

you know what? I've decided that they're right. As long as I'm having fun, who needs guidelines? Heck, without anyone drawing any sort of line, or even if they do the blatent disregard that we can show for that line, imagine all the fun we can have!

Lets see....I've always wanted to have a find in every state...give me about half an hour and I can reach that goal, hour if I really seek out some tough ones. If I can guess to where the cache would be hidden, that should be fun enough to be counted as a find, right?

Heck, while I'm at it, I'd like to have more cache hides. Now, the guidelines say that we need at least .1 of a mile between caches, but I'm going to throw a film can about every 100 feet along the trail in the park near my house. Hmmm, I don't have enough logsheets. Oh, I know, I'll just put a codeword in each one. Yeah, I'll never get them approved, but I can just have the finders log finds on some of my archived caches. Sounds like fun to me, so it must be okay.

OOOOhh, I know what would be fun! A cache at the school my wife teaches at! I'll just make sure all the students know where its hidden, and have the cachers have to ask a student to show them the hidden spot in the bushes where it is! Fun for everyone!

No rules! No Guidelines! No line to stop anyone form hiding anything or logging any cache they want! YAY! Boblog can finally hide that cache filled with expired prescription meds!

Did anything come of the statement that most of the caches were pre-found(located) before the run started. Thereby saving more time that could have been used to sign the logs? If so I would love a markwell.

Me too! This would be strike three.

Strike one - split up the team while hunting.

Strike two - just scribble on the outside.

Strike three - Pre-find the caches.

Did anything come of the statement that most of the caches were pre-found(located) before the run started. Thereby saving more time that could have been used to sign the logs? If so I would love a markwell.

I think this statement gets filed under urban legend comments overheard at the lynch mob. :(

I never heard anything about this at the event, never saw another post indicating this might have occured. What I was told and have read is that the cache owners were contacted and 'nudged' to provide even more of a hint than what was already posted on the cache page. i.e. not just tie your shoelaces, but look under the second bench counting from the left. Still bad pool, but not as bad as 'prefinding'. He2hockystix, if they went to that trouble they would have marked them then, and just outright lied about the timing of the find too. :(

Well said, VCH. Every game I've ever played has had rules. Monopoly, Uno, Blackjack, Craps, etc. There comes a point where the rules must be enforced or else there's no point in playing.

This reminds me of our pick-up baseball games in grade school. No umps to enforce the rules or make the calls. The game eventually degenerates into endless squabbling because some refused to play by conventional baseball rules. We don't have official "rules", but I think the analogy applies.

Well said, VCH. Every game I've ever played has had rules. Monopoly, Uno, Blackjack, Craps, etc. There comes a point where the rules must be enforced or else there's no point in playing.

This reminds me of our pick-up baseball games in grade school. No umps to enforce the rules or make the calls. The game eventually degenerates into endless squabbling because some refused to play by conventional baseball rules. We don't have official "rules", but I think the analogy applies.

I remember that... "You're out!!", "No I wasn't!", "Yes you were!" "No I wasn't" . There were some kids who would argue every time. They were NEVER out, even if the ball got there way before them. They ALWAYS caught the ball just before it hit the ground. Their hit was ALWAYS just inside the line. Those were the kids we stopped inviting to play.

Thank you, that is exactly my point. If we don't draw a line somewhere and enforce that line, then what happens to our game?

For the record, that line has been drawn. Its called The Guidelines, and has further been backed up repeatedly by the Man himself, Jeremy. See the quotes by him in this thread and others.

Wow, to imagine you guys getting all bent out of shape over a game. Ever plan a trip to find more than 10 caches, it probably took a few minutes to plan, route, load up all details ect. Now imagine that you are doing this for over 300+ caches with people from all of the country(and world) and have 24 hours to do it.

Sounds to me like great fun was had and NO HARM ,yes i said NO harm was done. This is a game, a freaking game, play your game the way you want to play it and stop all the policing of others. If you choose to be a geocaching purist, so be it, but to take the wind out of others sails is ridiculous and immature. I could care less how/when and where the team found their caches, why?? because they choose their game and played it.

