Reporting Coordinates

I am certain this has been covered before, so please forgive me. And I also am wondering why it hadn't really occured to me yet or why I hadn't worked it out but....

Just how does one log or report a coordinate for something as expansive (and not a specific, dot on the map location) such as a coastline, entire railroad, or river etc.. I have seen WMs related to these items but I am trying to work this out for myself?

I am certain this has been covered before, so please forgive me. And I also am wondering why it hadn't really occured to me yet or why I hadn't worked it out but....

Just how does one log or report a coordinate for something as expansive (and not a specific, dot on the map location) such as a coastline, entire railroad, or river etc.. I have seen WMs related to these items but I am trying to work this out for myself?

Even with something less expansive, the category leader should specifu in the Waymarking requirements exactly where the coords should be taken!

For instance, the outdoor basketball category specifies center court. Building categories sometimes suggest an entrance, etc.

For some categories, it may be more reasonable to suggest Waymarking locations, and then leave it up to the waymarker to choose. But, if that approach is taken, then it must be required that the place of the coords be specified in the description.

Other categories may be best serverd by two waypoints. The waterfall category is a good example where parking coords are requested as well as coords at, or as close as possible to, the falls itself, and specified as bottom, top, or viewpoint.

I think the US National Wildlife Reservation has taken yet another approach, encouraging multiple waymarks within each NWR. Trail systems require a similar approach.

In all cases, communication is the key, and unless the pinpoint for the coords are obvious, they should be specified either in the category requirements or in the waymark description. Drop a note to the category manager if in doubt.

The way it seems to me, anyway. :anitongue: