Updated Coordinates

pppingme

When an owner updates the coordinates for their cache, there is a log entry showing the new coordinates. I would like to see the log entry text also contain the old coordinates, that way, on ones I haven't found, it gives me an idea of how far off I was before I go look again. The problem now is the old coordinates are wiped and I have no reference to look at. I would just like the old coordinates to be part of the log.

If I understand you correctly, you are assuming the only reason for updating coordinates is that the original ones were wrong. While that may be true in some cases, I think the vast majority of updated coordinates are because the physical cache container was moved slightly. Thus, nothing to do with how close you were on a previous hunt. It is simply in a brand new location and you won't know how close you may have been to its old location.

The reviewers have had a similar discussion. I think the "fix" may be to have a log entry that occurs when the listing is published - perhaps the publish log itself. That way for historical purposes you can see the first publish log to see the original coordinates.

The only concern I have at this point is to make sure that if the cache is listed as subscriber-only that the log entry for publishing the listing isn't visible by non premium members. This is why the feature hasn't been implemented yet. But thanks for the request! I'll make sure I bump the priority of this feature.

The reviewers have had a similar discussion. I think the "fix" may be to have a log entry that occurs when the listing is published - perhaps the publish log itself. That way for historical purposes you can see the first publish log to see the original coordinates.

The only concern I have at this point is to make sure that if the cache is listed as subscriber-only that the log entry for publishing the listing isn't visible by non premium members. This is why the feature hasn't been implemented yet. But thanks for the request! I'll make sure I bump the priority of this feature.

Aren't subscriber-only caches completely unreadable by non-premium members? I don't think you can see anything about these caches if you aren't a premium member -- writeup, coords, logs, etc.

I think the issue you're getting at is probably more the ability to learn the coordinates from the logs without having to log in at all. (Premium or not). On non-subscriber-only caches, if you aren't logged in, you can't see the coords, but you can read the logs. But, this is an issue regardless since anyone who posts a log and attaches a waypoint to it on a non-subscriber cache can already have that info read -- frequently used to post update coords by finders who disagree from the owner's posted values.

What about those insta-notify messages that say "So and So published XWZ cache". I think Jeremy's talking about making sure that MO caches at the time of publication don't spew the coordinates to Insta-notify, but then again, Insta-notify is a MO feature, right?

Aren't subscriber-only caches completely unreadable by non-premium members? I don't think you can see anything about these caches if you aren't a premium member -- writeup, coords, logs, etc.

Direct log entry links are not completely unreadable.