New 24 Hour Record For Finding Most Caches (312) Has Been Set

mein gott ist mir schlecht. ich habe wirklich selten soviel müll auf einem haufen gepostet gesehen. auf diese art bushism können wir gerne verzichten. erfreulich ist, daß es wohl noch den einen oder anderen netten ami gibt. jungs, kopf hoch. :rolleyes:

happy hunting - the old fashioned way (trads only, exceptions may appear)

mein gott ist mir schlecht. ich habe wirklich selten soviel müll auf einem haufen gepostet gesehen. auf diese art bushism können wir gerne verzichten. erfreulich ist, daß es wohl noch den einen oder anderen netten ami gibt. jungs, kopf hoch. :P

Since we know you can write fairly well in english, maybe you should use that in a english language forum? I don't know how well the mods here speak german, but they might misunderstand what you are saying and have your account banned. :rolleyes:

A fine accomplishment.. only way to make it better would be to carry a trash bag and remove all the 1/1 micro geo-litter at the same time.

But please re-hide all of them in Aachen (Europe, near Brussels) because I like 1/1 traditional caches and all other kind of drive in caches.

Prior to the attaempt, the run organizers emailed the owners of the caches that were to be included on their route (including me) and we were apprised of what they were doing regarding the stickers.

That's partially correct. They said they were using stickers to sign the logs (I do that myself). They did not say that the stickers would be placed on the outside of the container. Since one of my caches was included in the run, I received a copy of the email. Since this was a mass mailing, and contains nothing confidential I'll post it (however, I will redact a website address and personal identifiers). I bolded the relevant text.

The caches we have chosen for our 24 Hour World Record Run attempt are published on my website:

That list will continue to evolve and so is neither final nor inclusive.

We will make our attempt from 9 a.m. Saturday May 20th through 9 a.m. Sunday.

I am contacting the cache owners via email or Private Message through geocaching.com and giving you the option to opt out, or perhaps give us a clue if you want, and to check to make sure that the listed caches are in place and loggable!

If you do not want your caches to be part of our Record Attempt PLEASE email me asap at so we can remove them and re-route our run.

We do not want anyone to 'give up the cache', but any information on what we are looking for, how best to get to it, etc. will certainly be appreciated!

The file is in Excel Spreadsheet form and there is a Notes column if you want to download it, add notes and email it back to .

Your efforts will be appreciated!

To accomplish our task we have allocated a maximum of two minutes for most caches, but hope to keep it closer to 90 seconds!

Since time is of the essence, and there are 7 of us on the team, we will use a single team sticker to sign the log, though all 7 will log the cache online. I hope that is acceptable.

Thanks,

[name redacted]

[phone number redacted]

Since we know you can write fairly well in english, maybe you should use that in a english language forum? I don't know how well the mods here speak german, but they might misunderstand what you are saying and have your account banned. :rolleyes:

i guess the mods are quite well educated to akt not in your enquired way. :P

happy hunting from hamburg - the old fashioned way (trads only, exceptions may appear)

edit: typo

Edited by HHL

Ist das geil :rolleyes::P das war heute mal wieder köstlich zu lesen. Dumm nur, dass die Kritiker hier genauso schlecht wegkommen wie die Rekordrenner

Danke für die Belustigung erster Güte!

If you have a problem with a reviewer, or believe a reviewer has acted incorrectly please do not discuss it here. Please send your complaint to reviewers@geocaching.com This is an email address devoted only to dealing with problems with reviewers and is handled in the strictest of confidentiality. The forums are not the place to handle this.

Since some of weren't and still aren't certain for sure that the person in question is in fact a reveiwer, I wouldn't go that route just yet. Are you in fact confirming that the person who took a cache from a set of coordinates and turned it into his own travelling cache, with a Jeep TB, is in fact a reviewer? If so I will gladly email GC about my issues with the actions.

Personally I think it is a topic that can and should be addressed here and not be swept under the rug, but I can see your side as to why you feel it should not be discussed here. I understand that it could turn ugly quick and reviewers have enough problems than to be "trialed" here. I do feel this one is a different situation and the actions of the individual should be addressed. Him being an alleged reviewer just makes it even worse since he knows the rules better than most of us and still choose his course of actions. I will leave that part along now out of respect for the other reviewers who I do feel have enough of a burden on them.

