Permissions For Cemetery Caches

medoug

I recently placed a cemetery cache. I was unsure how to get in contact with a board member or groundskeeper. Then I had an idea.... I called a monument sales place that I found in the yellowpages. I simply told them that I needed to contact who was in charge of the cemetery I was interested in. They promptly gave me the name and phone number of the contact. Easy as that!

Of course, this method only works for cemeteries where new burials are still being performed. A pioneer or non-used cemetery would probably require contacting a local historian or somebody like that to get the necessary permission.

Well, I just wanted to share this helpful tip for those cemetery cache hiders out there.

medoug.

When I placed a cemetery micro next to a church, I taped a letter on the church door explaining my actitivies. I stated that if they had any concern they should contact me. This was the best I could do, as a lot of litte country churches may not have a listed phone number or may not even have a phone at all.

In Indiana, abandoned city or township cemeteries are the responsibility of the township trustee. Cemeteries on private property are the responsibility of the property owner. The property owner is supposed to allow the family to enter the cemetery at least once a year to visit, perform maintenence, etc. The DNR has some jusisdiction over any burial that predates statehood also--I am not sure if that is in addition to the other organizations mentioned or just for cemeteries on state property.

Other places will vary. I do know that in Kentucky there is a similar law that allows relatives to enter a cemetery on private property--My neighbor plans to be on her property Memorial weekend because the families of people buried there come spruce up the cemetery that weekend, by prior arrangment.

In some states there are county organizations that oversee cemeteries.

The local library will probably have a family or local history section that may have helpful information as well. In Indiana, there is a huge group of genealogists who work with the Historical groups to try to preseve old cemeteries. I have visted libraries in other states that had info on who to contact for tours of old cemeteries, etc.

But I think medoug had an excellent idea--the local momument company would be sure to know who to contact for most cemeteries. In my area, there is one momument company that has all of the records for the old cemeteries in the county.

Did you call and get permission from that person?

Yes, I called the person they told me. It turned out that he was the groundskeeper and a member of the cemetery board. Not only did he give me permission to place the cache, but he even gave me some additional information about the interesting headstone in the cemetery that I was able to include in the cache description. ;) See here if you are interested:

Meteroite or Meteor-wrong?

I then followed up with a letter to him giving the details of the cache including a verbal description of its location (since he probably didn't have a GPSr), some brief literature explaining the geocaching game, and my contact information.

medoug.

When I placed a cemetery micro next to a church, I taped a letter on the church door explaining my actitivies. I stated that if they had any concern they should contact me. This was the best I could do, as a lot of litte country churches may not have a listed phone number or may not even have a phone at all.

HHHMM? Taped a note to the Church door. Not a Lutheran are you? It was a note not a thesis I hope.

I hope we are talking about historically relevant caches. I'm a bit sensitive having just bought some land in a cemetary. I KNOW we cachers are respectful of those resting in peace. I'd be a bit miffed if someone was not. But, hey that's just me. Like isaid I'm a wee bit sensitive these days regarding this issue. Not to the point of a jerk, but as the man said, "let's be careful out there".

HHHMM? Taped a note to the Church door. Not a Lutheran are you? It was a note not a thesis I hope.

I hope we are talking about historically relevant caches. I'm a bit sensitive having just bought some land in a cemetary. I KNOW we cachers are respectful of those resting in peace. I'd be a bit miffed if someone was not. But, hey that's just me. Like isaid I'm a wee bit sensitive these days regarding this issue. Not to the point of a jerk, but as the man said, "let's be careful out there".

Are you O.K. with a lawnmower running over your grave once a week?

BTW. The cache I placed was an offset cache taking the real hide to a unused/unplotted portion of the cemetery. The first stage is obvious from 50 feet away so I doubt that any graves were disturbed.

Are you O.K. with a lawnmower running over your grave once a week?

BTW. The cache I placed was an offset cache taking the real hide to a unused/unplotted portion of the cemetery. The first stage is obvious from 50 feet away so I doubt that any graves were disturbed.

Why sure I am. But that is a little different than caching in it or around them. it's not my grave though BTW. And see you were respectful of the graves, exactly what i was talking about, SEE!!

we have many historic graves where I live. Capitol city, civil war sites, outlaws, inlaws... I can see them more as a virtual cache. Using a date or letters or quotes. We have several of this type in the actual capital building's museum. Plus we have Thomas Hart Benton murals galore. Great winter spot. Come to MO, we got history comin' out our ears.

Just wanting folks to be respectful and maintain the sanctity of the ground.