The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

What comes next:

Yan

Tan

Tether

Mether

Pimp! :laughing:

(Not casting nasturtiums on your character)

It's a sheep tallying system from Keswick/Borrowdale - as found in a book I got from a cache in Cumbria <_<

DING

Close enough, although variants are used all over the dales & round about. I was working from the Swaledale version myself.

DING

Close enough, although variants are used all over the dales & round about. I was working from the Swaledale version myself.

I live & learn :laughing:

How many minutes of music were CDs designed to hold - and why

(We'll go for the official Philips version but points will be awarded for the other version <_< )

(We'll go for the official Philips version but points will be awarded for the other version :laughing: )

74. The people responsible for setting the standard were especially find of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, and so set the standard to that a CD would be able to accommodate that piece of music.

(We'll go for the official Philips version but points will be awarded for the other version :laughing: )

74. The people responsible for setting the standard were especially find of Beethoven's 9th Symphony, and so set the standard to that a CD would be able to accommodate that piece of music.

Wasn't it 60 minutes, on a CD that would be 11.5cm in diameter rather than the 12cm it is now. There are I believe many versions of events and reasons that 12cm and 74 minutes was decided on.

(We'll go for the official Philips version but points will be awarded for the other version :blink: )

That's a crystal clear but some would say less rich than analogue DING :laughing:

The official Philips version is that it was going to be 60 minutes to match the Compact Cassette format which would accommodate most LPs but the Sony Vice President wanted to to encompass Beethoven's 9th, the average length of which was 66 mins but the longest version was 74 mins which took them from 11.5cm to 12cm. Cynics would point out that Philips owned Polygram which had a factory set up to produce 11.5cm CDs which Sony didn't have - but they both had to start de novo to produce 12cm ones after Sony pushed for 12cm/74 mins - 74 for the 9th is the Philips answer

DIN-GaGaGaGaGaGaGaGa - hmm, scratched <_<

That's a crystal clear but some would say less rich than analogue DING :D

OK, lets stick with a musical theme. Who was responsible for a movie soundtrack scored for "a chorus of 48, an orchestra, 11 dancers, 4 mimes and a dwarf"? (and for a bonus ding-ette, what was the film in question?)

Dunno but I'll be checking YouTube for LordElph's version after the next camping event.

That's a crystal clear but some would say less rich than analogue DING <_<

OK, lets stick with a musical theme. Who was responsible for a movie soundtrack scored for "a chorus of 48, an orchestra, 11 dancers, 4 mimes and a dwarf"? (and for a bonus ding-ette, what was the film in question?)

Been a bit quiet, so maybe it's time for a clue.

The man in question was also responsible for such musical gems as "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow", and was father to some splendidly-named children; Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen.

Been a bit quiet, so maybe it's time for a clue.

The man in question was also responsible for such musical gems as "Don't Eat The Yellow Snow", and was father to some splendidly-named children; Moon Unit, Dweezil, Ahmet and Diva Thin Muffin Pigeen.

The clue tells me that would be frank zappa then <_<

I would need to use google to find the movie

Edited by The Nutters

A man moves into a new house, which has a detached garage. In the garage there are three normal, working, electric lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling. In his hallway there are the three normal light switches to turn the garage lights on/off. The man can not see into his garage from his hallway to check whether the lights are on or off.

He goes and looks into the garage: All the lights are off. He goes to look in his hall: All the switches are in the "off" position.

How can the man determine which hall switch turns which light on, by switching the hall switches, but making only one trip out from his hallway to the garage to check on them?

MrsB lightbulb.gif

A man moves into a new house, which has a detached garage. In the garage there are three normal, working, electric lightbulbs hanging from the ceiling. In his hallway there are the three normal light switches to turn the garage lights on/off. The man can not see into his garage from his hallway to check whether the lights are on or off.

He goes and looks into the garage: All the lights are off. He goes to look in his hall: All the switches are in the "off" position.

How can the man determine which hall switch turns which light on, by switching the hall switches, but making only one trip out from his hallway to the garage to check on them?

MrsB lightbulb.gif

ok, I THINK this is to do with heat and how long the light is on for...

if he turns one light on and leaves it on for, say, 30 minutes, and then turns it off again. he turns one of the others on and immediately goes into the garage. In there he will have one light on (obviously) one light off but hot (the first switch) and one light off and cold (the last, untouched, switch)

Does that work?

Edited by purple_pineapple

Well done! :huh: A big purple Ding !" to that Pineapple! :(

Why thank you MrsB! This would be the male pineapple, just in case you were wondering! The female one spends all her time in chat rooms, as I think you're aware!

Anyway, a question... hmmmm... errrr..... lemme see....

The poets Keats and Shelley are buried in the same cemetery. Where is it?

For a bonus point, what is the epitaph on Keats' grave?

what no answers yet? I'll post a clue (maybe) later this evening after work!

There was a story in Metro the other day about Nicole Kidman doing a TV ad in a dodgy suburb of Rome which mentioned that some romantic poet was buried nearby, I can't remember who they said so I'll guess at Keats & Shelley.

Ding

spot on Marty, and guess where I got the question from :anibad:

For anyone that's interested, RM Ballantyne is also buried there. and the suburb is Testaccio

And Keats' epitaph is "Here lies one whos name was writ in water" which is rather good....

Over to you Marty!

what no answers yet? I'll post a clue (maybe) later this evening after work!

There was a story in Metro the other day about Nicole Kidman doing a TV ad in a dodgy suburb of Rome which mentioned that some romantic poet was buried nearby, I can't remember who they said so I'll guess at Keats & Shelley.

Ding

spot on Marty, and guess where I got the question from :anibad:

For anyone that's interested, RM Ballantyne is also buried there. and the suburb is Testaccio

And Keats' epitaph is "Here lies one whos name was writ in water" which is rather good....

Over to you Marty!

What unusual fate befalls persons waiting to give a lecture in the Royal Society lecture theatre?

Bonus points if you can explain why.

What unusual fate befalls persons waiting to give a lecture in the Royal Society lecture theatre?

Hint, it's to do with something that a (long) past guest did, before (not) giving his lecture.

Do you have to pat a plaque or have a drink to someone who dropped in the anteroom? ;)

Hint, it's to do with something that a (long) past guest did, before (not) giving his lecture.

Do you have to pat a plaque or have a drink to someone who dropped in the anteroom? :o

Nope, but it happens in the anteroom.

Hmm, I suppose it was a bit of an obscure question, and you can't look it up on Google (I know I tried), so here's a last clue (if no-one gets it tonight I'll give up) :-

Many years ago a lecturer got a case of stage fright and did a runner from the anteroom just before he was due to go on, so ever since....

Hmm, I suppose it was a bit of an obscure question, and you can't look it up on Google (I know I tried), so here's a last clue (if no-one gets it tonight I'll give up) :-

Many years ago a lecturer got a case of stage fright and did a runner from the anteroom just before he was due to go on, so ever since....

... speakers have to 'soil' themselves before appearing on stage??? :)