Goondocks Geocaper

JavaDuck

JavaDuck and Nancois are excited to announce the first annual GEOCAPER. The Goondocks Geocaper will be a fun filled afternoon of caching and puzzle solving based on the popular 80's film "The Goonies"

All the exciting event details can be found on the event cache page.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...00-67b1c4827197

A quick break down of the rules are as follows:

Teams can consist of 3 to 6 cachers. Each cacher is allowed a GPS, cell phone, paper, pen, etc. No laptops, PDS's etc. It's you, your brain, and your cell phone. We will provide teams with the Ye Olde Cheat Sheet.

Teams will have 5 1/2 hours to solve 9 puzzles and find the treasure. The solution to all puzzles will be a single word. Each puzzle may solve to the single word or a phrase that leads to that word. For example: The solution to a puzzle may be the word "blue" or the phrase "the color of the sky".

At each puzzle location, cachers will search for a cache that contains the puzzle or parts of the puzzle. Teams will also receive clue envelopes at each location. There will be clues to help locate the cache and clues to help solve the puzzle. Each envelope will cost a team a set amount of points.

Scoring will occur as follows:

100 points for each puzzle solved

-10 points if the first cache clue is used.

-25 points if the second cache clue is used.

Teams will lose only 25 points maximum if both envelopes are opened, not 35 points.

-25 points if the first puzzle clue is used.

-50 points if the second puzzle clue is used.

-100 points for the third puzzle clue. This clue is the "We're not having fun", "We give up", "We're stumped, give me the answer" envelope.

The minimum score a team can receive for a puzzle location is zero points.

The team with the highest score wins. In case of a tie, the team that completes the course in the shortest amount of time will be considered the winner. Most puzzles solved will be a second tie breaker if needed.

What do you win?! The honor of being the best puzzle solving team. The honor and praise of fellow geocachers.

We hope to see you on July 22!! If there are any questions, please email me or post a note here.

PS We are also looking for volunteers to help us with the event.

Just a quick note, teams do not need to know anything about (or even seen) the movie "The Goonies" to enjoy this geocaper. However, if you have seen the movie (and are a fan) you may enjoy the geocaper a bit more.

Hope to see all of ya Goonies in July! :ph34r:

Hi Happy Frog!

We can use volunteers to help staff puzzle locations. However, if you want to be on a team and enjoy the event, feel free to do that as well. There will be all sorts of puzzles. We will be provided a cheat sheet to help solve the puzzles. Well, the cheat sheet will help on some puzzles and others not so much. Of course there will be clues and the "We are not having fun" clue, so teams will not have to be stuck at one location if they cannot solve a puzzle.

Just let us know which you want to do!

JavaDuck!

I understand we cannot bring any electronic device (thanks since mine aren’t wireless) to help us, but can we bring references sources that we have available? After solving many mysteries, I have pages printed out that helped me solve various caches (such as the Temple of Quack) and was wondering if I could bring them or would that be considered wrong? Are other teams planning on bringing references?

P.S. I think anyone who heckles should at least have cookies or chocolate to make the words a bit sweeter don’t you think? :D

First in response to WanderLost. Since volunteers will be wearing some sort of Pirate garb, I think a lil bit of tormenting may be allowed. :D We do want to keep the teams moving along ya know. Of course the teams could torment ya back.

And on to GrnXnHam. Additional references (on paper) will be permissable. However, teams shouldn't need them since all teams will recieve the Ye Olde Cheat Sheet. The Ye Olde Cheat Sheet will have information that will help teams solve the puzzles. Now deciding what information to use and when is another story.

If there are any more questions, just post here or shoot me an email.

P.S. You know Washington and the weather. So, we will hold the event rain or shine. Hopefully we have shine and lots of it!

PPS None of the puzzles are as tough as the Temple of Quack. I'm not that evil.

Edited by JavaDuck

GEOCAPER UPDATE!!

A cacher emailed me saying it woud be nice to know you was signed up, so they could size up the competion. So, here it goes.

We have one team registered, The Terrible T's, and I have heard from a few other cachers showing interest in signing up just no email yet.

As soon as you have a team of 3 cachers, please email me your team information. You can always add up to 3 more people later if you want. Remember the deadline is July 8th. Nancois and I need the team names so we can put finishing details on some aspects of the event.

Thanks

JavaDuck

Welcome aboard Bears! Glad to have you both join us!

Just over a month left to claim your spot for a fun filled afternoon. Again, if you are interested, but don't have a team yet, post a message here. We have 8 team spots left.

Goonie Fact:

The cast of kids did not see the ship in the movie until the scene was actually shot. It had to be reshot though, since some of the kids accidentally adlibbed (using a 4 letter word).

GEOCAPER update!

There are 6 teams signed up. There are ONLY SIX spots left. Sign up now for a fun filled day along the Ruston Way waterfront and Old Town in Tacoma.

The teams ready to search for One Eyed Williy's Treasure are:

1) The Terrible T's

2) JuneOggie

3) Sir Green Noltex Clan

4) Team398

5) Team NUTS

6) Team FanTUStic

Hi fellow Goonies! The GEOCAPER is just 4 days away! We are exciting about meeting the 10 teams that have signed up for this excting adventure.

If you missed out on joining a team, you can still partake in all of the fun, by joining Capn JavaDuck and Capn Nancois by helping out the day of the event. We still could use 1 or 2 people from 11:30 to 6ish. Yeah a long day we know. But we will feed you at the end of the day and just think you get to watch (and heckle if you wish) while teams look for a cache that you know the location of.

If interested, send me an email

Capn JavaDuck

The Goondocks Geocaper is here! Tomorrow teams of brave cachers will be facing the heat, 9 puzzles and 9 caches. All trying to first find the hidden treasure somewhere in Old Town and the Ruston Way area of Tacoma. Thanks to all the teams that have signed up for this exciting event! See you in the morning!

WOW! This event surpassed my expectations. First thanks to Nancois for helping me organize the event. Special thanks to Wander Lost, Crazy Z, Tracer Bullet, Steph (friend of Nancois), Oh Joy, and 1/2 of GrnXham for staffing the puzzle locations. We couldn't have done it without you.

And a super BIG Thanks to all the teams that participated. I hope you had as much fun and enjoyment as I and Nancois did creating the mind bending puzzles.

Congrats to:

1st place team-- Sir Green Noltex Clan

2nd place team-- The Terrilbe T's

3rd place team-- FanTUStic

Hope to see you all at next year's Geocaper!

edit: Corrected the 2nd and 3rd place teams-- 7/23/06

Edited by JavaDuck