Tank Gunnery Software

:laughing: Shooting caches out of cannons is not cool! :rolleyes:

Good point - this would not be cool.

Here's a better idea: On the cache page, post the coordinates to a cannon large enough to hold a person. List the correct firing angle and a bearing. Those interested in finding the cache will have to set the cannon up for the correct trajectory, crawl inside, and have a friend fire the cannon. The cache will be within 20 feet of where you land.

In theory, anyway. Individual weight and wind direction may have an impact on accuracy.

This is the closest thing I could find on SourceForge.net...

Keep in mind that many people may not elect to do a cache where they are required to install software on their computer - fears of viruses, spyware and the like.

If you use it yourself, you can put the info on the cache page and let them math it out themselves, I guess. hard to say, with no idea of the background of the cache idea. Whatever it is, good luck!

Just make sure you have lots of gunpowder on hand. A couple of lightweight cachers won't use much, but stuff ME into that cannon cache_test_dummies is talking about, and I am afraid I would use up your entire stock. :laughing:

Google search results for ballistic calculator, tank

Edited by New England n00b
This is about caching, I want to hide a cache involving this.

I hunted a couple of caches of a similar nature - one based on flinging the cache from a trebuchet, the other where it's shot out of a cannon. I thought they were actually quite fun to solve. :anitongue:

If you're planning to keep the flyout reasonably simple (no drag/wind/etc), then Georgia State University's Dept of Physics and Astronomy has a nice Trajectories page with equations for calculating various aspects of a ballistic flyout (like a tank shell). Better yet, you don't need to download/install any software - you can enter data directly into the web page and see the results.

I am looking for some software that can solve where the shelling will land after the tank shoots it and all you need to do is enter the numbers and it will solve it for you.

Ummmm... Is this for geocaching? :anitongue:

It's actually a way to eliminate muggles. You use the cannon to place the cache, then when the muggles find it, load up a live shell and fire away! You will have to replace the cache after each round though.

You could also use it to place caches in difficult to reach areas or when you just don't feel like walking to the location.

There is a manual somewhere that will tell you how to do this but I am not sure how accessible it is. The term the army uses in figuring out the math is "Surface Danger Area" (what the danger area is from the firing point to the furthest possible point of impact). I am not aware of any software that does this, especially when you are considering the ballistics of tanks. If you are truly considering using a tanks trajectory you may have to look at something that is out dated as current ballistics for modern tanks and artillery pieces are classified.

Is this for some sort of off-set cache where you have to project the waypoint using balistics? What a cool idea. You can project a tanks point of impact out to 20 miles and greater depending on the ammunition used (Round would have to be fired into the air. It can only reach 4 miles when used as a direct fire weapon system).

ENIAC, the world's very first computer, was invented for the sole purpose of figuring out these trajectory questions for the US Army. It weighed Sixty Thousand Pounds :ninja: and contained over 18 Thousand vacuum tubes, it's still a Top Secret how many double AA batteries powered the silly thing :) . It's now used to calculate vegatable trajectories for bored cachers building Potato Cannons in their basements!

The army publishes Firing Tables for all of its weapons. They are little books around the size of a paperback novel. I dont know if they are publicly available. But they list the cannon ie M68 105nn and give the shell charecteristic and how far the shell will travel at given trejectory angles. The Isralies made extesive use of this during their wars with their neighbors by using Tanks as indirect artillary and also the United States used this practice during the Korean War. Tanks were able to move in and set up quicker than conventional artillary pieces.

:D Shooting caches out of cannons is not cool! :ninja:

Good point - this would not be cool.

Here's a better idea: On the cache page, post the coordinates to a cannon large enough to hold a person. List the correct firing angle and a bearing. Those interested in finding the cache will have to set the cannon up for the correct trajectory, crawl inside, and have a friend fire the cannon. The cache will be within 20 feet of where you land.

In theory, anyway. Individual weight and wind direction may have an impact on accuracy.

The human cannonball for our local circus retired a few years back, and they dropped that stunt from the show. It seems they just couldn't find a man of his caliber! :)

Edited by wimseyguy

There are a lot of factors involved, such as type of ammunition and temperature. Of course there is the height and angle of the barrel and all that but most modern MBT have a fire control computer in them that calculates that for the crew. I am not sure excatly what kind of "tank" you'l be firing from, but that might be a determining factor in the calculator you need.

This is about caching, I want to hide a cache involving this.

I'd just like to recommend that people making puzzle caches understand the puzzle and all the potential issues. In my opinion, just finding a piece of software to do the calculations for you won't make for a very good puzzle.

I believe that Cyclops and sons was trying to eliminate error in calculations, as not all people are good at, or have been in a class where they are exposed to this type of math.

We don't want a thread about how a cache hider forgot to carry the two, so my perfectly calculated coordinates were off and I want my two hours of geocaching time back now do we?