Garmin Etrex Vista And Mapsource Software Problems

Howdy,

I just bought myself a new Etrex Vista and Mapsource Metroguide. My computer didn’t have a serial port so I bought a serial to UBS adaptor cable.

The drivers installed automatically when I connected the GPS to the computer. Also, under the device manager a new port is added when I connect the GPS in this manner.

My problem is I can’t for the life of me get the Mapsource software to recognize that the GPS is connected. I’ve also tried running the Garmin Webupdater but I get the error “Some devices were found, however none have the necessary capabilities. Please make sure your GPS is on and the interface is set to ‘garmin’ or ‘host’. My interface is set to “garmin’ as there is no ‘host’ option.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

-Cap’n Cache

Hi everyone,

Brand new to GPS world, I got a Venture Cx and when I tried to connect to computer, I ran into problems. I did the politically correct thing by searching and searching for answers and I found that this post from Capn Cache has the exact same problem I have, but unfortunately no one replied. Can anybody help with this?

Would be very much appreciated! Dave