150 Th Anniversary Event

GEO*Trailblazer 1

In response to my log note on this event:

GCVW4Q 150TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE 6TH PRINCIPAL MERIDIAN

I was doing a little teaching about GOOGLE EARTH to a fellow geocacher last night while I was doing a search at the first stop of our vacation this year I found this cache.

Thought many of you here might find it interesting.

Response:

HELLO!

(impressive bio, I'm a land surveyor so I am even more impressed)

You offered information on releasing geocoins at the 150th Anniv/CITO event? I am interested. My name is Ernie Cantu. I am the one who put KSLS on Geocaching.com (and NSPS, too, for a project in the works). I am interested in doing what it takes to have this event turn out to be spectacular.

I am from Belle Plaine, about a half-hour south of Wichita, Kansas, but I will be up at the site the day before the event to help get things organized.

If you could snail mail them to me, I could make sure they get to the event to get passed around to everyone there. If you would like, I can make sure I get them back at the end of the event and send them back to you. I would even wait until the event to log mine, that way geocachers would "find" the geocoins "in the hands of you" at the event and not earlier.

P.S. I'm sending a news release to the Washington County News for early promotion of the event. Here's a copy:

- - -

The Kansas Society of Land Surveyors (KSLS) is hosting the 150th Anniversary Celebration of the Sixth Principal Meridian on June 10, 2006, at a major surveying monument that is one mile west and one mile north of the town of Mahaska. This event is being promoted in multiple states.

This is an opportunity to see the place that all land descriptions use as the initial reference point for the states of Kansas, Nebraska, and parts of South Dakota, Wyoming and Colorado. The festivities will start at 9:00 A.M. at the northeast corner of Washington County on the Kansas-Nebraska border with speeches about history and the commencement of some surveying games. There is no charge for learning about the history. At 10:00 A.M., the celebration moves to the town of Mahaska.

As a joint venture, GeoCaching.com will have what is called a "Cache In - Trash Out" event for the same celebration. Geocachers will show up to do some geocaching in the area and also bring trash bags to help police the area to promote the environmental awareness common to geocachers. Geocachers will bring hand-held GPS receivers. Surveyors will bring some super high-tech GPS equipment as well as some historical measuring devices used back in the 1800s.

KSLS is planning the following activities:

KSLS (Mr. Cam Howell) will have a chaining crew re-enactment at the site.

The Oregon Trail Association will provide wagons and horses for color. Pony Express will have a re-enactment with an actual mail handoff.

Short speeches and observe the site-travel to Mahaska, KS. Geocaching will be encouraged in the immediate area.

Lunch at the community center for $7.50.

Surprise visit from Surveyor General John Calhoun, circa 1856.

Steve Brosemer of Kansas and Jerry Penry of Nebraska will have a 1.5 hour history of the 6th P.M. and the Baseline.

Point of Beginning Magazine has expressed an interest in publishing an article about the event.

At a similar event last year, over 200 people converged on the town of Liberty, Nebraska, population 74. We are expecting over 300 people to show up for the event at Mahaska.

For additional information, visit these links:

KSLS - http://www.ksls.com/2006/2006_celebration.htm

Geocaching.com - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...67-15f170c3978e

Point of Beginning Magazine - http://www.pobonline.com

Previous event by Liberty, Nebraska http://www.ksls.com/2005/1GMEBRO.pdf