I took the time to find out what they said (roughly), I might as well post it here.

Translated online (not by me).....

HHL said:

"my God is bad me. I saw as much garbage on a heap gepostet really rarely. without this kind bushism we can do gladly. is pleasing, that there is probably still or other nice ami [american?]. young, head highly"

* said:

"If that is cool this today was to be read sometimes again deliciously. Stupidly only that the critics get away here as badly like the record racers. Thanks for the entertainment of the first order!"

Cheshire Frog said:

"But we are not all like that."

… HHL said:

"my God is bad me. I saw as much garbage on a heap gepostet really rarely. without this kind bushism we can do gladly. is pleasing, that there is probably still or other nice ami [american?]. young, head highly"

nice try. :rolleyes: but your online cristal bowl is part away from what it really means.

"one cross each"

I took the time to find out what they said (roughly), I might as well post it here.

Translated online (not by me).....

HHL said:

* said:

"If that is cool this today was to be read sometimes again deliciously. Stupidly only that the critics get away here as badly like the record racers. Thanks for the entertainment of the first order!"

Cheshire Frog said:

"But we are not all like that."

Yes, my attempts at translation yielded much the same results. Incredibly meaningful stuff!

mein gott ist mir schlecht. ich habe wirklich selten soviel müll auf einem haufen gepostet gesehen. auf diese art bushism können wir gerne verzichten. erfreulich ist, daß es wohl noch den einen oder anderen netten ami gibt. jungs, kopf hoch. :rolleyes:

Let me translate that properly:

My god, I'm feeling sick. Rarely have I seen so much trash posted in one place. This kind of Bush-ism we could really do without. It's nice to know that there probably still is an occasional friendly American. Keep it up guys. "lol"

Considering the current political climate in the world, am I the only one who sees Mr. Godwin here? For some reason I feel like I need to point out that despite appearances there actually are friendly Germans who do understand the issues at hand.

I've stayed out of this discussion thus far, and of course everyone around here lately knows the somewhat-related agendae I'm advancing regarding stats and their effect on the overall quality of our game in many precincts (overall cache quality, record keeping, cache logging ethics, etc.). This post goes directly to Vinny's quote above:

As a somewhat-frequent Event attendee based in the state immediately neighboring TheAlabamaRambler, I have had occasion to meet and visit with him quite a few times. I must admit we didn't spend "extended" time together, but I've talked with him both at Events and on-line enough to at least have a sense for his character.

In my interactions with him, I've found TAR to be one of the finest ambassadors our game has. He has boundless enthusiasm for the game, is willing to help ANYONE play the game, and trust me if you met him, you'd realize that his discovery of our game has truly been "life changing" (for the better) to him, as it has been for so many others of us.

Now, he and I have never gotten into any discussions about "caching ethics" or "cache logging ethics", so I can't speak to whether this situation is him and his team just getting caught up in the "moment" and knowingly "doing the wrong thing", or what. I do know that he has participated in other Numbers Runs in Nashville and elsewhere, with locals from those areas, so he knows "how it works". So, in that regard, and based on the other contexts in which I know him, I'm willing to take him at his word from his posts on this matter that he now realizes "the errors of his ways" and wants to work to move forward and restore his reputation.

This doesn't mean I condone or excuse any of his or his team's actions in claiming to set the record - I believe the community has spoken on that, and I stand with the community. But it does mean that like Vinny, I'll be willing to extend him a hearty handshake the next time we visit, and give him the benefit of the doubt that he's learned what the caching community is willing to accept in terms of "cacher ethics", and what it is not willing to accept. He's EARNED that from me based on my previous personal interactions with him.

This is probably the most logical, level headed response I've seen so far. It sums up how I feel about the situation. I can't let one really stupid, bad desicion on Ramblers part undermine all the good he has done for the game. Especially since he's already taken responsibility, apologised and offered to make amends to the cache owners.

It is also a shame that it undermines all the hard work Geopirate and co did. I'm really impressed by your finds. Especially since I cached with Ramber for 12 hours, found 30, and was half dead by the time we were done.

