Cool Answers Wanted

where?

Wellllll, I got both of my dogs chipped and I was thinking it would be wayyy cool to have a 5 star difficulty multi cache where ya gotta find me at an event and scan my butt with one of those chip readers that vets and animal shelters have......onlyyyyy the chip would transmit the coords to the final cache insted of a tracking code. Cooool huh?

You can steal my idea if ya want.....

Edited by Snoogans

where?

Wellllll, I got both of my dogs chipped and I was thinking it would be wayyy cool to have a 5 star difficulty multi cache where ya gotta find me at an event and scan my butt with one of those chip readers that vets and animal shelters have......onlyyyyy the chip would transmit the coords to the final cache insted of a tracking code. Cooool huh?

You can steal my idea if ya want.....

It would be cooler if it were J-Lo's butt. I have to admit I've scanned that butt once or twice.

Coolest place for a cache--at the site of the Titanic. Way down under the water. I doubt we will see one there any time soon.

As far as I knew the titanic was claimed making it private property. Making it necessary(sp?) to get permission.

thought salvage only claimable if you actually retreive the vessel?

would say the play boy mansion but heff getting on a bit now and it's getting a bit stale! :anitongue:

:ph34r: The International space station.

I really like this one... Definitely a 5-star! One problem ... It's moving. (Would a GPS receiver work if the GPS satellites were below you? :ph34r: )

Actually, I think they would work fine... It would show your elevation/altitude as pretty dang far up there. That is if you can get any signal. I'm pretty sure the signal the satellites are sending is directed primarily towards the earth, but I still think it's conceivable that it would still work.

Area 51 :ph34r:

I nominate Area 54, Material Disposal Area G, at Los Alamos. (I really need to stop making suggestions like this! Last time I did so, the FBI knocked at my door, wanting to know how I knew so much about the classified site in question. sigh! :ph34r: )

An alternate cool site would be a cache in a 55 gallon drum, placed among the abandoned drums of toxic radioactive waste at Hanford Nuclear Reservation.

Another option would be a submersible waterproof "dry box" cache placed in a sludge pit at one of the yet-unremediated EPA-listed Superfund sites in South Baltimore. I actually tried to explore placing a cache in one of those sites, but could not gtet permission for the placement from the current landowner, due to liability concerns.

Isn't there already a cache in a retired nuclear waste storage facility? I think it's in MD? You have to wear a protective suit to sign the log. That's nuts!

Ahem...

I am embarrased....

But, I have to admit...

I live in Maryland.

And that is our cache. The first stages are in Maryland.

Although the final stage is not located in Maryland, but in a nearby state with a contiguous border.

Merely a decommissioned private/military nuclear reactor containment housing from the 1960s.

It is Psycho Urban Cache #9 - Hot Glowing Tribulations

You may see fotos of some famous local cachers in their Tyvek protective bunny suits, carrying their portable radiation monitors, on the cache listing page, near bottom.

For the record: Only a few people have ever reported feeling ill for a few days after visiting the final stage, but all problems reported were minor (headaches, flulike symptoms, etc.) and no problems -- even if they WERE due to the radiation exposure -- have ever lasted more than a few days.

Funny story regarding that cache: A relatively new local cacher, who is a young single mother, advises us that she has just gotten a letter of permission from her internist (MD) at her HMO to bring her little son (I think he is eight or ten years old) along on the final "hot" stage when she tackles it. He apparently issued the permission letter after reviewing the published info on the radiation levels for that site, and felt that such exposure would be harmless. So, the final stage will be visited by a 30-something mom and her young son in the next few weeks. I understand that a previous finder has volunteered to accompany both of them on the final stage, just to make sure that everything goes well! (Of course, the mom is a single mom, and the previous finder is a single male cacher, and they are both in their thirties, and I suspect he thinks she is cute. . . ) :):D

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

How about a magnetic nano right here?:

eiffel.jpg

I actually DID place a magnetic nano up there in August of last year. However, I forgot to place a log sheet in the container, and the reviewer will not okay the listing until a log sheet is in place. Will you please climb the tower and emplace a log sheet in the container next time you are in the area? Cache is about 6 inches from the very top on the antenna.

Oh, and BTW, that thing on the very top is a TV transmitting antenna. I got some nasty RF burns from climbing it last year. But they healed in time. Anything for a cache.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

;) The International space station.

I really like this one... Definitely a 5-star! One problem ... It's moving. (Would a GPS receiver work if the GPS satellites were below you? :) )

Actually, I think they would work fine... It would show your elevation/altitude as pretty dang far up there. That is if you can get any signal. I'm pretty sure the signal the satellites are sending is directed primarily towards the earth, but I still think it's conceivable that it would still work.

The ISS is well below the GPS orbits and indeed uses GPS, but your GPSr is supposed to refuse to work above 60,000 ft, per COCOM export restrictions.

OK check out this cool site. Easy to understand and it has the anwer in plain english. http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gps3.htm

;) The International space station.

I really like this one... Definitely a 5-star! One problem ... It's moving. (Would a GPS receiver work if the GPS satellites were below you? :) )

The ISS is well below the GPS orbits and indeed uses GPS, but your GPSr is supposed to refuse to work above 60,000 ft, per COCOM export restrictions.