How Close Were You?

I can think of a few that I've driven by, a few feet off the road. Ah, but the one that got me started in this game is a few hundred feet off the trail that I maintain. I read about geocaching in the newspaper, and checked it out. Next time up on the trail, I brought along my GPS, and went for it. I had hiked within a hundred feet of it on numerous occasions. It was a great hide, and a great cache. It got me hooked. Always start off with the best. So, I blame it all on BrianSnat! :P

I was right on top of the location of The Falls hundreds of times before I learned of geocaching. :ph34r:

Of course this all took place several (OK about 30) years before geocaching and the cache even existed. :ph34r: It's hidden in the woods about a half-mile from the house I grew up in. We used to play in those woods all the time. My wife says that acting like little boys playing in the woods all over again is part of the attraction of caching. Finding this one 2 years ago brought back lots of great memories. :ph34r:

To really answer the OP, probably not very. I've changed my outdoors recreational behavior a lot since I began caching. A walk in the woods used to be down the right side of the fairway looking for a sliced drive. I've been places I would never have visited if not for a cache hidden there.

I had to drive about 60 miles round trip for my first 2 caches, and had to do about a 3 hour round trip hike.

Of course if I'd checked the local maps I could have cut the hike down to maybe an hour, its a good idea to check area maps, sometimes suggested parking isn't the closest parking. :ph34r:

Urban multi cache. First stage is located about 18 inches from the door of the hair salon I frequent. I now taunt my hair stylist (who is very interested in geo-caching and likes to hear my stories) about how close it is. I also discovered that the huge plate glass windows in the "color area" are great for seeing how your highlights came out in true light, but demand much stealth when trying to hit the cache!

When I joined up and punched in my coordinates and found a cache about 100ft from my location!

When I'm standing at my kitchen sink I can see its location out my kitchen window!

I'm just finishing reading the manual that came with my brand new GPSr then I will make my first official find by taking a quick walk around the block

So when you snag the cache... wave!

madmike

(Driver Carries Cache)

About two weeks before we started caching, I sit on a bench in the exact stop with a micro hidden on the bottom of the bench. That cache just happened to be the fourth find of us.

Also one of our favorite spots to go for a short walk was a boardwalk at a marsh not too far from home. We had walked down this boardwalk countless times. We later cached on that same place. Many, many times we had been within a foot or two of it