Question On Placeing A Cache.

I just tried to find info on where I want to place a cache but did not find any topocs. So.........

Have you, do you know of, or would there be a problem, in placing a cache in a Hospital location?

I do work at a Hospital that has a garden in the middle of it. It is outside with trees, plants ect. but is walled off on all 4 sides. There is only one door that will let you into it, so you would have to go into the hospital its self to get to the garden.

What do you think? Would this be one of the hands off areas?

Would really be a great place to put one.

Thanks

I'm guessing if the hospital didn't mind and gave permission, it would be OK. However, satellite reception might be quite difficult if it's walled in on all sides and the walls are high. There's one near where I live that has the cache right outside the hospital entrace ... although come to think of it, it's actually an offset cache the requires reading a sign and then finding the cache nearby or a walking trail.

I don't see it as being much different than other specialized kinds of caches that require you to do things other than walk through the woods or down a city street, but perhaps one of the approvers who read these forums might give you their opinion. If it's a public area and can be gotten to without having to pay an entrance fee or something, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Keystone? One of the others? Waddaya think?

I think it would be a bad idea.

To those unenlightened masses out there we look suspicious enough.

If we start wandering around a hospital with our GPSrs looking under the shrubbery the local police won't be far behind.

my gut instinct is to say nice idea but not practical as too many potential problems.

bear in mind that the garden will also be used by stressed out patients or family members potentially after some bad news and the last thing they want to see is one of us crawling around...

this is assuming that the hospital powers that be haven't really gone for the idea. if they are really enthusiastic then go for it...

This is a very small hospital and I have never seen anyone even go into this garden. Its not like most hospitals that you might be use to. Its almost a out Pt. hospital. Only a 4 bed ICU. No trauma, limited ER. We do a limited number of total joint replacements there and these Pt.s are on the second floor. First floor is usually empty office area.

I was thinking about the gps part. That was one thing I needed to work out. I was thinking about making this a multi with one outside with clues to get inside to the garden. To get to the garden all you need to do is enter the main door, walk down a short hallway turn and go through the door to the garden, so its not like you have to hunt all over to find it.

Still thinking about it but again wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks

This is a very small hospital and I have never seen anyone even go into this garden. Its not like most hospitals that you might be use to. Its almost a out Pt. hospital. Only a 4 bed ICU. No trauma, limited ER. We do a limited number of total joint replacements there and these Pt.s are on the second floor. First floor is usually empty office area.

I was thinking about the gps part. That was one thing I needed to work out. I was thinking about making this a multi with one outside with clues to get inside to the garden. To get to the garden all you need to do is enter the main door, walk down a short hallway turn and go through the door to the garden, so its not like you have to hunt all over to find it.

Still thinking about it but again wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks

Actually, I wouldn't mention a thing about the interior courtyard. That could be one tricky cache! Imagine doing laps around the hospital, then trying to keep your bearing while walking around those crazy hospital corridors.

If there are any mods around could you give some thoughts?

Thanks.

Rick

Mods aren't the same as reviewers. But as one who has been around here a while, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that a cache like this won't be published without the permission of someone very high up the hospital administration.

There is a cache here in the UK in a hospice in the rear gardens. It has the full permission of the authority. When I was there all the nurses and patients were giggling at the windows while I was trying to find it. The other good thing is that the cache owners will donate a pound for every person who finds it to the hospice. Thats a great idea I think. http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...34-976d87f4122e

Mods aren't the same as reviewers. But as one who has been around here a while, I can say with a fair amount of certainty that a cache like this won't be published without the permission of someone very high up the hospital administration.

Correct.

The name and contact info in a reviewer note on the submission page, as well as a clear note about permission on the cache page itself should suffice. That's a general idea, but it would be best to contact your area reviewer with coords so he or she can look into it for you before you place it.

To find your area reviewer, go to the page of a recently listed cache near you and scroll down to the "Published" log, click the name, and send an email.

Quiggle

As one with absolutely no experience with medicine OR the inner workings of a GPS, if some hospitals require you to turn off cell phones, would you have to do that with GPSs too? Or is the GPS just "receiving" and not "sending?" And does it even matter to hospital people?

If you can get permission, though, I'd say go for it.

As one with absolutely no experience with medicine OR the inner workings of a GPS, if some hospitals require you to turn off cell phones, would you have to do that with GPSs too? Or is the GPS just "receiving" and not "sending?"

GPS is receiving only, and thus shouldn't cause any problems.

Of course, that doesn't stop airline employees from going ballistic ... :D