Geocaching was SO MUCH more fun before I read all the BS on these forums. Many of you have done things that a purist would probably deem, not a find, but I am sure you wont be speaking up here...instead its easier to bash others........most of us know its not about the numbers YET everyone loves to chime in when numbers are involved.

So hear is my confession....I recently toted a container full of goodies on a cruise ship and over to a private island in the Carribean, I replaced a cache for an owner who had his cache muggled...and guess what I counted it as a find....so there!!!! Now I will go hide in a hole.

Get a life.....have fun...life is too short!

I am having fun thanks. After reading this lame statement so many times these last few days I am really sorry that I have said it myself at one time. "play your game the way you want to play"

If the game has guide lines and someone chooses to flaunt those then they aren't playing the game. They are cheating and devaluing my game.

You go ahead and have your life.

you know what? I've decided that they're right. As long as I'm having fun, who needs guidelines? Heck, without anyone drawing any sort of line, or even if they do the blatent disregard that we can show for that line, imagine all the fun we can have!

Lets see....I've always wanted to have a find in every state...give me about half an hour and I can reach that goal, hour if I really seek out some tough ones. If I can guess to where the cache would be hidden, that should be fun enough to be counted as a find, right?

Heck, while I'm at it, I'd like to have more cache hides. Now, the guidelines say that we need at least .1 of a mile between caches, but I'm going to throw a film can about every 100 feet along the trail in the park near my house. Hmmm, I don't have enough logsheets. Oh, I know, I'll just put a codeword in each one. Yeah, I'll never get them approved, but I can just have the finders log finds on some of my archived caches. Sounds like fun to me, so it must be okay.

OOOOhh, I know what would be fun! A cache at the school my wife teaches at! I'll just make sure all the students know where its hidden, and have the cachers have to ask a student to show them the hidden spot in the bushes where it is! Fun for everyone!

No rules! No Guidelines! No line to stop anyone form hiding anything or logging any cache they want! YAY! Boblog can finally hide that cache filled with expired prescription meds!

You forgot about the caches under bridges, at airports, military bases.

Hey I like the airport one, instead of Rest Stop caches I can start a series of Airport caches. Doesn't matter if Groundspeak doesn't approve them I'll just have them log the find on an archived Event. Way kewl.

Thank you, that is exactly my point. If we don't draw a line somewhere and enforce that line, then what happens to our game?

For the record, that line has been drawn. Its called The Guidelines, and has further been backed up repeatedly by the Man himself, Jeremy. See the quotes by him in this thread and others.

Guidelines, guidelines, we don't need no stinkin' guidelines.

If you belive in this "NO harm done" does this mean I can come and sign my name on your cars paint with a perminant marker? No harm would be done right? :( I have no problem with people wanting to and attempting records so long as they're respectful of other peoples property, don't endager themselves or compromise the saftey of others. Just my $0.02.

Guidelines, guidelines, we don't need no stinkin' guidelines.

Great! Hey, send me pics of your cache containers so I can say I've seen them and log them all as finds, and I'll send you pics of mine! :(

The containers were marked defaced, not broken, save the drama...

Fixed!

If you belive in this "NO harm done" does this mean I can come and sign my name on your cars paint with a perminant marker? No harm would be done right? :( I have no problem with people wanting to and attempting records so long as they're respectful of other peoples property, don't endager themselves or compromise the saftey of others. Just my $0.02.

Sorry, you just cant compare vandalizing a car's paint job to vandalizing a cache. If you said window I think the annoyance factor would be equal. :( However, this practice disturbs me because it is very similar to the graffitti you see in the city. Most are placed by gangs (teams) who mark their territory, or use it to get attention, without regards for whoever owns the buildings being "tagged". The cachers stated they marked the containers to save time, but it also appears in my opinion that they were doing it for attention. If more people started following in their footsteps and doing it, it would undoubtedly lead to a lack of respect for caches in general, and actual damage.

