Map76cx &76csx

Are there any Garmin dealers or salespeople out there that might have a clue or possibly have heard rumors about why there's already a $100 rebate on these two? Surely it's not just over production vs the 60s.

I already have (since first introduced) a 76CS and had made up my mind to wait on the next Major new product release. However with prices at $399 & $439 (Cx& CSx) and now an additional $100 rebate, it sure is tempting.

I personally like the size and format of the 76 series much better than the 60 series. Different strokes.....

Is there any scuttlebutt floating around about new models coming out? If that is so, to me it would seem to be awfully early after the "x" introduction. Maybe both L2 & L5 signal compatibility? Anybody think of anything else?

Serious Responders only...Let's don't make this thread a "Wish List" for GC features.

I also like the 76 series and have a 76S and a 76C. Both do an excellent job. When we travel in our little van type RV. I set the 76S to the compass page and the 76C to autoroute. It sure is tempting to buy the

new 76Cx but I am hoping they will come out with a 76CX that is preloaded for the US and Canada. Right now the 76C covers most of the Pacific NW, BC and Alberta but it would be nice to have full coverage and not mess with the maps. Guess I will wait and see.

Are there any Garmin dealers or salespeople out there that might have a clue or possibly have heard rumors about why there's already a $100 rebate on these two? Surely it's not just over production vs the 60s.

If I were to guess, they aren't selling as well as 60 models (or else why not have a rebate on both?). I see 60C's everywhere and rarely see anyone using a 76C. People seemed to prefer the 60C(S)'s design even though it had half the memory. I think the chief reason that the 76C series sold at all was because of the extra memory and (though much less so) the better base map. Now that they are both expandible, the 76 no longer has a major advantage.

Edited by briansnat

In the day of the 76 before the C it was an upgrade from the Vista. Better antanea and some other notably better features.

Then the 60C came out and was a smash hit. The 76C had more memory and a better base map. However most folks had penty of memory in the 60 and so the 76C wasn't as much of an upgrade for the money as the older 76 was. Toss in that most people like the 60 form factor better and the 76 just doesn't do as well by comparison. They could have made a 61C with a slight tweak and had a better result.

The 76C is a good produt that just isn't different enough to sell well. They should have also given it a larger screen to go with the wider case. Enough visually challenged folks (aka most ever adult over 40) would appreciate the screen and upgrade.

I don't know if they will drop the line or reprice it or this is just a way to clear the dealer channel of excess inventory and then they will adapte to lesser sales down the road.

That's my opinion. I don't work for Garmin, any of it's dealers, or own stock though I should have bought some when I first found geocaching.

If I were to guess, they aren't selling as well as 60 models (or else why not have a rebate on both?). I see 60C's everywhere and rarely see anyone using a 76C. People seemed to prefer the 60C(S)'s design even though it had half the memory. I think the chief reason that the 76C series sold at all was because of the extra memory and (though much less so) the better base map. Now that they are both expandible, the 76 no longer has a major advantage.

Those are my thoughts exactly. With memory so cheap, why would you now buy the 76x series unless you just love the form factor? Some folks like the larger square case of the 76, but if GOTGPS?'s survey is any indication, most x buyers don't. I'm betting that Garmin just got it wrong on their production numbers and are now needing to reduce inventory on the 76x. With a $100 rebate, I bet they sell like hotcakes.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I think Briansnat hit the nail on the head. I had the same thoughts. While I don't know what's coming next from Garmin, I do have an idea about when. Look for product announcements at the Outdoor Retailer trade show in August, with new introductions being available for purchase 2-3 months later.

Rich Owings

www.MakeYourOwnMaps.com

www.GPStracklog.com

“We were desert mystics, my friends and I, poring over our maps as others do their holy books.” – Edward Abbey

Well, I am one of those that jumped when I saw the rebate for the 76Cx. My MAP 76 was stolen over the weekend, and I was contemplating getting a 60Cx since it was a bit cheaper.

I actually like the form factor of the 76 better, but was going to get the 60 since it was a bit cheaper, with little difference other than the (almost cheap as dirt) memory card size.

But with the $100.00 rebate, and a $434.00 price from Amazo.com ($334.00 net price). I was able to get my cake and eat it too.

I got my 76Cx yesterday, and am already in love with it. The almost instant acquisition (15-20 seconds out of the box, and 2-5 seconds in my car) is great, and I took it into my office after it acquired, and it stayed in lock where I could never before. I can not wait to get out in the woods and see how well it works in heavy cover.

FWIW the 76C and 76CS also had rebates on them when the 60C/CS did not. I bought my 76C with a rebate about 1 full year before the x models hit the shelves. In other words, a rebate on the 76Cx/CSx does not necessarily indicate an successor to that product within the next 6 mos.

I liked the ergonomics of my 76C but its appearance was, um, rather homely. Also, looking at the 60 vs 76, there is the optical illusion that the 76 has a smaller screen because its case is so much bigger. As another poster mentioned, the gap btwn the two units has dramatically narrowed due to the adoption of swappable memory cards. I was quite surprised that Garmin even made a 76 x model. Couldn't they have simply sold a "life jacket" kind of sleeve for the 60 instead?

It'd be interesting to know how well the 76 sells amongst boaters. Also, imo, if the 76Cx/CSx primary difference is that it floats, then they really should have made it a brighter colour.

GeoBC