The Feng Shui Compass Geocoin

toponym

Finally, here is the third coin I currently have in production.

As with the other two, I will make this available first to those on my e-mail list. If you would like to be added please send me an e-mail smalltreasures4sale@cox.net

Erik (Toponym)

Publishing 3 coins at once just goes to um, illustrate perfectly just how commercialized some Geocoins are becoming. Loose association with caching is not made by simply including the word 'cache' in coin verbage. By publishing these almost simultaneously, it looks to be nothing more than a commercial venture to exploit caching solely for monetary gain. Rather than contributing something worthwhile to the Geocaching (coin) community, you're just throwing some metal on the table and hoping it gets scooped up because we don't know any better.

Also, no offense, but 2 of the coins look like my daughter puked Skittles.

no offense though :ninja: ...does inserting "no offense" in front of a harsh comment make it warm and fuzzy?

That being said though, I agree with you about the coins...I think that the open market will take care of these type of geocoins in the long run.

puked skittles...I love that...

Jamie - NFA

Edited by NFA

Yeah I love this coin too. I use Feng Shui every time I go caching or even begin to think about geocaching. Every one should have a dozen of these. I cannot think of a coin more relevant to the world of geocaching. Why would anyone ever think of this as a commercial ploy to extract money from the pockets of hard working geocachers. Feng Shui and greed never go together. Right? :ninja:

There were people that had negative things to say about A coin I co-designed, but to each his own. I knew going into it that I wouldn't please everyone, nor did I try to. Out of some of the suggestions on the coin in design stage, some changes were made that ended up making the coin better overall.

I don't particularly care for any of them and that was the point I was making.

I agree that it's not really geocaching related but that's not what I base my purchases on.

Criterion #1 : If it's cool to me, then I'm interested.

This coin is cool to me so I'm interested.

Criterion #2 : Cost

How much is this coin? Probably a good thing to post ... or did I miss that somewhere?

Is this a pre-per-order since there's nowhere for the people to buy or even a mention of the price? Wouldn't it be a better business practice to have ALL the info for the people to make their orders like the web site, price, delivery time, etc?

Personally I have no interest in buying this coin since there's not a trace of anything to do with Geocaching other than the tracking number. I had a great Aunt who had fits with Feng Shui for years before actually being properly diagnosed. I saw the terror on her face when she was told it was Feng Shui. We prayed for days on end for her to be cured. To this day she can not even drive past a furniture store without wanting to rush inside and recline all the chairs. This is not something I think we should be joking about and taking so light hearted as to make a coin about it here. Sheesh. Some people have no sympathy for the people and their families who have had their lives ripped apart by Feng Shui.

The coin compass side is a representative of the Ba Gua Here's another helpful site . The 360 degrees is part of the Masters Ba Gua for use in Feng Shui. Exact measurements are crutial for placement. If the measurements are off even the slightest bit it becomes useless. So in a way this coin is more closely related to geocaching then you'd guess. Getting co-ord is crutial, it sucks when you go to look for a cache and find it 100 feet away from where it's supposed to be. Of course we're hunters so it's not as important as it is in feng shui. If you place a chair in the wrong place you could potentially doom your family for life! Well if your into that, that is.

The coin compass side is a representative of the Ba Gua Here's another helpful site . The 360 degrees is part of the Masters Ba Gua for use in Feng Shui. Exact measurements are crutial for placement. If the measurements are off even the slightest bit it becomes useless. So in a way this coin is more closely related to geocaching then you'd guess. Getting co-ord is crutial, it sucks when you go to look for a cache and find it 100 feet away from where it's supposed to be. Of course we're hunters so it's not as important as it is in feng shui. If you place a chair in the wrong place you could potentially doom your family for life! Well if your into that, that is.

I am thinking this 'Feng Shui' stuff is for people with O.C.D.

That's 'O.C.D.' (obsessive-compulsive disorder), not 'O.C.B.' :ph34r:

Thanks for the info!

If you place a chair in the wrong place you could potentially doom your family for life! Well if your into that, that is.

Jeeeze!! Now I know whats wrong around here!! :cry:

I usually adhere to the "Fling Sheee" philosophy! :)

"Hey! An empty spot! Fling it right there!" :D

D-man :D

Finally, here is the third coin I currently have in production.

As with the other two, I will make this available first to those on my e-mail list. If you would like to be added please send me an e-mail smalltreasures4sale@cox.net

Erik (Toponym)

Publishing 3 coins at once just goes to um, illustrate perfectly just how commercialized some Geocoins are becoming. Loose association with caching is not made by simply including the word 'cache' in coin verbage. By publishing these almost simultaneously, it looks to be nothing more than a commercial venture to exploit caching solely for monetary gain. Rather than contributing something worthwhile to the Geocaching (coin) community, you're just throwing some metal on the table and hoping it gets scooped up because we don't know any better.

Lest anyone think I am ignoring them or have no opinion on the matter, I will reply to all of the recent posts once and then let everyone else have the last word.

Geocoins are becoming commercialized - Once Groundspeak became a corporation, all of geocaching became commercialized with licensing fees, trademarked logos and stickers, pencils, compasses, t-shirts, etc. There is nothing wrong with that, it is just the way it is.

I don't believe my coins are "loosely" associated with geocaching. Obviously others disagree. Some of my coins I will make just for fun, such as the Leprechaun coin. Others came about because I incorporate teaching my children about map reading, geography and navigation as well as nature/science when we are out and about. The John Harrison Coin is significant because it reminds us that at one time, people actually had to use some thinking to determine their location. Navigation was serious business before it became a game. In regard to the Feng Shui Coin another member said, "it's more closely related to Geocaching than you might think" (or something similar). I am not a practitioner of Feng Shui however, in researching compasses and navigation I learned about other uses for compasses and thought others might also find it interesting. I also discovered that Muslims utilize a special compass for prayers (Google Islamic Compass). I briefly considered turning that into a coin as well but reconsidered for fear of offending extremist fanatics. I now know that I might have done exactly that.

Toponym

Thank you for posting this info. I was wanting one of these to add to my collection, but didn't know where to get one execpt on ebay and didn't really want to pay those prices. I ordered two for $16, from your link, and that included shipping. Much better deal than on ebay.

Thanks again, this looks like a really nice coin, very colorful.

do you ship to the UK? went to the site but the shipping was fixed at $3 or $3.50 (can't remember now), which i know is way too low for international shipping.

Yes, I will ship anywhere in the world.

Either PayPal doesn't allow it or I just haven't figured it out - how to charge a different rate for international shipping. Go ahead and order direct from the site.

Erik

I ordered two of these pretty coins, and they came in the mail today :P

I know we all have varying tastes when it comes to our geocoins, but I find these highly appealing, they are some of my favorites. Nice design and colors, front and back.

WOW, like the nice little coin pouch these came in, SWEET!!!

Great coin (my opinion :P ), great price at the above link, come with the activation code, and each came in a cute little pouch. What is not to like about this deal? Thank You!

Valarie

Band of Bradys

Edited by Band of Bradys

WOW, like the nice little coin pouch these came in, SWEET!!!

Great coin (my opinion <_< ), great price at the above link, come with the activation code, and each came in a cute little pouch. What is not to like about this deal? Thank You!

Valarie

Band of Bradys

i did not get an activation code with mine!!!! what can i do?

edit:

OOPS!!!!!! gost, i am such an idiot. just glad i hadnt taken the trash out yet. LOL. activating NOW....

Edited by ChapterhouseInc

there are some really neat coins out there that are not geocaching related. If I see a cool coin that I like I buy it.

If every geocoin made had a geocaching logo I think the coins would get boring pretty quickly. Some of the best coins I've seen don't have a geocaching theme...just a geocachers user name. Why? because there different from the rest.

I'm not saying that everyone should get away from the geocache theme because thats what the coins are for....I'm just saying that it's nice to see a coin that's different from the rest once in a while, and I won't put them on my X-list just because it don't have a gps, compass, or some other graphic related to geocaching.

Just my .02 worth :(

Can someone tell me how to get activation codes for this one please.

PM'ed ya!

If you purchased the coin directly from me, I should have attached it to the packing slip. If I didn't, I aologize. Send me an e-mail to Shop@SmallTreasures4Sale.com and I will get you the activation code.

Erik (Toponym)

Can someone tell me how to get activation codes for this one please.

PM'ed ya!

If you purchased the coin directly from me, I should have attached it to the packing slip. If I didn't, I aologize. Send me an e-mail to Shop@SmallTreasures4Sale.com and I will get you the activation code.

Erik (Toponym)

I traded a coin for this one and I didn't have any activation code coming along... Where could I get one?

Thanks!