But I also feel that they made an honest mistake, and were more concerned about making the record than thinking about the proper way to do it. If you learn something from a mistake, and dont repeat it, then it's not really a mistake is it?

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Sorry, you just cant compare vandalizing a car's paint job to vandalizing a cache. If you said window I think the annoyance factor would be equal. :( However, this practice disturbs me because it is very similar to the graffitti you see in the city. Most are placed by gangs (teams) who mark their territory, or use it to get attention, without regards for whoever owns the buildings being "tagged". The cachers stated they marked the containers to save time, but it also appears in my opinion that they were doing it for attention. If more people started following in their footsteps and doing it, it would undoubtedly lead to a lack of respect for caches in general, and actual damage.

But I also feel that they made an honest mistake, and were more concerned about making the record than thinking about the proper way to do it. If you learn something from a mistake, and dont repeat it, then it's not really a mistake is it?

How is it any different? They're both another persons property that has been "vandalized" many people put a lot of work and pride into the camoing of their caches of which now are going to have to be "repaired". Is the size and value of the offense different than if it were a car? of course. But the point is that it shouldn't be condoned by the community to vandalize or ruin someones work. I also wonder what effect it would have on the next generation of cachers if they assume this practice is O.K.? (I hope I'm making sense :( )

How is it any different? They're both another persons property that has been "vandalized" many people put a lot of work and pride into the camoing of their caches of which now are going to have to be "repaired". Is the size and value of the offense different than if it were a car?........

Yes, thats why I said window, also they did not do it out of malice, or intentional harm. Other than that I agree with you.

How is it any different? They're both another persons property that has been "vandalized" many people put a lot of work and pride into the camoing of their caches of which now are going to have to be "repaired". Is the size and value of the offense different than if it were a car?........

Yes, thats why I said window, also they did not do it out of malice, or intentional harm. Other than that I agree with you.

Fair enough :laughing:

Vandalism, cheating, and teaching others that cheating is an acceptable means of playing DO CAUSE HARM.

I'll give ya vandalism. But my dictionary defines cheating as "to deliberately violate rules".

Not "to do something I wouldn't do or don't think is right". :laughing:

I'll give ya vandalism. But my dictionary defines cheating as "to deliberately violate rules".

If the rules are posted for all to see and people still violate them willfully, is that 'deliberate' enough to call cheating? I think that it probably is.

Edited by sbell111

If the rules are posted for all to see and people still violate them willfully, is that 'deliberate' enough to call cheating? I think that it probably is.

Aside from the vandalism, which I've acknowledged, which "rule" was broken? Please enlighten me. And please don't quote GUIDLINES, GENERALLY ACCEPTED PRACTICE or the GEOCACHERS CREED. None of those are "rules".

Edited by ParrotRob

Bingo! You nailed it on the head right there.

If you learn something from a mistake, and dont repeat it, then it's not really a mistake is it?

Of course it's still a mistake. It's a mistake you learned from, but it's still a mistake.

Using your logic, I could cheat on my wife as long as I learn that it isn't the right thing to do and promise to never do it again. Think she'd fall for that? I didn't think so. :laughing:

Out caching today and had just enough batteries to snap a pic of this cache. It was real easy to find. This cache is one of those irony caches. The container is a UPS candy mint tin near a FedEx Kinko's. The container is probably somewhat rare. The cache is called What Can Brown Do For You Today?

10c00448-f6c4-460f-bb1f-22e0c8a5d51f.jpg

Out caching today and had just enough batteries to snap a pic of this cache. It was real easy to find. This cache is one of those irony caches. The container is a UPS candy mint tin near a FedEx Kinko's. The container is probably somewhat rare. The cache is called What Can Brown Do For You Today?

Added to the list.

Actually, it's only a partial list... :laughing:

What I find shameful is that I constantly hear about how geocaching community is made up of respectable people and only trying to enjoy the outdoors. Such pitches are made to DNR and other government agencies to get them to approve of geocaching. This is another bad mark for geocachers and as someone stated before in this thread or another we are judge by the bad few not the majority.

