Can't Update Software On 60cx

I've used my 60Cx a lot in the months I've owned it. It has worked fine and I've even installed a couple of software updates (presently on Ver. 2.62 Beta). Tonight I decided to update to software version 2.70 or 2.71 Beta. I've had no problems at all in the past, but tonight WebUpdater can't seem to find my GPSR.

Later I tried to load a few geocache waypoints from EasyGPS (Ver. 2.3.3) but got an error message that reads "No GPS receivers are connected to the USB port". All my GPSRs (Legend, 60C and 60Cx) are recognized and listed by EasyGPS on the "Send To GPS" Panel. My USB cable is good, connected properly and making electrical connection. The waypoints will transfer to / from everything except the 60Cx.

I uninstalled / reinstalled the Garmin USB driver. I uninstalled / reinstalled my version of Garmin WebUpdater. I re-booted my computer a couple of times. I've done everything I can think of but neither MapSource or EasyGPS recognizes the 60Cx. I just keep getting the message "No devices were found. Make sure your device is connected to your compouter and turned on, then try again".

Lastly, I checked my Control Panel > System > Device Manager >Hardware and under the GARMIN Devices it shows Garmin USB GPS sub-title with an exclamation point on a yellow background. I have no idea what that means, but it probably isn't good.

I'm stumped and would really appreciate any suggestions or advice anyone can lend. :laughing:

P.S. MapSource also can't / won't find the 60Cx either - no matter what I try.

Edited by BGunner01

I just went through the same thing with my Garmin 76csx.

I reloaded the map program many times and the driver. Reloaded Windows (I hate that).

Nothing worked, I called Garmin and the tech said that the trouble is with computers with non-Intel drivers.

He said to get a PCMCIA USB Expansion Card.

I did get a card and everything works OK now.

I don't like that solution because I don't understand it and it worked fine before.

I've used my 60Cx a lot in the months I've owned it. It has worked fine and I've even installed a couple of software updates (presently on Ver. 2.62 Beta). Tonight I decided to update to software version 2.70 or 2.71 Beta. I've had no problems at all in the past, but tonight WebUpdater can't seem to find my GPSR.

Later I tried to load a few geocache waypoints from EasyGPS (Ver. 2.3.3) but got an error message that reads "No GPS receivers are connected to the USB port". All my GPSRs (Legend, 60C and 60Cx) are recognized and listed by EasyGPS on the "Send To GPS" Panel. My USB cable is good, connected properly and making electrical connection. The waypoints will transfer to / from everything except the 60Cx.

I uninstalled / reinstalled the Garmin USB driver. I uninstalled / reinstalled my version of Garmin WebUpdater. I re-booted my computer a couple of times. I've done everything I can think of but neither MapSource or EasyGPS recognizes the 60Cx. I just keep getting the message "No devices were found. Make sure your device is connected to your compouter and turned on, then try again".

Lastly, I checked my Control Panel > System > Device Manager >Hardware and under the GARMIN Devices it shows Garmin USB GPS sub-title with an exclamation point on a yellow background. I have no idea what that means, but it probably isn't good.

I'm stumped and would really appreciate any suggestions or advice anyone can lend. :anitongue:

Have you tried going into the bios on the mother board at startup and resetting the USB options? What you saw in Device Manager means the driver is not working. Try resetting the bios and reloading the drivers.

I'm stumped and would really appreciate any suggestions or advice anyone can lend. :anitongue:

Have you tried going into the bios on the mother board at startup and resetting the USB options? What you saw in Device Manager means the driver is not working. Try resetting the bios and reloading the drivers.

right click on the Garmin (yellowed out) in the Device Manager and delete it. Then reinstall device by attaching to your computer.

I did (or had already done) all the things you guys mentioned, but still with no luck. Darn!!

I "fiddled around" a little more this morning by doing two additional things:

First, I did a Master Reset on the GPSR and all that did was reset all or most of my settings. Oh wait - that's what it's supposed to do isn't it? :ninja:

The GPSR still wasn't recognized.

Second - and this is a tad embarrassing to admit - while switching some cables around on my USB hub to see if maybe one of the connectors was faulty, I noticed that the DC plug powering the USB hub was loose in its receptacle. I pushed it all the way in and that appears to have solved my problem. I think perhaps that it was only making intermittent positive connection. What is still strange to me is that I WAS previously getting power through the USB cord to my 60Cx (the little “plug symbol” in the upper left-hand corner and an illuminated screen) when it was plugged into the hub. I didn't notice any flashing or other indication on the GPSR screen to suggest my USB hub wasn't working properly. I'm still fairly perplexed, but at least all is functioning again now.

Thanks a bunch to all who took the time to respond - what a great and helpful group!! :)