Why Do Coins Get Pinched?

Andys101 & Redfrock

I must admit I am at a total loss as to why people feel the need to keep somebody elses property. I can understand that coins might go missing if a cache is muggled but other than that I am stunned.

As you can probably tell, one of my coins has been stolen, for want of a better word and now I am worried about releasing my other coins. I didn't buy them to keep but to release and watch their journeys. I had done everything I thought necessary to make the coin unattractive to collectors. I 'defaced' it by drilling a hole through it and attaching a very specific message about what it was and it's mission, but it would seem this wasn't sufficient. The cache wasn't muggled - it is in a very well hidden spot, and when I finally got to the cache 2 months after my friend had placed there, in the hope of retrieving it and getting it moving, the cache was safe, as was all its contents. It was just my coin that had gone, and no mention in the log book that it had been retreived.

Unfortunately 2 other cachers coins were stolen within a 4 mile radius of this cache at around the same time. The area is fairly local to us, and there are not a huge amoung of cachers in the area.

So if defacing the coin isn't going to stop somebody, then what is? And just what makes these people tick???

Moan over.

edited for spelling

Edited by Andys101 & Redfrock

I hear what you are saying and I started a cache just so people can trade coins or just stop by to see what they look like!! We never got to see a geocoin for the first year we cached and so we decided to make a cache just for that purpose SO PEOPLE CAN TRADE/MOVE COINS no one better steal them from our cache we watch it!!! geocoin trader GCVW9T so we buy coins and keep on the moving of coins!

Because people are like crows, they collect shiny things to keep around the nest. There's really no function to it, but it keeps them interested. And really it isn't a problem untill they start collecting stealing things they didn't pay for.

Edited by welch