While this is currently known to the gc.com people it only a matter of time tell people see the places that were basically vandalized by geocachers.

Sorry, you just cant compare vandalizing a car's paint job to vandalizing a cache. If you said window I think the annoyance factor would be equal. :)

:laughing: Uh I think not! :)

Do you think that writing on the windows of our shop van (below) would be just an annoyance?

van.jpg

I hope not! :huh:

Then why would you condone writing on a container as just an annoyance

It's true that our shop's van windows are not the norm, but niether are cammoed containers.

Accepting an "annoyance" in one case only breeds it's acceptance as more people tolerate it.

Today it's car windows, tomorrow it's just Fords & Toyotas. (Why would it bother anyone? At least it wasn't a Lexus or Mercedes)

Vandalism is vandalism, reguardless if it's easier to remove or not.

D-man :)

edit:spelling

Edited by gridlox

Unlike most of you, the DRR team sent out appologies for writing on the outside of the caches and also offered to pay for damages (if needed) to the caches. Most of the cache owners (Like most Texans) sent replies letting them know it was okay and congratulations on the run record (unlike most of you). Go cache or something! geeze, you don't even realize that you give the game a bad name with all the whining and bitching your doing!

Unlike most of you, the DRR team sent out appologies for writing on the outside of the caches and also offered to pay for damages (if needed) to the caches. Most of the cache owners (Like most Texans) sent replies letting them know it was okay and congratulations on the run record (unlike most of you). Go cache or something! geeze, you don't even realize that you give the game a bad name with all the whining and bitching your doing!

I'm glad at least a few of them offered to make ammends and were forgiven. Unfortunately, the message that's still being sent by the defaced containers is "Hey, here's a new way to prove you've found a cache! The good people of Texas accepted it, so everyone else should too." And I don't think I've heard anything from the team about rescinding their "record" claim. Apart from Alabama Rambler, none of them really seems to care what anyone else thinks. The stench of arrogance is still pretty strong in here, even if the air is a bit fresher in Texas.

Thank you very much for taking the effort to take and post the photo.

Here's a question I asked myself. Was this a premeditated act or an improvisation when they realized that they were "falling behind schedule" ??

Some may say the answer means squat since the "damage" has been done, but I'm curious anyway.

10c00448-f6c4-460f-bb1f-22e0c8a5d51f.jpg

That writing on the cache container really gives it away. Without the writing, I would probably spend a while looking for it, but with the writing I coud go right to it.

I'm glad at least a few of them offered to make ammends and were forgiven. Unfortunately, the message that's still being sent by the defaced containers is "Hey, here's a new way to prove you've found a cache! The good people of Texas accepted it, so everyone else should too." And I don't think I've heard anything from the team about rescinding their "record" claim. Apart from Alabama Rambler, none of them really seems to care what anyone else thinks. The stench of arrogance is still pretty strong in here, even if the air is a bit fresher in Texas.

And with good reason, if people would READ they would understand that Alabama Rambler takes responsability for the actions of the TEAM! In Texas that means EVERBODY.... I have no idea what it means "up North". Some of the group on the TEAM were in from Germany (is this the way we treat people?) and are not necessarily going to chime in to explain themselves since they do things differently in Germany and may have come to the conclusion that this is the way things are handled here. I just wonder if this has gotten out of hand due to a few people that HAD the record felt they got their toes stepped on. It seems to be ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS!!!! not the fun. You're right, arrogance seems to be running rampid in here. :laughing:

And with good reason, if people would READ they would understand that Alabama Rambler takes responsability for the actions of the TEAM! In Texas that means EVERBODY.... I have no idea what it means "up North". Some of the group on the TEAM were in from Germany (is this the way we treat people?) and are not necessarily going to chime in to explain themselves since they do things differently in Germany and may have come to the conclusion that this is the way things are handled here. I just wonder if this has gotten out of hand due to a few people that HAD the record felt they got their toes stepped on. It seems to be ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS!!!! not the fun. You're right, arrogance seems to be running rampid in here. :laughing:

