Garmin Mapsource Usa Topo

I'm a newbie to geocaching (got my GPSr about 3 weeks ago and MapSource City Navigator less than 2 weeks ago). Now I'm contemplating adding MapSource USA TOPO to my toolset. There are all sorts of rumors that a new version (v8) of City Navigator will be announced before the end of this month, making me almost wish I'd waited to buy the new version of that software.

Does anyone know when the latest edition of USA TOPO came out, and/or have any idea when the next version is likely to be released? This will help me figure out whether to go ahead and buy now, or wait for the next version to come out.

--Larry

Aren't the topo maps something like 30 years old? Topography may not change much in a few decades, but if you want accurate roads then you should be getting one of the road map cds.

Your best bet for a good topo map is to roll your own and combine it with one of the garmin road maps using the instructions in one of the threads on the first page here.

Edited by ejnewman

Thanks for the suggestions, ejnewman. However, one must assume that, since Garmin continues to occasionally release new versions of the software, something (the maps, the software, or hopefully both) is improving from one release to the next. If I'm going to shell out the money, I might as well try to get the latest version.

Also, I want to be able to toggle between my City Navigator (street-level) maps (which I already use) and topographical maps on my GPSr. I have plenty of paper maps in my vehicle as it is; I want something I can carry in my GPSr.

I'd still like to know when the most recent version of MapSource USA TOPO was released, and whether, based on past history, a new version could be coming soon. Anyone?

--Larry

US Topo - Alaska 3.01 ©Garmin corporation 1995-2002

US Topo - East 2.01 ©Garmin corporation 1995-2002

US Topo - Hawaii 3.01 ©Garmin corporation 1995-2002

US Topo - West 2.01 ©Garmin corporation 1995-2002

They base the maps on USGS 1:100K maps, which, as noted above, are not the latest when it comes to man-made features. I'm not aware of any move by the USGS or Garmin to update these any time soon.

On toggling between maps, see question 9 of the Map Section of the FAQ.

They base the maps on USGS 1:100K maps, which, as noted above, are not the latest when it comes to man-made features. I'm not aware of any move by the USGS or Garmin to update these any time soon.

On toggling between maps, see question 9 of the Map Section of the FAQ.

Thanks for that information. Just for the record, I'd learned how to toggle between maps on the GPSr, I'm hoping to get a second set of maps (not including the basemap) to toggle to. :laughing:

I'm specifically looking to purchase Garmin's MapSource United States TOPO software (click the link to see the description on the Garmin Web site). From their description, it covers all of the United States including Alaska and Hawaii. It may well be as old (2002) as the software Sputnik 57 so kindly provided information about, but I'd like, if possible, to get information about the specific package I've been looking at. If there are reasons (besides age of the data) why I shouldn't bother to buy this package, I'd appreciate knowing that, too. Alternatively, is anyone using it and liking it?

Thanks,

--Larry

I'm specifically looking to purchase Garmin's MapSource United States TOPO software (click the link to see the description on the Garmin Web site). From their description, it covers all of the United States including Alaska and Hawaii. It may well be as old (2002) as the software Sputnik 57 so kindly provided information about, but I'd like, if possible, to get information about the specific package I've been looking at. If there are reasons (besides age of the data) why I shouldn't bother to buy this package, I'd appreciate knowing that, too. Alternatively, is anyone using it and liking it?

Thanks,

--Larry

I have the version you are talking about above. The drawbacks are as people have already mentioned. They are 1-100k maps and based up USGS maps from 30 years ago. The details in these maps leave a lot to be desired in comparison to the Topo National Parks 1-24K maps. The roll your own recommendation is one that I have heard over and over again when I have asked your same question.

For the amount of time it will take me to create my own maps, I am tempted to purchase the 24K series from Garmin as those will cover a significant number of quads that I am interested in. the East version of the National Parks 24K has a large part of New England and the entire Appalachian Trail covered and those are two of the areas I am most interested in. You might want to check the web site and see if the areas you are looking for might be in it as well.