If you have a problem with a reviewer, or believe a reviewer has acted incorrectly please do not discuss it here. Please send your complaint to reviewers@geocaching.com This is an email address devoted only to dealing with problems with reviewers and is handled in the strictest of confidentiality. The forums are not the place to handle this.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't heard of it before. I hope I never need to use it but I'll bookmark it all the same. I agree with you, it should be handled in private so the real facts can be used instead of condemming somebody on hearsay.

We have the same problem here , all the caches around here belong to one person and no place to start a new "different" cache. We should share the fun on all levels. :rolleyes:.to find that many so fast must have been repetetively boring.

Edited by The Rappers

As an example, around here it is considered by most to be acceptable to log temporary caches at an event. The organizer of one event, who had decided not to place temporary caches, told me that some people contacted them and said that if they couldn't get multiple smilies they weren't going to the event. They didn't want to spend an entire Sunday afternoon and just add one to their find count.

Just as an aside, I will log the temporary caches if I find them. But I usually don't even look for them. I'd rather socialize.

Actually, around here, it's still a subject of much debate on "logging" a temp cache. I've been to events where it was allowed, and I've been to events where it isn't. Guess what, I logged the event once because, to me, any temps I found were just that...temp fun for that ONE event. If there were live caches nearby, I did those, and if in the future some of the temps became live caches, I would go back and find them and log them at that time.

I feel bad for the organizer that had people actually tell them they "expected" extra smilies...I go to events to meet people and have fun...caching is just part of the fun, but the event smily is enough for me. It's how I feel, and I feel good about my stats because of it. I don't feel really bad about people who log temps with extra smilies, I just know they're geocaching style is different from mine.

Let's put it this way...we know they didn't do this, but what if the team that "set" the record had people place 500 temps in one small park near GW4. So they log the "caches" on the GW4 event...and guess what, now caches that were placed 20 feet apart are part of the "record". That's kinda my feeling on Temps...they're temp for a reason, some valid (state parks), some because they violate standard gc rules. How would we as other geocachers feel about people bragging about that "record"?

Celticwulf

I agree 100%!

Again, as I have said before, for me, the bottom line is this:

We are all human, and we all make mistakes, and we all have undesired things happen to us at times. Ultimately, I feel that what is most important is the grace with which we respond to our mistakes, to those of others, and the grace we can bring to the undesirable events that do happen in our lives. So, while I personally feel that some of the behaviors which we witnessed over the last week were biazrre and hilarious, and while I would certainly not recommend or condone those behaviors, I do not condemn any of the individuals involved, nor do I judge them, and if I ever meet any of them at an event or elswehere, I will still be happy to shake their hand and accept them as a human being.

Well I must say that is well put. I wanted to stay out of this but it has been making a mountain out of an ant hill. I don't know what to think all I know is these cachers found a lot of caches, even if only 300 of those finds were legitimate then that is still a lot! And is WAY more than many of us will ever find it 24 hours. You do have to give them credit for the organizing of this event, even if they did split up.

But this is my opioion...

!!!If cacher 1 finds a cache and cacher 2 finds one also and lets say their .5 miles apart (uhhem) then how is that really a "TEAM". Teams work together.!!!

Oh, and as for the Geocoin, that is such bull, it isn't about having a Geocoin made up, it's about finding the caches. <-- THATS was makes me the most mad!

-Eric

Edited by Hillbilly-Rockstar

Considering the current political climate in the world, am I the only one who sees Mr. Godwin here? For some reason I feel like I need to point out that despite appearances there actually are friendly Germans who do understand the issues at hand.

Thank you, allthough not spoken too - I consider myself a "friendly German". And while caching I have met friendly Cachers from many countries - including USA. :laughing:

The Zeitgeist of Geocaching requires lots of Fingerspitzengefuehl these days when introducing yet another twist to the game in Blitzkrieg style, otherwise we end up with discussions for the Kindergarten... :laughing:

Exactly what is this the record for, again? Set up your own rules. Make your own definitions. Do whatever you want, including vandalizing caches. Violate many of the rules for geocaching.

Nice accomplishment. Whatever it was.

So, let's see. We can make up any rules that we want. People who are nowhere near the cache can log it. So, if I recruit 20 people from 20 cities, and we all run around defacing cache containers, ingoring common courtesy, and geocaching guidelines, we'd each only need to log twenty caches each to put your record (whatever it is) to shambles. So what if most of us have never seen the caches?

What was the record for, again? Greatest mass vandalism? Greatest avoidance of guidelines? I got it! Greatest meaningless claptrap!

If you want to log caches, do it the right way: everyone finds the cach, and signs the log book.

Thank you, allthough not spoken too - I consider myself a "friendly German". And while caching I have met friendly Cachers from many countries - including USA. :o

The Zeitgeist of Geocaching requires lots of Fingerspitzengefuehl these days when introducing yet another twist to the game in Blitzkrieg style, otherwise we end up with discussions for the Kindergarten... :lol:

Fingerspitzengefuehl?! I think if I knew what it meant or how to pronounce it, that would be my new favorite word! <_<:o:D

I am setting out on a new record attempt. Apparently there are 269715 active caches in the GC.com universe. I am going to log all of them on line. Using my rules I do not actually have to visit the cache site or physically log the caches. I just have to find the cache page on line and read it. My record attempt my rules. I will personally send out 28750 individual emails to everyone registered on GC.com asking for their permission I won't wait for an answer. There are 1440 minutes in a 24 hour period so if I can log over 200 caches a minute I can do it - I will let you know how I do! My coin goes on sale next week!

Edited by fresgo

So has any other group tried to make the attempt over the GeoWoodstock weekend?

Sorry about trying to stay on topic on a dying thread. :o

One group tried, but found that there was no place left on the micro containers for them to sign. ;)

<_<:lol::D:o

I know of another group that wasn't actually trying to make a new record.

(They were actually geocaching...You know.... opening the caches and signing the logsheets)

They did the 24 hours of continuous caching and came up with over 200 finds :D .

I believe a couple of the hunters were EMC of Northridge and F0T0M0M.

Had they been trying for the record, they would have to split up :lol: and bring Sharpies along <_< .

(on topic).

I congratulate them on an honest personal accomplishment. :o

tsmoloa, cardinal red, mopar

I am going to squat down to your level and do the wrong thing. Go ahead and grab a pen and paper and start making notes now.

By emphasing and focusing on someone's mistake or bad decision, and publicly ridiculing another human being in a public forum, you have embarrassed the entire geocaching community and I am surprised the moderator allowed this trash on the board. Rather that openly and frankly discussing a disagreement, you choose to do the equivalent of writing insults on a bathroom wall and it closely resembles the lack of class and maturity that is found on those same walls. I suspect you lack the ability to accept responsibility for things in your personal and professional lives and those around you consider you abusive and un-likeable.

I will not post any further reponses so take comfort in the fact that your response will enjoy a lack of rebuttal and get a life.

Ahh, come on back. I just HAVE to know why you think discussing how someone may be cheating on a score and trying to rationalize it isn't relates to my not accepting responsibility for my actions. Then maybe you can explain to me how this thread isn't openly and frankly discussing a disagreement.

Frankly, your entire post is contradictory and makes little sense. It's also probably the only abusive post in this thread.

Let me guess, you work for a public school, don't you? That might explain your apparent views on cheating.

I guess you missed the following post? It's almost comical to me how you can overlook an obviously abusive (and violent) post (e.g. below) and still find fault with the above. I guess it's just tunnel vision..... or merely hypocrisy. If my jab strikes a nerve, instead of a knee jerk reaction to ME - how about addressing the following truly abusive post. Threats of physical violence are not funny and this one didn't even seem to be a joke.

Personaly i'm nto a viloent person but after reading all this junk in all these posts about it i'd like to meet some of there guys so i could try out my new can of bear mace, and maybe my new knife too

Ok well i'm a judge, and i say this record does not count, so there you all go, you have a official court ruling, I have a jurry of 12 of there peers ( well i couldn't find any cheeters or lies in my house so i used my fish )

The jurry has found this record does not stand, and that the people in question are loosers and should be ashamed of themselves for vandalizing peoples caches, cheeping the game, and being asses.

Personaly i'm nto a viloent person but after reading all this junk in all these posts about it i'd like to meet some of there guys so i could try out my new can of bear mace, and maybe my new knife too

if you were part of this "record" you should be embarresed and should have had enought sence to know what you were doing wasn't right and be ashamed of yourselves for coming here to brag about it

your LOOSRES

Since no one else saw fit to call you out, I have. Your threats are not welcome here. Report sent to gc.com moderator. Now I will wait to see if any action is taken.