When you make an allegation about "people that HAD the record," you are addressing a very small group. Only five teams have ever claimed a record; I was a member of the second team to do so. So, taking a look at the composition of those teams, and who has posted in this thread and related threads, I can only assume you're addressing me and a couple other people. In response, I direct you to my earliest posts to this thread, which were positive and supportive. It was only when I learned of the cache defacements and splitting up of the team that my opinion was turned. So, kindly review your facts before tossing stuff like that out into a forum and seeing if it will stick.

Thanks, also, for the slap at folks "up north." That's really constructive, too.

I changed my opinion because of my principles. To me, principles are more important than fun -- whether it's geocaching or anything else in life.

What do I need to apologize for, I didn't write on anybody's container? :laughing:

I already posted somewhere in here that I thought it was a hard run and took lots of planning.

What else needs to be said?

Chill out and go caching, good advice for everybody, including you! And sign the logbooks, not the container! :)

edit: spelling

Edited by MountainMudbug
Added to the list.

Actually, it's only a partial list... :laughing:

Sad...

I notice none of these "record-holders" are saying anything...guilt, perhaps? I hope so.

Apologies were made, catch up. I also looked at your list DocDitto, funny how you complain about this and your list contains caches where the logs have not been deleted. But given your witch hunt I am sure that won't take long either.

Caching anyone?

Do you have the link or are we throwing around more unsupported allegations?

Okay, here is another bit of info. This darth_maul_3 user is not only signing the outside of the containers as DRR but at later dates as HCT. I have deleted one of their log where HCT signed the outside of my cache.

Log as darth_maul_3 as HCT

May 23 by darth_maul_3 (2107 found)

2006-05-22 - 22:36

Found this fine cache on a run with the Team HCT (Hanseatic Cache Team)

THX for Cache 1764

darthi

Log as darth_maul_3 as DRR

May 20 by darth_maul_3 (2107 found)

Found this Cache as Part of the 24 Hour Recordrun. Thanks for these great Caches that made the Recordrun possible.

We found 312 Caches in these 24 Hours and had over 40 DNFs

The Team consisted of:

Ed, The AlabamaRambler (AKA NatureFish)

Max, Poppy of Nonnypoppy

Mike from Cache&Keri

Mike, Golf from GolfNutz

Roland, darth_maul_3

Tammo, Spuchtfink

Michael, M.Zielinski

Carsten, geoPirat

Thanks to all from the team, you did a great job all the time.

All caches were signed DRR (Dallas Record Run) for the team.

Greetings from germany and to germany.

darthi

Apologies were made, catch up. I also looked at your list DocDitto, funny how you complain about this and your list contains caches where the logs have not been deleted. But given your witch hunt I am sure that won't take long either.

The point of the list is to inform cache owners of what happened. They are perfectly capable of making their own descisions about whether to delete logs. Some have, others havent. As for hunting witches, well, I guess that's one way of looking at it. I'd prefer to call it taking a stand against flagrant violations of geocaching ethics.

Some people are willing to let ethics slide, as is quite obvious from other currently running threads. Others, myself included, aren't quite so eager to see them disappear.

My bookmark list will be unpublished in a few days. My intent is to inform those involved, not hold a permanent grudge.

Not "to do something I wouldn't do or don't think is right". :)

Aside from the vandalism, which I've acknowledged, which "rule" was broken? Please enlighten me. And please don't quote GUIDLINES, GENERALLY ACCEPTED PRACTICE or the GEOCACHERS CREED. None of those are "rules".

How's this? Note, it says logbook, not "outside of the cache container"

What are the rules in Geocaching?

Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:

1. Take something from the cache

2. Leave something in the cache

3. Write about it in the logbook

I added the bold to the quoted section taken from the geocaching FAQ, found here: http://www.geocaching.com/faq/