New Up And Running Geocaching Youth Website!

Hey after a couple of days the geocaching youth website is finaly finshed or is it all i ask know is to hear what you think and what i should add to the site to make it better!!

The link is --------> Geocaching Youth Website

Cheerz, DRC

Well done.

Nice layout and not too cluttered.

I'm not too keen on the black text with the red background, I find it hard to read.

:unsure:

Hey after a couple of days the geocaching youth website is finaly finshed or is it all i ask know is to hear what you think and what i should add to the site to make it better!!

The link is --------> Geocaching Youth Website

Cheerz, DRC

Hi DRC, I think you have done a fabulous job. You should congratulate yourself. You asked how your site could be made better, well i have looked at it and found just a few minor grammatical mistakes. So if you would permit me, here is what i suggest. I will paste your original entry first then underneath put the altered version.

1. Welcome to geocaching youth the website made especially for the youth of geocaching no not the adults us the kids!!

Welcome to Geocaching Youth the website made especially for the youth of Geocaching.

No, not the adults, us the kids!!

2. Geocaching Youth was made for the youth of geocaching so you can talk and discuss about geocaching and what it is like for you and discuss the issues like the grown ups can, So know you can discuss geocaching and your views on it, Now you can feel like you can play your part in geocaching by having discussions with geocaching youth all around the world.

Geocaching Youth was made for you. So you can talk and discuss about Geocaching and what it is like for you. You can discuss the issues like the grown ups can. Now you can play your part in Geocaching by having discussions with Geocaching Youth all around the world.

3. But this is nothing like Geocaching.com no this site will include Games, Quizzes, Chat Rooms, Forums and much much more making your time on this site more fun and enjoyable, Making are geocaching experience much more fun!!

But this is nothing like Geocaching.com. No, this site will include Games, Quizzes, Chat Rooms, Forums and much much more making your time on this site fun and enjoyable. Making your Geocaching experience a lot more fun!!

4.If you came across this website by accident then great join in on the fun, this website is about Geocaching a sport for GPSr users you could call it a hi-tech treasure hunt which is played by People all over the world so why don't you join in its a bundle of fun honest!

If you came across this website by accident then great. Join in on the fun. This website is about Geocaching. This is a sport for GPSr users. You could call it a hi-tech treasure hunt which is played by people all over the world. So why don't you join in, its a bundle of fun, honest!

5. On your FAQ page under the heading of How much does a GPS cost.....It is stated in dollars. As this is a Multi-national sport that is probably correct but it is your site and as such it should state the price in Pounds also. I would suggest adding a price in GBP. But dont take out the dollars.

6. Check your email address on the Contact page. I see it as Da Ruber Chicken@hotmail.co.uk I dont think the spelling is right.

Ok DRC, I will continue looking, but be proud of what you have done.

Red Squadron.............John & Ann

Edited by johnzissler

"Putting you into Youth"

Excuse me while I wipe the coffee from my monitor :o:unsure:

You might want to rethink that, though it is laugh-out-loud funny. Maybe the site could feature an endorsement from Gary Glitter?

Here's some suggestions:

Geocaching Youth - Why let adults have all the fun

Geocaching Youth - Telling the grown ups to get lost

Geocaching Youth - Using GPS to evade authority figures since 2006

152.4cm? I'd round it down to 150cm I guess, to keep things simple...

Nice to be called a youth 'cos of my petite size, thanks for the compliment SP! :o

Should that not be "Nice to be called a PORG 'cos of my petite size"

Met you remember!!!! - Youth wasnt the first word that sprung to mind????

:unsure:

Looks good!

My only concern would be the chat room and the potential for it to attract unwelcome types (not just geocachers!). Be careful that you don't get held responsible as the site manager.

Apart from that it's a great idea and well carried out...well done!

Jason!!!! Rockin' dude. Really pleased to see you get this off the ground - nice to see so many comments (apart from the longer ones which I really couldnt be bothered to read). Take on board those bits you want to, and ignore the bits you want to. At the end of the day, this is your project. Trust your instincts and go with them. Let your personality shine through mate and you'll make a huge success of it. Make sure you email the Cache Hopper yoofs and tell them where it's at! You are ace and don't forget it! Liane :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Edited: to correct spelling, grammar and typos which is really totally unimportant and I don't know why I did it!!!

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

Well done Jason, I expect to see an article on caching with Moote, and his insane driving to get a FTF :D

Aah! so that's how you got the English and Welsh Counties so fast! :D:D

Anyway, back on topic (sorry DRC for straying :D ), your site is looking well good. I'm also impressed with how quickly you got it set up. Hope it catches on well with the Yoof's. I can see that the Game section is gonna keep me busy at "work" tomorrow :D

HIYA JAY

i think it looks fab, very well done!!!

one quick question though...

when i went to register to look through the forums i had to sign to say i was exactly 13 or over 13, now this isnt going to work for the geocaching "youth" some of whom will be under 13

i was telling daniel about your site earlier on, and he was quite happy that there would be a site for geocaching kids, but he is only 11, does this mean he can't come into the the site, or does he have to lie about his age (this could be done) but it would not reflect well on the site

Mandy

us 4 and jess

when i went to register to look through the forums i had to sign to say i was exactly 13 or over 13, now this isnt going to work for the geocaching "youth" some of whom will be under 13

All websites on the internet that collect information of children under 13 have to comply with coppa.

DRC -- This can be set up in General Admin\Configuration

Can I also point out that where you have the links the heading is affiliates. You are not actually an affiliate of these sites so you 'may' need to consider changing the wording.

BTW.. Nice site, keep up da good work. :D

Edited by Geotrotters
All websites on the internet that collect information of children under 13 have to comply with coppa.

This is US legislation and is not compulsory in the UK. As someone who volunteers for an organisation that works with children of all ages (the youngest child is 3 and the oldest child being in there 70s ;) ) I am very aware of the child protection issues relating to training and events, but I have not yet had to apply them to the internet. There are many useful documents online about such things.

This is US legislation and is not compulsory in the UK.

I understand this. All I was trying to point out is that the forum software used by DRC has a strong user base in the USA which is why the Age 13 or above part when registering is mentioned. There is no way he can actually turn it off, not that I have found anyway, but there is an option to utilise it more within the administration pages.

I actually maintain a website for a youth organisation and, like you, have never had to apply the issues you mentioned to the internet. I do use the same forum software though and the question relating to age comes up when anybody registers.

Keith ;)

There is no way he can actually turn it off, not that I have found anyway, but there is an option to utilise it more within the administration pages.

Sorry, miss-read it and daftly thought you were talking about turning it on.

No worrys. I've just read through my original post again and must admit it does read that way. It'll teach me to proof read more before posting in future. ;)

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this post I want to give a big shout out to all of you folks for the help, kind words and all who visited my website and who have posted on the forums!

I have not had time to edit the website but all will be changed soon I am so glad that people took intrest into the website and it has encouraged me to make the site even better!!

I am so glad that children are actually using the site just spread the word and let this website be as much of a sucsess as geocaching.com!!

I will be changing a lot of the wording and I will also be changing the slogan!!

Thank you all so much please keep this topic alive!!

DRC

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this post I want to give a big shout out to all of you folks for the help, kind words and all who visited my website and who have posted on the forums!

I have not had time to edit the website but all will be changed soon I am so glad that people took intrest into the website and it has encouraged me to make the site even better!!

I am so glad that children are actually using the site just spread the word and let this website be as much of a sucsess as geocaching.com!!

I will be changing a lot of the wording and I will also be changing the slogan!!

Thank you all so much please keep this topic alive!!

DRC

Hi,

Nice site man, just a couple of comments for you.

1) You should define what you mean by "youth". Upper age 14,16, 18, 21 etc.

2) Where you say "cashing a check" - here in the UK we spell it "cashing a cheque". Blame the Americans for perverting our language like that ;-)

3) I think I recognise that FAQ form another site (Geocacheing.com). Please be sure to ask permission of the author or site owner to use their text and give them credit for it at the bottom of the page. Not doing so is plagiarism and copyright theft and could land you in trouble if someone does not like it. I am sure they will give you permission to use the FAQ if you ask, and may even offer to publicise your youth geocaching page on geocacheing.com. If they are going to do this, jsut be aware that this could generate added traffic to your site on freewebs.com and they may cut you off or may nto be able to take the load and you may need to use commerical hosting or ask one of the existing geocachng websites if you can "piggyback" off of their hosting service.

If I do not recognise this FAQ, please accept my appoliges for mentioning it ;-)

And again - nice site "Da Rubber Chicken".

Edited by webfishrune