This issue has been addressed with the person who made the posts. Elsewhere, I've posted something that I'll now repeat here: kindly stick to debating the merits of the issue. Threats of violence -- whether made jokingly or not -- are unacceptable behavior in this forum. Thanks.

Unfortunately, the "record run" has tainted the event.

Oh, it wasn't JUST the record run that tainted the event. The numbers whoring at any cost in general is what tainted the event. If there even is one, you couldn't pay me to go to GW5.

That's really too bad, because those two items are a very small part or what geowoodstocks are all about. You will miss out on a very special event with a lot of good fun and fellowship.

If one or several ball player(s) goes out of bounds be it drug use, or some other criminal activity will you stop cheering for your favorite team or watching the playoffs? If one biker is caught doping will you stop riding or following the Tour de France? Try and put this issue in perspective.

Wow! I mean just Wow! You raised your own bar even higher. Congrats on another stunning accomplishment, and yes it really is all about the numbers sometimes. :)

Look forward to seeing you again in a few days and after you have had some rest. :(

It may be bad forumform to quote yourself, but I didn't want to just go back and edit the very first reply to the thread. Based on what has come to light in the past few days, I'd like to retract part of my original message. It is still a stunning accomplishment, but merely a navigational one, not a geocaching one IMO. You managed to drive to over 300 cache locations in 24 hours, but going by the generally accepted way that this sport is played you didn't find those caches. :rolleyes: Wow, that's sad. :P

• Log only active listings on geocaching.com-no temps, no pockets no archiveds
  • Find the actual cache, sign the log, trade fairly is how this is done.
  • A Team, especially one trying to set a record that will be held under a microscope does not split up. What is to prevent next year's team from simply extending your arbitrary .5 mile range in order to get to more caches?

I respectfully request that you refrain from making any more claims about this attempt as the exisiting 24 hour record, and rest on last year's laurels for now. It was still nice to see all of you at the event.

PS thanks for making it easier to find some of those containers behind you. The black markings on the silver camo really stood out. :(

No, it didn't. Not one bit.

The world-famous 'Dallas Record Run' took place a whole week before GeoWoodstock4.

All of us had a great time at GW4 and many didn't even hear anything about the run. Most of the details came out during the time we were at the Event and many didn't even have internet access to read about the controversy.

GW4 was a great time!

The world-famous 'Dallas Record Run' took place a whole week before GeoWoodstock4.

All of us had a great time at GW4 and many didn't even hear anything about the run. Most of the details came out during the time we were at the Event and many didn't even have internet access to read about the controversy.

GW4 was a great time!

I agree with Team 360 I was there without the net for 7 days I had no clue what was going on with the record run until Thursday. I did find lots and lots of caches maked DRR and I thought DRR was the person who placed the cache!

It may be bad forumform to quote yourself, but I didn't want to just go back and edit the very first reply to the thread. Based on what has come to light in the past few days, I'd like to retract part of my original message. It is still a stunning accomplishment, but merely a navigational one, not a geocaching one IMO. You managed to drive to over 300 cache locations in 24 hours, but going by the generally accepted way that this sport is played you didn't find those caches. :P Wow, that's sad. :(

It is too bad you were forced to retract your statement.

I still admire what they did, and maybe they can leverage the experience to navigate the streets of Tokyo some day. :rolleyes:

At least, the group broke their own record, so they are only cheating themselves, literally! (Belated congrats to last year's attempt) People who "cheat" (or "create a new paradigm" or "break new ground" or whatever :( ) should really consider the consequences of their actions - it's the root cause for a lot of angst and negativity, and not just in the Geocaching community.

Ya know, its sad that I have some logs on a few of my caches from a different team that found 200+ caches in a day, and instead of thinking "Wow, Cool, a few of my caches were part of a great day for them" I'm thinking "Gee, I better get out there and see if they really found the and signed the log book" :)

Wow, to imagine you guys getting all bent out of shape over a game. Ever plan a trip to find more than 10 caches, it probably took a few minutes to plan, route, load up all details ect. Now imagine that you are doing this for over 300+ caches with people from all of the country(and world) and have 24 hours to do it.

