The All New Groundspeak Uk Pub Quiz!

Exxon Chevron BP Shell

What is the name of the sister of the founder of Shell.

Hint: her name is to be seen in the High Street of most major UK towns.

The other Seven Sisters are Standard Oil of California, Exxon, Texaco, BP, Mobil and Gulf Oil. Of these the only one seen on most of our High Streets would have to be BP "Beyond petroleum" LOL! :P

BP "Beyond petroleum" LOL!
I must agree with the laugh here. When the new logo popped up overnight on my BP network PC I really cringed. However, they have some serious investments these days in alternative energy sources. (and not the Bush/Cheney alternatives that involve taking over the whole Middle East)

Martin

Not Dorothy.

Not Disting or Seesta or DisOoman!

Sorry must be my Scottish Accent, by BP I meant Brit-ish Pet-roll-ee-um not Disting, Seesta or disOoman. :P

BP is ther only one the Seven Sisters (apart from Shell) to be seen on the High Street of most major UK towns.

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

Not one of the seven sisters: a sister of the brothers who founded Shell.

Think of what the original family business was before they went into the oil business. Actually, it's supposedly what gave the founder the inspiration for the name of the Company and for the name of their first tanker and for the logo.

The origin of the brand name Shell is linked to the origins of The "Shell" Transport and Trading Company. In 1833, the founder's father, also Marcus Samuel, founded an import business to sell seashells to London collectors. When collecting seashell specimens in the Caspian Sea area in 1892, the younger Marcus Samuel realised there was potential in exporting lamp oil from the region and commissioned the world's first purpose built oil tanker, the Murex, to enter this market. By 1907 the company had a fleet of oil tankers.

The Shell emblem is one of the most familiar commercial symbols in the world. Known as the "Pecten" after the sea shell, the giant scallop, Pecten maximus, on which its design is based

The origin of the brand name Shell is linked to the origins of The "Shell" Transport and Trading Company. In 1833, the founder's father, also Marcus Samuel, founded an import business to sell seashells to London collectors. When collecting seashell specimens in the Caspian Sea area in 1892, the younger Marcus Samuel realised there was potential in exporting lamp oil from the region and commissioned the world's first purpose built oil tanker, the Murex, to enter this market. By 1907 the company had a fleet of oil tankers.

The Shell emblem is one of the most familiar commercial symbols in the world. Known as the "Pecten" after the sea shell, the giant scallop, Pecten maximus, on which its design is based

OK - but what's his sister's name ? :P

civilised

Which founding member of the English Football League now play in Scotland?

HINT - They have played in both English & Scottish Cup Finals and have a resolutely amateur stance. In the 1930s they played at the largest football ground in the world. They do not play at Selhurst Park.

Edited by Jango & Boba Fett

Manchester United (my stock answer for all football questions)

Ahh but me thinks I have heard a bit about Gretna lately in the news. That would fit as it's a border town and they are a small team ....

I'll guess at Gretna (don't know their handle)

Edited by Team Maddie UK

Manchester United (my stock answer for all football questions)

Ahh but me thinks I have heard a bit about Gretna lately in the news. That would fit as it's a border town and they are a small team ....

I'll guess at Gretna (don't know their handle)

BONG!!! Not really close enough but I'm off out and when did Berwick Rangers or Gretna ever play in an FA Cup Final; though at one time each team did play on the wrong side of the border (and of course Berwick still do - unless of course you come from Berwick in which case the comment is "what border?").

The answer is the team that still play at Hampden, won the Scottish Cup in 1874, 1875, 1876, 1880, 1881, 1882, 1884, 1886, 1890, 1893, were runners up to Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup finals of 1884 & 1885 and won the FA Charity Shield in 1899. In fact they didn't even concede a goal in their first 8 years of league football. Not even Manchester United can better those stats.

Over to you then Team Maddie UK :ph34r:

Oh allright then...

In the 19th century, Bovril used to advertise itself as one of 'the two infallible powers'; who was the other?

Easy, well at least it was easy for my mate at work :ph34r:

"We" reckon it is the Pope.

Edited by Nediam

OK, next question:-

Complete the following number sequence.....

3, 3, 5, 4, 4, 3, 5, 5, 4, "BLANK"

3... working on the basis of the number of letters in the spelling of the words "one", "two", etc.

DING!!! :ph34r:

Over to you...

Did you get an answer the the Queens Park Rangers question, btw Glasgow Rangers were finalists in the FA cup some time in the 1890s.

Well not really. I made a wild a** guess and the quizzer responded. Not knowing (or really wanting to know to be honest) anything at all about football I wasn't sure wether the answer was contained in his post or not. However, he suggested I pose a question as he was on his way out so that's where we are. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Martin

DING DING

Well done

A Mongolian man has broken the world record for being the tallest man alive. Xi Shun, age 54, from the remote region of Inner Mongolia, was recently measured at 7-feet, 8.95-inches (2-meters, 36.1-centimeters). The current holder of the Guinness World record for the tallest living man, Radhouane Charbib, is 7-feet, 8.9 inches, so Xi Shun is just 0.05 inches taller! Charbib has held the record since 1999.

The new record-holder's mother is only 5-feet, 2-inches tall, while his father is 5-feet, 10-inches in height. According to reports, the new record-holder was a normal height for his age until his mid-teens. At that time he shot up after reaching the age of 16. Doctors have confirmed that his growth was natural, and not the result of a condition such as gigantism, which is caused by too much growth hormone.

A spokesperson for the Guinness World Records stated that to find such a man alive and healthy is a "monumental occasion in record-breaking history."

The tallest man to ever to live, however, was Robert Wadlow. He measured in at a staggering 8-feet, 11.1-inches tall. Born in Alton, Illinois, in 1918, Wadlow was already 7-feet, 4-inches by the age of 13. This earned him the title of the world's biggest Boy Scout.