Cache Finds In All 50 States

It's rare that a old bumped thread is so well received. But like others who've posted I'm glad this one was. It's pretty cool to see those old semi-forgotten names who used to post regularly in this sandbox. For the past few years I've made some day long treks to add neighboring states when I'm on a geo-road trip. I'm now up to 47 states, but doubt I will get the last three on the same trip. I've never visited Arkansas, Idaho, and Hawaii. When will that bridge/tunnel be completed? :unsure:

On 12/29/2017 at 5:40 AM, NYPaddleCacher said:

If I form a group of 50 geocachers, one from each state, and everyone goes out on the same to find a cache could I claim that I found caches in 50 states in a single day?  If only a couple in the group actually went to Alaska then those are the only geocachers in the group that found caches in Alaska.  

Bad Dog John.  Keep that up and it will be back to Mendocino for you.  LOL

Edited by humboldt flier
more jest

We flew to Alaska in 2016 and found our farthest west cache in Denali (Earthcache) and our farthest north about 20 miles north of Fairbanks.

In 2017 we visited the 6 states north and east of New York state. Connecticut was my 49th state (+DC).

In May 2018 we fly to Maui to get state #50. Next month (February) we attend the events in Yuma and then walk over the border for an event in Los Algodones Mexico.

On 1/7/2018 at 0:24 PM, wimseyguy said:

It's rare that a old bumped thread is so well received.

Yeah, I agree. It's usually the same people complaining about dredged up threads that usually post links to old threads when someone wants to start a thread on a topic well discussed. [Sigh]

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2006 at 6:01 PM, TEAM 360 said:

JOHNNYCACHEAZ was the first to do it. Groundspeak even sent him a congratulatory email...I haven't heard of anyone else accomplishing that.... :ninja:

I know some who did, I rode with them for at least 3 states then they dumped me off. They did this all in one trip. Rented a vehicle that was barely new and was allowed to cross state lines and returned with lots of mileage. For Hawaii and Alaska they did one day return flights. I think it took them 13 days and at least got one ticket and a flat tire.

3 hours ago, hzoi said:

As my grandmother would say, " 'To each their own,' said the old woman as she kissed the cow."

I'd probably kiss a cow before I'd go to Alaska or Hawaii only to find a cache and leave the same day.   That said, when I was looking at itineraries for attending a conference in Australia last year (unfortunately, I wasn't able to go) one of them had a layover in Hawaii that wouldn't have given me much time there but I would have scheduled an overnight layover just to break up the very long flight.  I spent a week in Kauai  many years before I started geocaching but, given the opportunity, I'd still want to spend more than a day there.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

I'd probably kiss a cow before I'd go to Alaska or Hawaii only to find a cache and leave the same day.

That makes two of us.

I was fortunate enough to have the Air Force pay to send me to Hawaii for a few days.  I had one day's notice, since my boss who was supposed to go came down with appendicitis and I was literally the only person in our section who wasn't already on temporary duty elsewhere.  And, poor us, there wasn't room in on base lodging at Hickam, so we had to stay in Waikiki.  Between finds after hours and taking a 1-day pass at the end to cache all day, I ended up with a nice unexpected caching trip.

After that tour, the Army teased me with a promise of a 2-year tour in Anchorage, only to give me orders to go to Fort Sill instead.  Probably for the best, as it was a lot easier moving with our elderly cats and my then 2-week-old daughter from Alabama to Oklahoma than I imagine it would have been going to Alaska, but I was still a little disappointed at first.  (Fort Sill, however, was a great assignment.)

15 hours ago, hzoi said:

That makes two of us.

I was fortunate enough to have the Air Force pay to send me to Hawaii for a few days.  I had one day's notice, since my boss who was supposed to go came down with appendicitis and I was literally the only person in our section who wasn't already on temporary duty elsewhere.  And, poor us, there wasn't room in on base lodging at Hickam, so we had to stay in Waikiki.  Between finds after hours and taking a 1-day pass at the end to cache all day, I ended up with a nice unexpected caching trip.

I've taken a couple of last minute trips where I was able to do a bit of geocaching but neither was in a new country.  A few years ago one of my colleagues was supposed to go to Ethiopia and I was going to go to Kenya and Uganda.  He cancelled about 4 days before he was supposed to go and I was asked to go in his place.  I only found one cache that trip but got to visit a part of Ethiopia I hadn't been to before.  Because the organization in Kenya wasn't ready for my visit I never did get to go.  However, I'll most likely be visiting that same organization for a different, but related project next month.  The other last minute was after I got an email message on a Thursday asking if I could participate in a meeting in Rome the following Tuesday.  I also benefited by the late travel  booking.  The trip was funded by a well known philanthropic organization who booked my r/t files over the weekend: first class both ways.  

8 hours ago, Vooruit! said:

According to Project GC, there are currently 462 cachers with finds in 51 states (which probably includes DC), and another 358 with founds in 50 states. Impressive!

All things being equal, I'll join the 51-state list next year. We're planning a road trip that will take us to the last 6 we need.

• Upvote 1