The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

not cromwell.... not quite

I was always under the impression that it was at least Cromwell's idea for the red coats, and it was in the mid 1600's that they came about.

People believe that they wore red to hide the blood, but it was actually because red dye was cheaper than blue. Just goes to show that right from the beginning the British Government where tight with their money and the French and Americans weren't! :cry:

As an aside: the reason why the Royal Air Force and many other nation's air forces consequently, chose a blue uniform is nothing to do with the blueness of the sky.

At the time that Trenchard was setting up his new air force, based on the assets of the Royal Flying Corps of the army, the Bolshevik revolution was in full swing. The Czar had ordered a huge quantity of blue cloth from English clothmills to clothe his Imperial Guard. As still happens, the British government underwrote the huge order in what today would be called an Export Credit Guarantee.

The Czar was comprehensively gubbed by the Commmies and the new Red Army sure as hell wasn't going to wear Royal blue, so there was no chance that Russia would accept the blue cloth, even if they had been prepared to pay for it.

When Trenchard indented for the cost of providing uniforms for his new Service, he was instructed to make use of the vast quantity of blue barathea for the officers and blue serge for the oiks.

Most of the RAF's "traditions" are in fact hand_me_downs from the days when the RFC was part of the Army. F'rinstance the salute is pure Army, as is the inherited Court Martial procedure and as are the parade ground drills. Many of the traditions, such as always clambering into a single-seat cockpit from the Port side, are pure Cavalry Regiment stuff. The one thing that is pure Royal Air Force is its continued use of Russian army spec uniforms!

Cheers, The Forester

Per Ardua Ad Nauseam

That depends which year you count them, as the Munro Tables keep changing :ph34r:

Indeed they do as they are re-surveyed but I will accept a reasonable figure. :P

Cheers!

Seasider

Resurveying and some rather arbitrary reclassifications. Munro never published definitive criteria for a Munro and Munroists have been arguing over what exactly constitutes a 'top' ever since.

Munrosists share the same obsessive characteristics as geocachers - in fact there are many people who indulge in both hobbies at the same time. I heard a story about someone who climbed all the Munros, then acquired a dog, and did all of them again so that the dog could bag them too. :P

Resurveying and some rather arbitrary reclassifications. Munro never published definitive criteria for a Munro and Munroists have been arguing over what exactly constitutes a 'top' ever since.

Munrosists share the same obsessive characteristics as geocachers - in fact there are many people who indulge in both hobbies at the same time. I heard a story about someone who climbed all the Munros, then acquired a dog, and did all of them again so that the dog could bag them too. :P

Indeed - so what's your answer? :ph34r:

Cheers!

Seasidr

Indeed - so what's your answer? :ph34r:

Cheers!

Seasidr

284, or 277, or any number thereabouts :P

Since I have recently returned from Portugal, here is a topical question:

In which Algarve town is there a statue of Prince Henry the Navigator who, although he never left Portugal, funded many voyages of discovery and in particular hoped to find a route around Africa to the Indies? Unfortunately sailors did not succeed in this quest until after his death.

Since I have recently returned from Portugal, here is a topical question:

In which Algarve town is there a statue of Prince Henry the Navigator who, although he never left Portugal, funded many voyages of discovery and in particular hoped to find a route around Africa to the Indies? Unfortunately sailors did not succeed in this quest until after his death.

that would be *lagos*

B. :ph34r:

Edited by bobuk

OK, I hope this is easier than some of my previous ones.

What's the largest number of matches that a team taking part in the current World Cup, could lose? You have to explain how you arrived at your answer. (Assume we're starting right at the beginning of the finals.)

OK, I hope this is easier than some of my previous ones.

What's the largest number of matches that a team taking part in the current World Cup, could lose? You have to explain how you arrived at your answer. (Assume we're starting right at the beginning of the finals.)

They could win one, lose 2 in the knockout stage & if everyone else in their group did the same they could go through on goal difference, then play through to the semis and lose, then lose in the 3rd - 4th place playoff.

M.

They could win one, lose 2 in the knockout stage & if everyone else in their group did the same they could go through on goal difference, then play through to the semis and lose, then lose in the 3rd - 4th place playoff.

I couldn't have bet it putter myself! Next!

Which breed of horse can all trace their male lines back to a stallion called "Crisp's Horse of Ufford"?

BTW I'm off for an early night, so mark your own work, and if you think you got it right jump in with the next question BUT NO CHEATING!

Edited by MartyBartfast