Sounds to me like great fun was had and NO HARM ,yes i said NO harm was done. This is a game, a freaking game, play your game the way you want to play it and stop all the policing of others. If you choose to be a geocaching purist, so be it, but to take the wind out of others sails is ridiculous and immature. I could care less how/when and where the team found their caches, why?? because they choose their game and played it.

Geocaching was SO MUCH more fun before I read all the BS on these forums. Many of you have done things that a purist would probably deem, not a find, but I am sure you wont be speaking up here...instead its easier to bash others........most of us know its not about the numbers YET everyone loves to chime in when numbers are involved.

So hear is my confession....I recently toted a container full of goodies on a cruise ship and over to a private island in the Carribean, I replaced a cache for an owner who had his cache muggled...and guess what I counted it as a find....so there!!!! Now I will go hide in a hole.

Get a life.....have fun...life is too short!

GW4 was a great time!

I agree with Team 360 I was there without the net for 7 days I had no clue what was going on with the record run until Thursday. I did find lots and lots of caches maked DRR and I thought DRR was the person who placed the cache!

Oh no...I'm being quoted apart from the rest of my previous post's context. :)

The rest of that same post also said that I sincerely hoped GW4 was a great time for all and that the committee's work was appreciated. With the responses, I'm glad to see that was true. I do think that some may still associate the DRR with GW4 due to the timing, area, and possible info for the run on the GW4 and TXGA forums(?), though I realize that's not fair to those who worked so hard on the big event and had nothing to do with the record attempt.

Thanks for the clarification. In spite of the strong response to what occurred, I think the result may have a positive long-term effect on future attempts and can simply have been a case of rushed judgment with no ill intentions, just caching fever.

Edited by Teach2Learn

Wow, to imagine you guys getting all bent out of shape over a game. Ever plan a trip to find more than 10 caches, it probably took a few minutes to plan, route, load up all details ect. Now imagine that you are doing this for over 300+ caches with people from all of the country(and world) and have 24 hours to do it.

Sounds to me like great fun was had and NO HARM ,yes i said NO harm was done. This is a game, a freaking game, play your game the way you want to play it and stop all the policing of others. If you choose to be a geocaching purist, so be it, but to take the wind out of others sails is ridiculous and immature. I could care less how/when and where the team found their caches, why?? because they choose their game and played it.

Geocaching was SO MUCH more fun before I read all the BS on these forums. Many of you have done things that a purist would probably deem, not a find, but I am sure you wont be speaking up here...instead its easier to bash others........most of us know its not about the numbers YET everyone loves to chime in when numbers are involved.

So hear is my confession....I recently toted a container full of goodies on a cruise ship and over to a private island in the Carribean, I replaced a cache for an owner who had his cache muggled...and guess what I counted it as a find....so there!!!! Now I will go hide in a hole.

I am having fun thanks. After reading this lame statement so many times these last few days I am really sorry that I have said it myself at one time. "play your game the way you want to play"

If the game has guide lines and someone chooses to flaunt those then they aren't playing the game. They are cheating and devaluing my game.

You go ahead and have your life.

In a way I agree with you. At least in the sense that I'm sure it was alot of work and alot of fun for the people doing the caching run. Plus I'm not one to get all angst ridden over such things. And then there is the fact that I have met some of them before and personally like them quite a bit. I don't like a couple of their decisions here, especially with defacing containers, but I like them personally and will continue to do so. I hope that the beating they are getting here doesn't diminish the fun they had too much, while I also hope that they will take the comments into account for any future such runs.

But, I don't know about the no harm done part of your post. Here is a hypothetical: A person close to me placed a silver ammo can for me in honor of a caching milestone. He put work into painting it and I liked it alot. It was very special to me. If someone came along and wrote their name in sharpie on the outside because they were in a hurry, I would be a bit miffed and my friend would find himself having to disable the cache and re-paint it. That is harm. If the writing makes the cache more noticable so that it might get muggled, that is also harm. Some here also argue that it cheapens things in general as a harm (eg in validity of the record or stats). That is a valid point too, although I tend to just see it as a record, but one that stands alone under its unique parameters, not necessarily one that beat the last one, which I think used different parameters (but I don't know for sure since some of the same people were involved).