What Do You Miss About Geocoin Collecting?

Kealia

I remember about 9 months ago when I looked forward to logging onto these boards to see if there were any new and exciting coins coming out. That was when coins were mostly personal, state, or organization coins.

Now, the only time there is a new thread it's announcing another coin sale of coins that I have no interest in.

I miss that excitement of "what new coin may be announced today?" It's kind of like that feeling of finding a cache and just getting ready to open it to see what's inside.

What do you miss?

I miss the personal non trackable coins. Better than half my collection is made up of these and they are just not being produced anymore. They were less expensive and more likely to end up in a cache and a lot more interesting. The icons are nice but it is the coins that have appeal to me.

kealia's avatar summed up everyone's obsession with getting the latest "precious".

Now I just look at it and think: "Man, that guy needs some moisturizer".

ROFLMAO!!

What I also miss is the "hunt" for coins. Remember when there were so few made that you had to scramble to get them? And if you didn't you had to trade for them? It was just like colelcting football/baseball cards when we were little.

Now you can buy just about anything - but who wants to?

Well It seems like with all things.

The excitement of the all.

The ONENESS with nature.

In the beginning there was.......................^

Then came the ...................................>

Does it seem like...........................¬

™ ® © § ¢ £ € ¥ ƒ ¤

coins,coins ,coins

And now I hope no...................÷

Because we all still have the geocaching vision.

We will have to take the .......±

Sort it out and be responsible.

I can not say whether this is good or that is bad but critique is one thing and criticism is another.

We have all learned from these experiences and I hope to keep learning.

I was thrilled and am thankful to this community of geocachers for helping us achieve our goals and others as well do things that may have never been possible before and may never happen again.

I think that we all become a little out of tune with the original function (focus)of geocaching as a whole.

A fun,family oriented good time.

A chance to be with nature and enjoy the beauty and splendor of the great outdoors.

I try to do this with each chance I get.

I plan and have planned things for years here and enjoy all the aspects related to geocaching.

I wish I could do more.

Well I think I have really said it all so thank you for reading this far.

HAPPY.................................................................GEOTRAILS

I miss the personal non trackable coins. Better than half my collection is made up of these and they are just not being produced anymore. They were less expensive and more likely to end up in a cache and a lot more interesting. The icons are nice but it is the coins that have appeal to me.

my personal, non-trackable geocoins are available for trading...in addition, they and my TFTC geocoins have gone into every geocache I've visited since the geocoins arrived...if you're not finding geocoins in caches, come to northern NY...

Jamie - NFA

my personal, non-trackable geocoins are available for trading...in addition, they and my TFTC geocoins have gone into every geocache I've found (and hidden) since the geocoins arrived...if you're not finding geocoins in caches, come to northern NY...

Jamie - NFA

How about actually finding them in caches!

I've been caching since January 2006 and I have almost 300 finds, and I've only seen 3 coins in caches.

If no one puts coins in caches there will be no coins to find. We need to get the price down on coins so people will be more inclined to put them in caches. The LE coins do more harm that good. They NEVER get put into caches. Complaining that this coin sucks or that coin isn't geo related enough etc. just means less coins availiable to put into caches. Let them produce the coins. If people don't like them as much the price will come down enough that people might buy them and put them into caches. If you really want to see coins in caches though put some coins out there and try to get others that you know to do the same. The more coins out there the better chance they won't get pinched is the way I look at it. I have some coins that I'm getting ready to set free in the SF bay area and hope that some other cachers in the area will follow suit. Coins are cool but they can't be enjoyed much in a book on someone bookshelf. :ph34r:

I cant say that I miss anything cause I am still a noob but I have seen alot of geocoins that are totally commerical in the short time I have been caching and think that it kind of floods the market with "crap" oh well if people dont like the non-geocaching commerical coins and dont buy them I think it will slow down the production of them, we want to make our own coin but when the time is right and for the right reasons not to get rich quick.

How about actually finding them in caches!

I've been caching since January 2006 and I have almost 300 finds, and I've only seen 3 coins in caches.

If no one puts coins in caches there will be no coins to find. We need to get the price down on coins so people will be more inclined to put them in caches. The LE coins do more harm that good. They NEVER get put into caches. Complaining that this coin sucks or that coin isn't geo related enough etc. just means less coins availiable to put into caches. Let them produce the coins. If people don't like them as much the price will come down enough that people might buy them and put them into caches. If you really want to see coins in caches though put some coins out there and try to get others that you know to do the same. The more coins out there the better chance they won't get pinched is the way I look at it. I have some coins that I'm getting ready to set free in the SF bay area and hope that some other cachers in the area will follow suit. Coins are cool but they can't be enjoyed much in a book on someone bookshelf. :ph34r:

There have been more and more coins released into the wild, just because they might not be in caches in your area doesn't mean they are not being released.

I might add that there is THIS THREAD that was started some time ago that helps promote putting coins back into caches. If you are interested in participating there was a Yahoo Group that was started with the intent of releasing coins.

I miss when our geocoin club could keep up with all of the new coins. Back then, all we had to do is let the club know if we found out about a new coin coming out and the club would buy it.

My back misses the days when I could lift my collection.

--Marky

I miss the days when I collected coins by making a personal connection to another cacher in some far off area of the world!

It used to be fun to know that one of my coins was going to someone in exchange for one of theirs. Now it's all about buying designs I like and skipping at least 80% of all new coins.. I just can't justify keeping up on all the new releases and have switched to buying some coins and trading in person only.

My back misses the days when I could lift my collection.

Ain't that the truth! Need a handcart for mine, lol!

I miss the day when I used to be able to keep up my coin collecting by putting them in binders, I have since resorted to a shoe box (literally) :cry: .