Pda

I've been using an ancient Palm HandSpring with Cachemate for a while and am thinking about upgrading. I'm interesting in the following capabilities, more or less in this order, and would like to spend $200 or less:

1. Viewing cache pages off-line (like Cachemate)
  2. Viewing maps off-line. I have MS S&Ts, so was thinking of Pocket S&Ts.
  3. Wireless access for browsing internet at coffee shops.
  4. In-vehicle navigation with a GPS.
  5. Would be nice to replace my cell phone so I don't have to carry that around too.

I'm ok with shopping eBay for a used or refurbished device to keep the price down. Any suggestions on devices I should consider ... Palm, Pocket PC, specific brands or models?

Thanks.

Edited by Pez Tonto

I've been using an ancient Palm HandSpring with Cachemate for a while and am thinking about upgrading. I'm interesting in the following capabilities, more or less in this order, and would like to spend $200 or less:

5. Would be nice to replace my cell phone so I don't have to carry that around too.

I'm ok with shopping eBay for a used or refurbished device to keep the price down. Any suggestions on devices I should consider ... Palm, Pocket PC, specific brands or models?

Thanks.

1. Your Handspring already does this, and any Palm or PPC will.

2. If you want to stick with MS S&T you will have to go with a PPC. There are other options for Palm.

3. Most PPCs will accept a wireless card, many new ones have integrated wireless. Some Palm Tungstens have integrated wireless.

4. There are many GPS add-on options for both Palm and PPC.

5. Given your other requirements, I would drop looking for a phone-enabled device as well. The screen is too small on most Treo-like devices, and no full size PPC/phone devices that I know of that have the expansion capabilities necessary to do all of the above.

Hope that helps.

Thanks.

1. Anything will work, as you know now.

2. Pocket S&T's will require PPC. Palm will use mapopolis (and adding waypoints is not exactly painless). TomTom software for the Palm is expensive, but way worth it.

3. Tungsten TX.. or I use a Tungsten C (Both palm devices)

4. Get a PDA with bluetooth. Lot nicer than having to hookup every time.

5. Dont bother, you sacrifice both ways.

We just got a Garmin PDA, Ique 3600 , on ebay, for 187.50 plus shipping (211.50 total). It was refurbished, but spotless and functions 100%.

It does not have wifi, is palm based, and will not do cell. It comes with city maps and auto-routing, and works well with TOPO maps too.

We love it for everything caching, but it doesnt go into the woods with us. It is capable, but not nearly as sturdy/weatherproof as a regular GPSr.

For you the Treo series of PDAs Palm or Pocket PC will do the trick as will the HP 6300.

You should be able to get them via a cell phone carrier which would help subsidize the price.

Your key questin is PocketPC or Palm. If you know the answer then you know which to look for.

The HP 6300 has a 3.5" screen.

Looks like hte 6300 series was dropped (I cant' find it on the HP site) replaced by a 6500. To bad, the trade off is that the new ones have smaller screens.

Kids can't afford them and adults can't see them. Who is their market supposed to be?

Thanks.

have you looked at the T-mobile "sidekick" i think it's preety cool.

I'm interesting in the following capabilities, more or less in this order, and would like to spend $200 or less:

I don't think it fits your price, but a Treo 650 (cheaper than a 700p) with a Bluetooth GPS receiver, KMaps, and GeoNiche would do everything you want.

Thanks to TheDenvernators for the IQue suggestion. I decided to go that route and got one on eBay for about $200 with shipping. This is a Newly Overhauled unit with warranty and City Slect v7. So I'll be all set on needs 1, 2, and 4. I'll probably look into addng a Wifi card for need 3.

<_<:D Just bought a PalmIIIx PDA and went to download cachemate and found out the version of windows we have..(ME I guess) will not allow hot sync? How the heck am I gonna down load caches or anything? Has anyone heard of this or does anyone know of a solution? We were so excited to think we didn't have to print cache pages anymore!!! tx, jahoadi

<_<:D Just bought a PalmIIIx PDA and went to download cachemate and found out the version of windows we have..(ME I guess) will not allow hot sync? How the heck am I gonna down load caches or anything? Has anyone heard of this or does anyone know of a solution? We were so excited to think we didn't have to print cache pages anymore!!! tx, jahoadi

I have a Palm IIIe. When I upgraded to the new Palm software it would not hotsync. I then removed that and reinstalled the oridginal software that came with the unit and everything works fine.