The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Well I've got tired of waiting for shr00m , so until (s)he surfaces again here's one to entertain the troops:

Which departments were on the ground floor [*] of Grace Brothers?

* that's the first floor to our friends across the pond.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Well I've got tired of waiting for shr00m , so until (s)he surfaces again here's one to entertain the troops:

Which departments were on the ground floor [*] of Grace Brothers?

* that's the first floor to our friends across the pond.

Oh dear........... :blink: I've just asked a work collegue and he proceeded to sing the entire signature tune :P I think he's been out here at sea too long.

Any way, the answer is "perfumery,stationery and leather goods,wigs and haberdashery,kitchenware and food. " If you need to know the rest please don't ask as I don't think I could cope with a repeat performance.

Since I'm sure I'm correct B) I'll crack on with my question.

Right then...<clears throat>

On what type of map projection would a great circle be depicted as a straight line?

Ah something familiar at last. Of course Mike+Mary's confusion is easy to understand as a line drawn on a Mercator chart is a Rhomb Line which is very useful when it comes to plotting your course, but a rhomb line course is a much longer route across than a Great Circle. If you want to plot a Great Circle route you need a Gnomic Projection chart, although as the distortions of gnomic projection charts get quite significant beyond a few kilometres you might find it hard to find one, except as an insert of a small port or anchorage on a much larger chart.

You don't think anyone can tell I used to work as a hydrographer? :blink:

Ra - :blink: can't you make them harder Golem

The questions are supposed to be pitched at the level of a pub quiz, the reason that there's only me and you still playing is because most of the questions are too difficult - hence the word association thread! <_<

Oh - DING! :)

Obviously the hints are not obvious enough yet so lets try this:

1. It's topical because of something that happened in Cheshire & the Wirral over the weekend
  2. That thing involved finding 60 somethings
  3. The record breakers go under the monikers of B****r & M******e
  4. The name you are looking for is the B**** M******

Any body got any ideas what other name the Striped-Necked Mongoose goes under? Final hint now:

matt.jpg+ mongoose.jpg

DING !

On the classic London Monopoly board, there are a number of streets (i.e. coloured things that you can build houses/hotels on) that don't actually exist in central London. What are they?

OK, first up is Marlborough Street, then we have Mayfair (although there is a Mayfair place), also Angel Islington, which is a pub, and is not in Islington (or wasn't when the game was created)

Thats the lot!

As an added bit of info, the Old Kent Road (or OKC as we call it) is the only one south of the river.

There is a Marlborough Street in South Kensington by the way....

Checked on our board (well daughters really) and Place Pigalle, Boulevard Saint-Michel & Avenue Mozart all sound like they have an artistic connection, but looking at their location jogged a memory that they are in fact the money makers as they are the most visited "money making" squares on the board (heh heh get out of jail and you've a 6:21 chance of being nabbed) - oh yes Bond St, and Vine St both have Police Stations, so I'm guessing that Marlborough Road has one too. :(

Sorry while very quietly trying to return a half mashed up old Monopoly Board back to its home in the "cupboard under the stairs" had a second thought that maybe its a tobacco conection as Bond Street and Marlboro are both brand names for cancer sticks and of course the one brand named after a vine (the Virginia Creeper) is the ultimate cancer stick the Woodbine.

bond.gifmarlboro_red.gif65d.jpg

Which reminds me: My dogs got no legs. So what do you call him? Woodbine cos I take him out for a drag each night! :(:DB)

Checked on our board (well daughters really) and Place Pigalle, Boulevard Saint-Michel & Avenue Mozart all sound like they have an artistic connection, but looking at their location jogged a memory that they are in fact the money makers as they are the most visited "money making" squares on the board (heh heh get out of jail and you've a 6:21 chance of being nabbed) - oh yes Bond St, and Vine St both have Police Stations, so I'm guessing that Marlborough Road has one too. :(

Funnily enough, I was going to ask about which set was the best for money making. Anyway, to clarify, I'm talking about the UK board, not the French, US, or the starwars one!!! :D

Jango gets half a ding (shall we say Din?) but hasn't got the exact reason. Partly because Bond street isn;t in the orange set, its in the green set...

Check the third street in the orange set and that might help....

Sorry while very quietly trying to return a half mashed up old Monopoly Board back to its home in the "cupboard under the stairs" had a second thought that maybe its a tobacco conection as Bond Street and Marlboro are both brand names for cancer sticks and of course the one brand named after a vine (the Virginia Creeper) is the ultimate cancer stick the Woodbine.

Nice reasoning, but see my post above! Marlboro cigaraettes were actually named after Marlborough Street (Or rather, Great Marloborough Street, just in case you wanted to know. I've a feeling they were made in a factory there originally.... Hmmm. That doesn't sound right - I'll check my books later and get back to you... :(

Meanwhile, back to the quiz!

Well a night sleeping on this one has awakened some rather hazy memories, although I'm sure it has more to do with Ufology than the Physics I learnt at school.

The Coanda effect is a special case of the Venturi Effect (fluid forced through a constriction has to speed up so pressure in the Venturi is actually lower) which everyone familiar with gauging flumes and shoulder held antitank weapons will know about. If you wanted me to describe how this leads to stopper waves or why Karl-Gustaf's are recoilless I'd be fine but the Coanda Effect has got something to do with party ticks involving water and spoons and USAF attempts to build flying saucers in the 1950s - oh the joys of watching Discovery Science. OK I'm winging it now; a Venturi is a physical aperture, but obviously when you use the back of a spoon to trick someone into getting there face sprayed there is only one side of the aperture (bit of mad Environmental Scientist speculation coming up), however if you could create a layer of turbulent flow along the surface of your spoon/1950s USAF flying wing, you would get a boundary effect with the main body of water/air under linear flow and in effect create a Venturi (except one side would be a physical barrier and the other a barrier caused by the physical behaviour of the fluid under different flow regimes) - thereby allowing Fiona to soak unsuspecting mates by “bending” water around corners and generating extra lift for the flying saucer. <_<

Oh dear brain aching, must go and have some breakfast. You're not on the Brainiacs production team Fiona as bending water round corners and soaking people sounds very Dr Bunhead?

{Edited for spelling and grammar}

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

The coanda effect is the way the rotation of the earth affects the way things spiral (like tornados)

It's also reputed to affect the way that water spirals when making a vortex from a container into a pipe (such as the whirlpool you get when emptying the bath - although with my environmental water engineer had on - "BATH! You should be having a shower! (although with my 'Southern' environmental water engineer hat - Shower! You should be washing with a damp sponge!))

Contrary to popular belief (in my opinion and observation), the direction of swirl in a plughole is not governed by the rotation of the earth, but by the hydraulic conditions such as the shape of the basin. These conditions would have much more impact than the rotation of the earth.

edit: just looked it up, and I'm talking bollards again. I was thinking of the Coriolis effect - I was right about it not affecting plugholes though. I now know about the colanda effect, and I had previously observed it.

Edited by NickPick