The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

In a valiant attempt to keep this on topic, I offer the following question

How many miles above the Earth is the orbit of the NavStar satellites on which we depend for our tupperware hunting? (to within, say, 500 miles)

And for a bonus, what's the largest satellite currently orbitting the Earth?

(Edit, sorry Golem, didn't see your question. Something Tolkien-esque?)

Edited by lordelph

Did you get an answer the the Queens Park Rangers question, btw Glasgow Rangers were finalists in the FA cup some time in the 1890s.

Well not really. I made a wild a** guess and the quizzer responded. Not knowing (or really wanting to know to be honest) anything at all about football I wasn't sure wether the answer was contained in his post or not. However, he suggested I pose a question as he was on his way out so that's where we are. :D:):D

Martin

Yep that's right, was so appalled at the anglocentric answers that I went stumbling around doing a virtual hunt of archived caches in East Anglia. Found some great caches with cryptic notes as to why they were archived but mysteriously discovered they were still live in a parallel geocaching miniverse apart from some which are alive in a parallel geocaching microverse. This was all great fun until my googling ended me in a planet where the Humans had been supplanted by Apes who were placing caches full of torches and other tat, except for some which were filled with CD software give aways.

Just emerging rattling, emitting mighty yelps, languidly oozing viscous ectoplasm rose obloquies, before I narcotised. ( :cry: didn't notice me slipping that one in :D ) Oh that reminds me did you want a question, ... well ... mhh ..mhh .. Ah

What's the connection between Edwinstowe, the creator of the Gaia theory and the comedian Terry Scott? No maybe we shouldn't go there.

Oh and Cardiff City were the only other no Anglos to reach the FA Cup final (1925 & 1927 when they won).

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

In other news, Google today announced the purchase of Forester's brain. "We needed a network over 20,000 computers to run our main search engine", reported Sergey Brin, co-founder of Google. "Now we just need the grey goo in this jar". Dr. Michael Hfuhruhurr, who performed the extraction using his cranial screw top technique was equally jubilant, quoting his favorite poem "O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, anoint my head, anointy-nointy".

Nexxxxxxxt question Mr Forester sir, you were pretty much bang on. 10,988 nautical miles said my source.

:cry::):D:D

Edited by lordelph

I'm confident that I got his Lordship's question right, so here's mine:

What is the name of Earth's second largest satellite?

Bonus for being able to pronounce it or spell it phonetically.

Ah I think I know this....

cruithne?

cruithe?

I remember it has a dadgum strange orbit :cry:

Hope this doesn't mean my brain has wind up in jar too.

Thinking about it, there's a scene where they look down onto the city from a skyscraper. On account of being built on the San Andreas fault, there's nothing that tall in SF. It is a northern city though so my second guess is Chicago

Think you are right SP as I forgot about the Art gallery bit which is Chicago. :cry:

My turn again I guess. "How many beans make five?" is a quote from what programme?

If its anything to do with that dreadful Rowan Atkinson programme I'm off to bed! :)

No, that would be "How many blue beans make five?" :cry:

My turn again I guess. "How many beans make five?" is a quote from what programme?

It's probably something with Russel Hart Davies trying to explain probability theory as I'm sure its one of those Schrödinger's cat things. So if I say five then it may not be five but if I do not give a definite answer it could be five. Anyway on that thought it is time for bed. :cry:

The Golem was in The Hobbit ?? :)

civilised

No The Golem is a novel by Isaac Beshevis Singer. The actual Golem is a magical creature of Yiddish mythology who was created by a Rabbi to protect the Jewish people in medieval times. He was made from clay and brought to life using Cabalistic powers. So the message is buy those Madonna albums or expect a giant clay man speaking Yiddish to turn up at your front door, and he wont be bringing blinis and gefilte fish, my boy! ;):huh:

The Golem was in The Hobbit ?? :)

civilised

No The Golem is a novel by Isaac Beshevis Singer. The actual Golem is a magical creature of Yiddish mythology who was created by a Rabbi to protect the Jewish people in medieval times. He was made from clay and brought to life using Cabalistic powers. So the message is buy those Madonna albums or expect a giant clay man speaking Yiddish to turn up at your front door, and he wont be bringing blinis and gefilte fish, my boy! :);)

I refer you to my previous answer ;)

I was attempting, unsuccesfully, to be facetious :huh:

And by the way - did you know that facetious, as a word, contains all the English vowels in the correct order ?

Is there another one ? Or is that a question for another day ?

civilised

Think classic films - of the last 30 years approx - with a crime background - with some decent actors :)

civilised

In that case it must be John Hurt's tortured drunk Billy Irvine in "Heaven's Gate". Having said that it sounds a bit too film noire for Michael Chimino.

I know it's not Millers Crossing which leaves a handfull of others, can't see it being Chinatown which leaves Mulholland Drive, LA Confidential and Road to Perdition. Mind you it could be Solaris, but is that crime? ;)

Think classic films - of the last 30 years approx - with a crime background - with some decent actors :)

civilised

In that case it must be John Hurt's tortured drunk Billy Irvine in "Heaven's Gate". Having said that it sounds a bit too film noire for Michael Chimino.

I know it's not Millers Crossing which leaves a handfull of others, can't see it being Chinatown which leaves Mulholland Drive, LA Confidential and Road to Perdition. Mind you it could be Solaris, but is that crime? ;)

I can see I've been a bit cruel here - does Lee Strasberg help at all ?

civilised

And by the way - did you know that facetious, as a word, contains all the English vowels in the correct order ?

civilised

;):):huh: Not so hot on word puzzles but I do know that rhythm contains only consonants, unless of course you count y as a vowel - but then that gives us 6 vowels, then again there were 10 vowel characters in the Anglo Saxon runic futhorc so then we have to find a word with o, u, i, eo, e, oe, a, ae, io & ea in that order. But then of course there are 20 vowel sounds in modern English ... oh dear my brain hurts ;):):huh:

Only kiddingcivilised and before you ask the rune thing is to do with a revamped cache, and not mine (I was only doing some research) so its not a promo to attract people to a certain quay in North Norfolk. :(:o;)

civilised

;):):huh: Not so hot on word puzzles but I do know that rhythm contains only consonants, unless of course you count y as a vowel - but then that gives us 6 vowels, then again there were 10 vowel characters in the Anglo Saxon runic futhorc so then we have to find a word with o, u, i, eo, e, oe, a, ae, io & ea in that order. But then of course there are 20 vowel sounds in modern English ... oh dear my brain hurts ;):):huh:

Only kiddingcivilised and before you ask the rune thing is to do with a revamped cache, and not mine (I was only doing some research) so its not a promo to attract people to a certain quay in North Norfolk. :):o:angry:

I'm lost - do they speak a different language in East Anglia - or is it proximity to the Queen perhaps :(

Anyway, answer the question - I've been up a long time - need my bed now ;)

civilised