The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

You're in a room where there are 3 light switches; each switch operates one of three light bulbs in a remote room; you cannot see the remote room from the room containing the switches. You can operate any switch or any combination of switches any number of times, but what is the minimum number of visits you must make to the remote room to identify which switch operates which light bulb. Explain your method to get the DING.

Actually it takes just 1 visit - switch two lights on, then wait a few minutes then switch one off. Go into the room - one will be on (operated by the switch you've left on) one will be off and cold (operated by the unused switch) and one will be off and hot - the switch that you did turn on and then turned off again.

Someone once had me puzzling that in a pub for hours....

You're in a room where there are 3 light switches; each switch operates one of three light bulbs in a remote room; you cannot see the remote room from the room containing the switches. You can operate any switch or any combination of switches any number of times, but what is the minimum number of visits you must make to the remote room to identify which switch operates which light bulb. Explain your method to get the DING.

Actually it takes just 1 visit - switch two lights on, then wait a few minutes then switch one off. Go into the room - one will be on (operated by the switch you've left on) one will be off and cold (operated by the unused switch) and one will be off and hot - the switch that you did turn on and then turned off again.

Someone once had me puzzling that in a pub for hours....

DING

Manor House?

I googled it earlier and Ian is CORRECT!

......................as Nediam said, "Over to you."

PS Hope he won the quiz <_<

Cheers Eckington :D and well done to Rutson :D:D

Unfortunately we were pathetic in the quiz! :D (till next time :D )

Re the bulb question:-

I think you can do it in one visit.

Firstly, turn on switch 1 for a few minutes to let the bulb heat up then turn it off (without having left the room)

Then, turn on switch 2, leave it on and vist the room with the bulbs.

The bulb that is lit is operated by switch 2, the bulb that is off but still warm is operated by switch 1, the bulb that is off and cold will be operated by switch 3?

Edit:- MUST remember which page is the up to date page on the topic!

Edited by Nediam

Cheers Marty - a quick one before I go to bed: which country never flies its flag at the very top of the flagpole, and why?

Whilst I'm here I might as well have a guess <_<

Is it a trick question? In so much as all countries fly their flags slightly below the very top of the flag pole?

(guessing that the reason might be that it is good etiquette to raise a flag slightly before it is lowered? :D )

Edited by Nediam

Cheers Marty - a quick one before I go to bed: which country never flies its flag at the very top of the flagpole, and why?

Whilst I'm here I might as well have a guess :D

Is it a trick question? In so much as all countries fly their flags slightly below the very top of the flag pole?

(guessing that the reason might be that it is good etiquette to raise a flag slightly before it is lowered? <_< )

No it's not a trick - one country that I know of officially flies it's flag a few inches lower than other countries do.

I'm intrigued by this. I've never known of this courtesy thing of raising a flag before lowering it. The usual procedure is simply that a flag is raised quickly and lowered slowly.

I was basing it on the "etiquette" for flying flags at half mast. The "correct" procedure to fly a flag at half mast is to raise it straight to the top, pause briefly and then lower it to around the half way mark. When the flag is to be lowered at the end of the day, it should be raised fully to the top before being brought back all the way down. :(

Thought the question might have some basis around this, turns out it doesn't. <_<:(

That narrows it down to well under 200 countries!

Edited to add an abbreviated shortlist:

China 1945-46

Korea 1950-53

China 1950-53

Guatemala 1954

Indonesia 1958

Cuba 1959-60

Guatemala 1960

Belgian Congo 1964

Guatemala 1964

Dominican Republic 1965-66

Peru 1965

Laos 1964-73

Vietnam 1961-73

Cambodia 1969-70

Guatemala 1967-69

Lebanon 1982-84

Grenada 1983-84

Libya 1986

El Salvador 1981-92

Nicaragua 1981-90

Libya 1986

Iran 1987-88

Libya 1989

Panama 1989-90

Iraq 1991-2002

Kuwait 1991

Somalia 1992-94

Croatia 1994

Bosnia 1995

Iran 1998

Sudan 1998

Afghanistan 1998

Yugoslavia 1999

Afghanistan 2001-02

Edited by The Forester

Cuba?

Given that the flag is still flown like that Forester, any with a past grievance but not a current one could have been discounted. Marty you're right with Cuba any guess why?

Go on, I'm intregued!!

That's part of the original question - who & why!

I got the who by guessing so I'll guess the why is to do with the American sanctions and trade embargos against Cuba; are they going to raise the flag when America raises the trade embargo?

Edited by MartyBartfast

Is it because the U.S. still has a base on Cuban soil at Guantanamo? :P

That'll be a DING Nediam - ever since the US refused to hand back Guantanamo Bay after the lease ran out in the 1960s (and the US refused to remove themselves from the location), Cuba has flown its flag a few inches below the full flagpole height. They will only fly it at the top of the flagpole, they say, when the US pull out.

Sorry for not posting another, I've been out and only just checked the forums :huh:

I haven't finished the latest question I was working on so, in the meantime, here's one I pinched 3 minutes ago :):huh:

Name all 24 logo's......

logos.jpg

Some have been edited/cropped a little.

Should keep us all going a while :)

Ding will go to whoever gets the last one....

Edit: - some may be out of date but should still be recognisable

Edited by Nediam

Nice and easy for a lazy and wet Sunday morning.....

......of what is an ailurophobic afraid?

I seem to remember the Francais for Garlic is something like Aile, so I'll go for Garlic.

The logic however is on the right lines as an inmate of St Helena suffered from it too. :anibad: