The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Throughout the world, in many languages, political divisions are described as being "left" or "right".

Where/when/how/why did that distinction come about?

I remember this from my Young Conservative days! :(:huh:

It came from the pesky French about the time they chopped the king's head off.

It related to the divisions in the French parliament pre revolution when you had the royalists on the one side (right) and the ruffians on the other side (left).

Can't remember when the French revolution was but it was somewhere between 1770 and 1805!

Cheers!

Seasider

Sticking with politics....

We all remember Mrs T (with varying degrees of fondness :lol: ) for being the UK's first female prime minister. However, she was not the world's first female elected PM.

The first was a Mrs B but in which country was she elected? And as a bonus which year? :lol:

Cheers!

Seasider

OK, I'll risk not getting the ding but I always beleived 8. That's for data comms. Different I think for memory? Mind you in my teleprinter days of 5 Unit code then 5 would have been the answer, unless you worked on Teletype systems which used an 8 unit code so 8 would be the answer there! But that was so long ago I don't think the word byte had been invented!

Have you developed an allergy to Chinese food yet?

Chris

Whoops took too long to write my answer - beaten to it!!

Edited by The Blorenges

Nick, like your thinking, reminds me of

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't

but not the answer I'm looking for.

Chris, from what little I remember from studying data-comms theory, they tending to use the term "octet" to prevent confusion. In fact, I was thinking about computer storage in my question. I've just checked the comms definition and you're VERY close. But not QUITE close enough, sorry :$

BTW the term was first used in 1957, but in terms of computer storage :)

A carrot is a root vegetable of the family Apiaceae. It varies from white to orange in color and is used a food plant.

There you go, a definition......

Chris

Didn't the EU define the carrot as a fruit, rather than a vegetable, on the grounds that some people use it to make jam -- and everyone knows that jam's made with fruit, not vegetables!

A carrot is a root vegetable of the family Apiaceae. It varies from white to orange in color and is used a food plant.

There you go, a definition......

Chris

The traditional colour of a carrot is actually purple, which was bred out of the common farm stocks many many many years ago!

Right - I'm having a go... :mad:

Can anyone tell me which was the first vegetable to be canned commercially?

Hey, my first ding and I've got a good question ready.... :D

Bagsy on next.

So is it carrots?

Ding!

Ok, here is the question.

What was the cause of the disappearing ships and planes in the area called the Bermuda Triangle. The answer isn't connected to ET or any of his mates. Much more down to earth answer.

Clue: It is 7 letters.

Right - I'm having a go... :mad:

Can anyone tell me which was the first vegetable to be canned commercially?

Hey, my first ding and I've got a good question ready.... :D

Bagsy on next.

So is it carrots?

Ding!

Ok, here is the question.

What was the cause of the disappearing ships and planes in the area called the Bermuda Triangle. The answer isn't connected to ET or any of his mates. Much more down to earth answer.

Clue: It is 7 letters.

Gravity.

"Breaking Wind

Oceanic flatulence. You read that right. Oceanic flatulence is believed to be the true cause of the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle. We're not joking. Forget ETs, UFOs, time travel, Atlantis, even plain old boring magnetic forces. The sea bed 'breaking wind' is the latest scientific 'truth'. One suddenly doesn't know what to believe... are reports of the mysterious disappearances just a load of old gas? While studying gas hydrates back in 1984, the late Dr Donald Davidson, a Canadian scientist, proposed the above theory which has gained much ground over the years. Bit of a science lesson now: at enormous pressures and low temperatures (as at the bottom of the ocean), water and gas molecules form gas hydrates. The compounds, it is argued, resemble ice but the water molecules form cages around gas molecules - such as methane. These solid hydrates retain their stability until conditions such as higher temperatures or lower pressures cause them to decompose. When they do decompose, they release enormous amounts of trapped gas. Disappearances of ships and aircraft passing over these 'blowouts' can then be explained. The sea could turn very violent very suddenly, into a mass of froth that could sink any ship in the area. As the methane rises, an airplane flying through the gas would experience engine failure - or worse: a spark from the engine could turn the aircraft into a flying fireball. No one took much notice of these theories until new information concerning blowouts of naturally occurring gas hydrates emerged in 1990. Solving the tantalizing mystery has come no closer - for 'traditional' scientists - than the work done by marine geologists from the University of Wales, Cardiff in 1996. They believed that the results from drilling the ocean floor in the Bermuda region held the answer to the enduring mystery. Following Dr Davidson's theories, they have found evidence of the frozen methane gas."

Here's a passage that I Googled (yes I know it's cheating :mad: ) but it explains what I wanted to say... :D

Edited by The Golem

"Breaking Wind

Oceanic flatulence. You read that right. Oceanic flatulence is believed to be the true cause of the disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle. We're not joking. Forget ETs, UFOs, time travel, Atlantis, even plain old boring magnetic forces. The sea bed 'breaking wind' is the latest scientific 'truth'. One suddenly doesn't know what to believe... are reports of the mysterious disappearances just a load of old gas? While studying gas hydrates back in 1984, the late Dr Donald Davidson, a Canadian scientist, proposed the above theory which has gained much ground over the years. Bit of a science lesson now: at enormous pressures and low temperatures (as at the bottom of the ocean), water and gas molecules form gas hydrates. The compounds, it is argued, resemble ice but the water molecules form cages around gas molecules - such as methane. These solid hydrates retain their stability until conditions such as higher temperatures or lower pressures cause them to decompose. When they do decompose, they release enormous amounts of trapped gas. Disappearances of ships and aircraft passing over these 'blowouts' can then be explained. The sea could turn very violent very suddenly, into a mass of froth that could sink any ship in the area. As the methane rises, an airplane flying through the gas would experience engine failure - or worse: a spark from the engine could turn the aircraft into a flying fireball. No one took much notice of these theories until new information concerning blowouts of naturally occurring gas hydrates emerged in 1990. Solving the tantalizing mystery has come no closer - for 'traditional' scientists - than the work done by marine geologists from the University of Wales, Cardiff in 1996. They believed that the results from drilling the ocean floor in the Bermuda region held the answer to the enduring mystery. Following Dr Davidson's theories, they have found evidence of the frozen methane gas."

Here's a passage that I Googled (yes I know it's cheating :mad: ) but it explains what I wanted to say... :D

Yep, the 7 letter answer is Methane! Horizon did a great reconstuction of this using some huge water tanks and scale models of the ships. As soon as the methane is released the sea 'foams' and the surface viscosity changes dramatically and the ship sinks in seconds - no time to radio for help.

The huge gas cloud then goes into to air and the low flying WW2 fighters (a whole squadron went missing) explode as they fly though it.

Both the ships and the plane debris then sink to the sea bed and get completely covered by the chured-up sea bed.

Suddendly no trace of either ship or planes....

Now then, as you used Google do I get another go? :blink:

"Breaking Wind

Yep, the 7 letter answer is Methane! Horizon did a great reconstuction of this using some huge water tanks and scale models of the ships. As soon as the methane is released the sea 'foams' and the surface viscosity changes dramatically and the ship sinks in seconds - no time to radio for help.

The huge gas cloud then goes into to air and the low flying WW2 fighters (a whole squadron went missing) explode as they fly though it.

Both the ships and the plane debris then sink to the sea bed and get completely covered by the chured-up sea bed.

Suddendly no trace of either ship or planes....

Now then, as you used Google do I get another go? :blink:

Forgot to mention that Horizon also had some film evidence taken from a boat as it approached and then managed to avoid this "boiling water" effect on the surface of the sea...