What To Do About Tb Not In The Cache When Listed?

Team 5150

What is the accepted action to take when the TB listed on the cache page are not in the cache? I've found quite a few where the page lists such and such TB or coin and when you get to the cache it's empty. I've told the TB/coin owners about it and one responded that she already knew that it was gone and was hoping someone would log it someday the other, I guess, is too busy out trying to get FTF's to respond. I think it's kind of irresponsible to leave the cache page listing the TB/coin as being there when you know that it's not. What if someone were going to the cache specifically to rescue the TB? I'm kinda new to this. Isn't there a way for the owner of the cache or TB to delete it from the listing? Shouldn't missing TB's be cleared from the cache page? Maybe I'm just too anal? :unsure:

Edited by Team 5150

I post a note on the bug:

"Unfortunately this bug has been confirmed as being removed from the cache but never logged.

Could it be removed from the cache listing so people aren't expecting to find the bug?

There is an option to 'mark bug as missing' in the pull down menu that reads 'recalculate distance'. This will place the bug into an unknown location. It can be pulled back out if the bug is returned. Thanks."

If after a month the bug is still listed in the cache, I send a note to the cache owner asking them to remove it.

If that doesn't work, send an email to the TB forum moderator Eartha.

Groundspeak, in their infinite wisdom, has given me the ability to mark Bugs missing when no other options are working. I first check the bug page, the logs of the last known bug/coin holder on that cache and other caches found around the same time, the logs in the cache and when I see it is truly missing, I click the "Mark as Missing" button. If the bug reappears eventually it can simply be grabbed and put back into circulation without adding untrue mileage to it.

Groundspeak, in their infinite wisdom, has given me the ability to mark Bugs missing when no other options are working. I first check the bug page, the logs of the last known bug/coin holder on that cache and other caches found around the same time, the logs in the cache and when I see it is truly missing, I click the "Mark as Missing" button. If the bug reappears eventually it can simply be grabbed and put back into circulation without adding untrue mileage to it.

It would be handy if there was a "report" as missing function that would give you or whever needed to get it a notice.

The first course of action is to email the TB owner as i think they can mark them as missing and they have an active interest in their bug. Cache owners also have the ability though they don't really have an active interest in someone elses bug and they may or may not have the time to verify the missing bug etc.

From a thread covering the same topic.

Hmmmmm, have you thought of asking me? I have that power to mark them missing, IF they are truly missing. I did it with a long list the other day. Short lists are preferrable. :laughing:

First I have to check each bug page and read the logs on the cache page to see if I can track them back to where they went missing and to verify that someone has noted on the cache page that the bug is indeed missing. I have to check how acitve the owner is, and if someone has contacted them first. I do not mark them missing just because someone tells me they are. So please, don't send me lists hundreds of missing bugs. The first step is to contact the cache owner, or the TB owner, to ask them to mark it missing. If they haven't been active in a long time, they should be put on the list. I'll be happy to help as time allows. That's what we're here for.

I always mention that the travel bug is missing from the cache in my cache log, as well as go to the travel bug page and 'write note' in the travel bug's log indicating it is missing from the cache it was last dropped into. (Note that you do not need the dog tag number to write a note for a travel bug!)

That way, hopefully people going to look for the cache will see my note in the cache logs and know the bug isn't there, as well as people watching the bug will see my note in the bug's logs as well. I'd like to think the owners of the cache and the bug would then be racing each other to move it to an unknown location, but sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case.

Edited by kelly@9

I always mention that the travel bug is missing from the cache in my cache log, as well as go to the travel bug page and 'write note' in the travel bug's log indicating it is missing from the cache it was last dropped into. (Note that you do not need the dog tag number to write a note for a travel bug!)

That way, hopefully people going to look for the cache will see my note in the cache logs and know the bug isn't there, as well as people watching the bug will see my note in the bug's logs as well. I'd like to think the owners of the cache and the bug would then be racing each other to move it to an unknown location, but sadly, this doesn't seem to be the case.

I really think part of the problem is that people aren't aware that they can put it in an unknown location or how to move it.

Including instructions in the log seems to increase the odds of the owner moving it.