The dates and release numbers provided above by Sputnik *are* for the latest version of Garmin's MapSource US Topo. It comes as a set of three CDs: West, East, and Alaska/Hawaii. I find it to be a useful set of maps for looking at the terrain and natural features since those don't change much in a few decades, but I generally recommend that it only be a supplemental purchase after getting one of the street map products like CitySelect/Navigator or MetroGuide. As Sputnik indicated, the US Topo maps are based on USGS 1:100,000 series maps and these are very dated with regard to man-made features. The old high school in my hometown is still shown in the location where it burned down in the late '60s and the two schools that were built to replace it are not shown. Road data is frequently just as dated. Although not nearly as detailed as the USGS1:24000 series, I've found the contour lines and other natural features that are shown to be quite accurate. Note that this 1:100,000 series is based on metric measurements and the contour spacing is in meters. If you have your GPS set to show altitudes in feet then the contour lines appear at somewhat unusual numbers such as 164', 328', 492', etc.

An alternative to purchase of these maps is to create 'transparent' contour line maps that can be displayed as an overlay on the CityNavigator maps you already have in your GPS. That way you get much more up-to-date road and other feature information combined with the terrain information, but it does involve quite a few steps to create such maps. Here's a site that describes the process:

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

Not to hijack the thread, but is MapSource TOPO the best option for my Garmin for viewing what I call "ranch roads"? I have experienced times in the field where a two-track road is on there, and other times when it is not, and still other times where one shows up on the map but it is physically not there. Are there any other software programs I should try that show these dirt roads off the beaten path? mapsource topo is the only one I have ever tried.

OK, thanks, now I understand. First, my apologies to Sputnik 57. I wasn't aware that the US Topo package included three CDs, and was puzzled as to the connection between my question and the four items he listed in his response.

To dhbaird: Thanks for recommending the Topo National Parks map software. I'll look into this possibility; however, almost none of my travels take me anywhere near any national parks, other than Cuyahoga Valley on rare occasions (and I will investigate the package that includes that park).

I'm still leaning toward buying a copy of the United States Topo software. The data may be old, and not particularly detailed, but combined with my existing copy of City Navigator it might still meet my needs. I'm mainly interested in getting an idea of the lay of the land, as opposed to close-up details.

In the meantime, I'll also check into creating my own contour line maps for the areas I plan on visiting.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your knowledge!

--Larry

On Garmin's website you can download the lates software version for MapSource TOPO (It is the same for all MapSource versions). So you can get the latest "software" for free and use it with the maps which might be as old as the hills (Hmmm the hills are what we need)

I just downloaded the latest version (6.10.2) and it works fine with my CDs which say version 3.02 on them.

I am going to load the maps onto micro SD cards and have the entire TOPO US for my use by simply changing my CD card in my GPSMap 76Cx

So far I have most of the Great Lakes region loaded onto the 128 MB card that came with my unit (brand new yesterday, and I love Garmin's x series)

On Garmin's website you can download the lates software version for MapSource TOPO (It is the same for all MapSource versions). So you can get the latest "software" for free and use it with the maps which might be as old as the hills (Hmmm the hills are what we need)

I just downloaded the latest version (6.10.2) and it works fine with my CDs which say version 3.02 on them.

I am going to load the maps onto micro SD cards and have the entire TOPO US for my use by simply changing my CD card in my GPSMap 76Cx

So far I have most of the Great Lakes region loaded onto the 128 MB card that came with my unit (brand new yesterday, and I love Garmin's x series)

Just to clarify, you are not actually downloading the latest version of the MAPS. You are downloading the latest version of MapSource--the software engine that allows you to view and use the maps. The maps do not change with MapSource updates.

To the OPs question--I use topo with City Select in my 60cs and I love it. The two complement each other. City Select gets you there and Topo has enough trails and Ranch Roads on it to get you bach into the country.

Topo does have some Ranch and two rut roads on it. Use the Map viewer on the Garmin site to see if it has the ones you are looking for.

I just received some paper maps from the USGS and the date on them is 1968 with a photorevision on 1985. I don't know how often the USGS updates the map data but I would hope that they realize that a lot of surface features changes have occurred since 1968.

I just received some paper maps from the USGS and the date on them is 1968 with a photorevision on 1985. I don't know how often the USGS updates the map data but I would hope that they realize that a lot of surface features changes have occurred since 1968.

Unfortunately, updates cost money and the USGS isn't exactly rolling in dough.