Base Maps For Garmin Etrex Vista Cx

My vista cx came with a International Marine Point Basemap, Jan 2001 loaded onto it

I have to say it is pretty useless in terms of detail.

I have a Tom Tom vehicle GPS as well, and the base map is infinitely better.

Is it possible to download a better base map? and even maybe use the garmin in the same way as the Tom Tom i.e route directions [allbeit without voice commands] ?

The tracklogs O.S 50k software which I got as part of a package can only be used to download predetermined waypoints otherwise no detail ca be downloaded

Can someone help me please or am I just expecting too much?

I've got the UK Roads and Recreation maps on my Vista Cx. It's about as detailed as my satnav although it is not "routable". I think you need the metroguide maps for that? I can't tell you where to get them from, but I'm sure that question would create a bit of a torrent of advice! :P

I've also got the Scottish Mountaineering Club contour line maps on as well which are great (and free!) for caching since you can see where the hills are, and possibly ways around them.

I can bore for Britain on this particular subject.

If you own a Garmin unit that supports auto-routing, you can only get this to work if you install map and auto-routing data from one of Garmin's high end software such as City Select or City Navigator. Both are only supplied with hardware at "home" or very expensive as a standalone product abroad. For example, in the USA, a Streetpilot comes with CN USA and they can buy CN Europe. In Europe, we can buy CN USA. Complicated - yep! Expensive - you bet! These high end software programmes are protected through codes that only allow the software to work with a specific unit via it's internal serial number.

NOTE: City Select Europe is no more - when CN Europe V8 was issued, CS was stopped. I mention it for those who may still use it.

However, Garmin will allow an owner a second unlock code for free. So, if you already own a Streetpilot (or other unit that came with autorouting software) you can use the software with a second unit. This is what I have done, I use City Navigator Europe V8 in my Streetpilot 2610 AND a Vista Cx.

With Garmin's blessing, I recently sold on my old Vista C along with CN Europe V7 unlocked for that Vista C. (Going well down there in Cornwall Chris?). V7 is the end of the line for the Vista C due to its fixed 24Mb of internal memory.

By the way, if you can get your hands on an old copy of Metroguide USA V4 - it includes autorouting data that can be installed into your Vista C and will enable it to autoroute (in the States of course). The map data is well out of date but it works...

I've got the UK Roads and Recreation maps on my Vista Cx. It's about as detailed as my satnav although it is not "routable". I think you need the metroguide maps for that? I can't tell you where to get them from, but I'm sure that question would create a bit of a torrent of advice! :ph34r:

I've also got the Scottish Mountaineering Club contour line maps on as well which are great (and free!) for caching since you can see where the hills are, and possibly ways around them.

Thanks for your help on this, I do alot of hillwalking so the SMC system looks good ,but only useable in Scotland no doubt.

Did your Vista cx come preloaded with the UK Roads and Recreational maps or did you download it from somewhere?

Cheers

I can bore for Britain on this particular subject.

If you own a Garmin unit that supports auto-routing, you can only get this to work if you install map and auto-routing data from one of Garmin's high end software such as City Select or City Navigator. Both are only supplied with hardware at "home" or very expensive as a standalone product abroad. For example, in the USA, a Streetpilot comes with CN USA and they can buy CN Europe. In Europe, we can buy CN USA. Complicated - yep! Expensive - you bet! These high end software programmes are protected through codes that only allow the software to work with a specific unit via it's internal serial number.

NOTE: City Select Europe is no more - when CN Europe V8 was issued, CS was stopped. I mention it for those who may still use it.

However, Garmin will allow an owner a second unlock code for free. So, if you already own a Streetpilot (or other unit that came with autorouting software) you can use the software with a second unit. This is what I have done, I use City Navigator Europe V8 in my Streetpilot 2610 AND a Vista Cx.

With Garmin's blessing, I recently sold on my old Vista C along with CN Europe V7 unlocked for that Vista C. (Going well down there in Cornwall Chris?). V7 is the end of the line for the Vista C due to its fixed 24Mb of internal memory.

By the way, if you can get your hands on an old copy of Metroguide USA V4 - it includes autorouting data that can be installed into your Vista C and will enable it to autoroute (in the States of course). The map data is well out of date but it works...

Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify, I can purchase City Navigator Europe from Garmin which will work on my Vista cx which will enable me to utilize it in the same way as a Tom Tom, i.e give me turn by turn instructions along roads to allow me to reach my destination[ although obviously without voice commands]

Some kind cacher also recomended UK Roads and recreational maps , would this also be usefull for cross country caching hill walking ? and would it be able to run together with the CN software? I would have to somehow switch between the 2 for it to be of any use

Many thanks in anticipation

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help on this, I do alot of hillwalking so the SMC system looks good ,but only useable in Scotland no doubt.

No, they cover the whole of the UK. I mainly use them when caching in Wales to see if there's an easy way around that big hill infront of me rather than having to walk over it.......

Did your Vista cx come preloaded with the UK Roads and Recreational maps or did you download it from somewhere?

No I downloaded the Roads and Recreation maps. Mine came with the same international base map as yours.

I use them at the same time as the contour lines - the maps are transparent so they both show up. The roads and recreation maps would be no use on their own for hill walking since they only show the same level of detail as TomTom - they are yellow for most areas and green for national park areas etc. but where there are no roads they are just blank. The SMC contour maps fill-in the blank areas with contour detail allowing you to see the hills.

Can't help with the routable maps I'm afraid since I don't use them. I use my car SatNav to get me to the parking coordinates and then switch to my Vista when out walking.

Edited by HooloovooUK

No, they cover the whole of the UK. I mainly use them when caching in Wales to see if there's an easy way around that big hill infront of me rather than having to walk over it.......

No I downloaded the Roads and Recreation maps. Mine came with the same international base map as yours.

I use them at the same time as the contour lines - the maps are transparent so they both show up. The roads and recreation maps would be no use on their own for hill walking since they only show the same level of detail as TomTom - they are yellow for most areas and green for national park areas etc. but where there are no roads they are just blank. The SMC contour maps fill-in the blank areas with contour detail allowing you to see the hills.

Can't help with the routable maps I'm afraid since I don't use them. I use my car SatNav to get me to the parking coordinates and then switch to my Vista when out walking.

Thanks ever so much for your help, I think I know what to go for now You have clarified the problem so well

You can also autoroute with MetroGuide using third party software instead of Mapsource..I have MG v7 working on my gpsmap 60c as the map tiles in CN8 which I also own are too large to cover a decent size area ..It is discussed in detail Here

Dave

Another, but not cheap, way is to get Garmin's Topo UK maps. The maps have roads, and a large POI database with fuel, hotels, food, etc, and enables compatable units to guide you on road with turn by turn guidance. It shows contour lines, and good detail on lakes, rivers and footpaths and shows trig-points.

Using this software, I can use my GPSMAP 60C as a in-car sat-nav, then use it to go walking and hunting for geocaches. It's an investment, but i think it's worth it.