The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

I'm confident that my answer's correct, unless the questioner wants the figure to two decimal places (21.95), so here's my related(?) question:

Where in the world is most of the world's Helium located?

I think that's in the States. I seem to recall that is why Germany used hydrogen in the Zeppelins because they didn't have access to the Helium.

Yup, Texicass, in fact.

In the 1920s the US made a strategic decision to corner the world market in Helium so that Uncle Sam could hold the entire world's airship industry to ransom. The plan came to grief, along with public confidence, as a result of the Hindenburg whoopsie.

The strategic reserve, which holds something like 90% of the world's Helium, is mostly located in Texas and is currently for sale. They've been trying to flog the stuff off for about ten years now, but big business spiked the Fed's plan by having their tame Congresscritters insert a clause into the Act which has resulted in the Fed having to price its Helium at 25% above the free market rate. Hence, the main buyer for the stuff is the gumment itself which now has to buy it, 25% above the market rate, from itself.

Dontcha juz love capitalism and the game of Monopoly!

In the 1920s the US made a strategic decision to corner the world market in Helium so that Uncle Sam could hold the entire world's airship industry to ransom. The plan came to grief, along with public confidence
when the whole government of the USA started speaking in such high squeaky voices that no-one could understand them.

In what kind of device would you find a fusee?

While we're waiting for Pharisee...

Can you tell me what percentage of the Earth's atmosphere is made up of oxygen? :huh:

21%

Sorry, already answered by the Forester

and this is not the first time i have aswered an old question ????????????????????????????????????? ;)

Sorry

Edited by Family Hodge

The way I remember resistor value colour codes is that it's the order of the colours of the spectrum of light, but a mnemonic I was taught by a Tech is: Bad beer rots our young guts, but vodka goes well.

Aviation is full of mnemonics. One which I'm quite sure will instantly spring to mind if I ever have an engine failure on takeoff in a twin-engined aircraft is:

Firewall everything. --this means push all engine control levers all the way forward.

Undercarriage up. --you don't need the gear yet and the aerodynamic drag impedes climbout.

Check which engine iss failing. --shutting down the wrong engine is a killer.

Kill the dying engine. --shut off the fuel and electrics to stop fire and feather the propeller to prevent drag.

Presuming I was right in my selection of what the letters represented, here's my challenge:

Now that Pluto has been demoted from being a planet to being a mere cartoon dog, think of a suitable mnemonic for the order, in increasing distance from the sun, of all the planets of the solar system.

My now obsolete one was My Very Easy Method Just Simply Uses Nine Planets.

Today's Friday Quiz is slightly unusual in that there is no preconceived answer. Best mnemonic to be entered by pub opening time today (circa 18:00 if the barmaid's off her back) wins.

Usual rules apply: Judge's opinion will be biassed, bigotted, incomprehensible, but final. Vaguely caching or navigation related theme for the mnemonic will incur the Judge's favour :laughing:

Winner gets to set the next (conventional) pub quiz question.

Edited by The Forester

Subsequently Googled and found that I'm only half right, so I don't win the coconut.

Dammnable thing is that I've flown to the local airport of the observatory where he did discover Pluto. Methinks I know which cacher is going to win this one 'cos he's the sumbitch who threw a very hard and deeply frozen slushball at me there, from a range of 30 metres, and scored a direct hit!

OK. Keeping with the space theme of the last few questions ...

Five "nations" are currently planning manned lunar missions for the first quarter of the 21st century.

Two of the would be protagonists are obvious - NASA and ESA (European Space Agency) who plan to land independent missions in 2018.

The three other nations plan to land circa 2025 - who are they?

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider

:huh:

2/3 correct! Cheers!

I'm curious now ;) - I asked one of my neighbours who works at the National Space Centre to get that answer. They didn't think there was a third one, except for Russia who are racing to beat everyone :huh::huh:

Seems the NSC is a bit behind the curve. B)

There is no official policy by the Russia Government to go to the moon. Your friend is referring to a company called RKKE which announced it would like to build a lunar base if Mr Putin would give them the money! :rolleyes:

Still one country missing.

I'll give you a clue. Their inaugral mission (unmanned) is due for launch in early 2008 and will be called Chandrayaan-1. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Seasider

India?

(Plus Japan & China from previous answers)

:huh:

2/3 correct! Cheers!

I'm curious now ;) - I asked one of my neighbours who works at the National Space Centre to get that answer. They didn't think there was a third one, except for Russia who are racing to beat everyone :huh::huh:

Seems the NSC is a bit behind the curve. B)

There is no official policy by the Russia Government to go to the moon. Your friend is referring to a company called RKKE which announced it would like to build a lunar base if Mr Putin would give them the money! :rolleyes:

Still one country missing.

I'll give you a clue. Their inaugral mission (unmanned) is due for launch in early 2008 and will be called Chandrayaan-1. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Seasider

India?

(Plus Japan & China from previous answers)

Correct! India have plans for a manned mission. They announced in 2004 a target date of 2015 which was then revised to 2025 and is subject to the performance of their robotic missions (and cash).

Sorry had amended above to give the next question to Alice Band but over to you.

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider

Eak sorry! Yes have been working on the script, it's far from ready for release yet, it's in alpha testing with the GSAK beta testers at the moment, and I've been ironing out some bugs and adding more features as well as running it on several sets of test data. I want it to be as stable and user friendly as possible before letting it fly :rolleyes: It's now over 1300 lines :$

Anyway... a err.... question....

OK, last bug I ironed out was in the "Fastest 100" section, who were the cachers in the UK who set that benchmark?

Eak sorry! Yes have been working on the script, it's far from ready for release yet, it's in alpha testing with the GSAK beta testers at the moment, and I've been ironing out some bugs and adding more features as well as running it on several sets of test data. I want it to be as stable and user friendly as possible before letting it fly :P It's now over 1300 lines :$

Anyway... a err.... question....

OK, last bug I ironed out was in the "Fastest 100" section, who were the cachers in the UK who set that benchmark?

Well - Molinnis Crew, Plymplodders and Wadders equalled the record last week but I can't seem to remember who set it earlier in the year...! :) :)

Cheers!

Seasider