Paperless Caching Efficiency

I’m interested in how efficiently paperless cacher’s get there waypoints from a pocket query to “ready to geocache”…………. Here is how I do it.

I use GSAK and Cachmate!

In GSAK I have 2 databases

1. My waypoints: The waypoints that I want to save and put back onto my GPS everytime

2. Default:

Step 1: Delete everything

So first thing I do is I delete all of the waypoints from my GPS, cachmate (palm), and GSAK(computer) ‘default’ database.

Then I have a folder in my C: drive called ‘Latest geocaches’.

I delete the last .gpx files from C:/ ‘latest geocaches’.

Step 2: Get the pocket query and load it into GSAK

I go to the latest pocket query email and unzip the .gpx files to the folder C:/Latest geocaches.

Step 3: Open the GPX files, usually 2, one at a time with GSAK into the default database

Step 4: In GSAK, Move/copy the waypoints loaded in ‘my waypoints’ database to the GSAK default database.

Step 5: Send waypoints in default database to GPS

Step 6: Export waypoints in default database to cachmate file

Step 7: Hotsync palmpilot

Done!

Takes about 10 minutes.

Then once a week, I have a pocket query give me the 500 closest caches to my home that I have not found.

I repeat the process once a week.

Does anyone have a more efficient process or a better way to do it!

Step 1: Delete everything

So first thing I do is I delete all of the waypoints from my GPS, cachmate (palm), and GSAK(computer) ‘default’ database.

Then I have a folder in my C: drive called ‘Latest geocaches’.

I delete the last .gpx files from C:/ ‘latest geocaches’.

I delete all the existing Geocaches (found and unfound) on my Legend C before (re)loading the GPSr too. However, I leave my other waypoints so I don't have reload them all the time - not sure which unit you have, but the Legend C gives the option to delete certain waypoints vs all of them.

Is there an advantage to deleting all the caches from the Palm and GSAK?

In GSAK, I just load the new gpx file and it adds to and updates the caches already in the database. I can't envision a reason to delete everything first. :rolleyes:

After I've updated my GSAK database, then I export to Cachemate all the caches and (I assume) :laughing: it just updates the exsisting caches and adds the new ones.

I'm not critizing, but looking for a possible insight on why I should also delete everything first before loading a new gpx.

I load the PQ's in my existing GSAK database. I don't delete the data. :laughing:

Then I run the "Last 2 DNF filter" and check out those caches. No sense in putting caches into my GPSr that are likely missing. :rolleyes:

The only thing I delete is the "Geocaches" and "Geocaches Found" from my GPSr before loading the new set from GSAK. I keep my other waypoints on the GPSr.

On a recent trip, I even kept all the "Geocaches Found" on the GPSr so they would remain when I downloaded my Tracks at the end of each day.

Edited by Miragee

Step 1. Download .gpx from e-mail.

Step 2. Drag and drop .gpx file on short-cut to create waypoint file for laptop mapping software.

Step 3. Copy .gpx to SD card.

Step 4. Put Card in PDA, and load file into GPXSonar.

Step 5. Use GPXSonar to create waypoint file for GPS.

Step 6. Take SD card out of PDA, put in GPS and load waypoint file.

Step 7. Open mapping software on laptop and open waypoint file.

Step 8. Go caching.

Takes about a minute or two from the time I open the e-mail until I'm ready to go caching.

Well for me I use GSAK and Cachemate for pocket pc.I use my pocket pc as my gps with a bluetooth reciver and using the cachenav plugin for cachemate.For GSAK I set up a seperate pop3 account to recive all my pocket queries.Then use the getmail funtion to download all these into gsak.I have pocket queireis set up to cover about 150 miles around my house which is around 6000 caches and also one querie that runs every single day that list any new cache wothin 150 miles.I then filter in gsak by last update gpx and expoert these as a gpx file which I copy onto an sd card then load into cachemate this allows me to have every cache page in N cali with me all the time.After I get home from caching I export the caches I found into a gpx file which I load into gsak and also use for boulters quicklogger to log all of my caches on GC.com.I am trying to find someone to write a macro for getmail and also the gpx exports so that I will get this almost all of this accomplished in one step

I have 3 main databases setup. Traditional Caches, Puzzle(unknown) Caches, and Multi Caches. That way I dont have one huge database of 500 caches that takes forever to sort thru only to find out theres some puzzle I have to solve, or theres a hour long multi cache.

Then I have my out of town databases. Parents home contains the 40odd caches around my parents house, then theres the database of caches along the way.

I do that also, except I include the Multis in my Default database.

However, the Puzzles have their own database, as does the Desert area, and any caches that are more than 40 miles away.

I also created a database for the caches I own, and for the caches I have Found.

For a recent trip, I created yet another database I called Road Trip.

For that road trip, I created separate databases in Cachemate on my Palm for each state, so I wouldn't have to search through so many caches to find the one that was the nearest on my GPSr.