Gcuk

Unfortunately, things aren't looking too good at the moment. :o The main problem is with performance. When I started writing the code for the site, there were a total of 15,000 logs. Now there are 521,000. Now, that's no excuse for shoddy code, but it's an explanation for the slowness! :unsure:

The latest problem is that when half a dozen PQs all arrive at the same time, they all try to run at once and the entire server grinds to a halt. This happened before and I made some improvements, but it doesn't seem to have fixed it. The ISP have therefore switched off the database updates and told me to fix it properly. They have been very patient so far, but I think I've used up most of my lives, so before I switch it back on, I need to be very sure that everything's fixed!

Is it just me; what is the point of GC:UK, It only looks at the GC.com data, the stats are wholly inaccurate and the map is less than perfect, and there are no Members Only caches shown.

What useful function does it provide, that GC.com does not? :unsure:

Is it just me; what is the point of GC:UK, It only looks at the GC.com data, the stats are wholly inaccurate and the map is less than perfect, and there are no Members Only caches shown.

What useful function does it provide, that GC.com does not? :o

If you dont like it then dont use it, why do you feel the need to knock it ?

I can process your account for a full refund if you wish :unsure:

Here are just a few of the superb and unique features of GCUK that we use regularly :-

Very useful interactive map

TomTom POI download

Cache ratings

Looks like it is just you...

What useful function does it provide, that GC.com does not? :o

Here are just a few of the superb and unique features of GCUK that we use regularly :-

Very useful interactive map

TomTom POI download

Cache ratings

Looks like it is just you...

and the tube map :unsure:

It lets me do a search for caches from a cetain town?

Lets me look for all caches in a region/shire/whatever you want to call it?

Download all caches - or as many as I want, onto my tomtom?

If caching with a friend - I can check to see what caches in a given area they still have to do and plan a route accordingly?

Check on LOTS of stats?

All of these are done as a download from the site - I don't need to be a premium member - I dont need to run GSAK to get the results Im after - I can get all the results Im after in seconds.

Thanks guys!!! - Guess thats why Guk is on my favourites bar?

Oh - and not only tells me how many Ive FOUND on a Wednesday - tells me how many I've HIDDEN as well!!!!

I often read this forum but rarly post. Is it me or is it becoming a knoking shop these days. Theres always someone moaning about someone else.

I always reckon that if you dont have anything good to say then say nothing.

There, Ive now gone and done just that. Drat. :unsure:

Ah, I see It is all data which I can already gain from GSAK, but GSAK allows me to manipulate the data it a far more convenient way

Can you search by town in gsak?

I'm afraid so, use a modified Postcode file and that is more accurate than the G:UK Search. Some of my caches on G:UK are mark in Farnworth, but they are actually 5 miles away in Worsley. I think the GSAK Post codes are far more accurate

Ah, I see It is all data which I can already gain from GSAK, but GSAK allows me to manipulate the data it a far more convenient way

I'm afraid so, use a modified Postcode file and that is more accurate than the G:UK Search. Some of my caches on G:UK are mark in Farnworth, but they are actually 5 miles away in Worsley. I think the GSAK Post codes are far more accurate

Perhaps you speak a different version of English. I quite clearly said town and not Post Code. You also said this had to be modified. Another waste of my time when doing a quick search.

Choose this option to display the Post Code for Centre Point dialog box to specify a postal code to use as the centre point.

Warning: Post code files have been created from public sources and user contributions. There are no guarantees on completeness or accuracy. That is a quote directly from GSAK

As I said you dont have to use it. Which does beg the question why you are pushing the point?

There ya go a bit more food!

Perhaps you speak a different version of English. I quite clearly said town and not Post Code. You also said this had to be modified. Another waste of my time when doing a quick search.

Choose this option to display the Post Code for Centre Point dialog box to specify a postal code to use as the centre point.

Warning: Post code files have been created from public sources and user contributions. There are no guarantees on completeness or accuracy. That is a quote directly from GSAK

As I said you dont have to use it. Which does beg the question why you are pushing the point?

No same version of English, I used the word Modified

Yes in the context of the postcode find not TOWN. As usual you are trying to twist to meet your own ends.

Yes in the context of the postcode find not TOWN. As usual you are trying to twist to meet your own ends.

No you can do town in the modified Postcade data, I have 65% of the postcodes asociated to A town, So I type Oldham and it brings back caches in the OL1, type Blackburn and I get caches around BB1, type Egerton I get caches around BL7 the list can go on and on.

No you can do town in the modified Postcade data, I have 65% of the postcodes asociated to A town, So I type Oldham and it brings back caches in the OL1, type Blackburn and I get caches around BB1, type Egerton I get caches around BL7 the list can go on and on.

Oooo....... lots of lovely nested quotes. I wonder how many we can get before the system crashes or the new Reviewer / Moderator (or one of the old ones, come to that) spoils our fun and locks the thread :laughing:

Yes Milton

If you don't believe me, look at how GSAK works, I have modified the Table and continuing to do the rest, there is a field in the postcode search which allows name search. When I have done the whole of the UK then I will submit it to Clyde. Just Finishing the South East and then doing Scotland and Wales

Edited by Moote

Yes Milton

If you don't believe me, look at how GSAK works, I have modified the Table and continuing to do the rest, there is a field in the postcode search which allows name search. When I have done the whole of the UK then I will submit it to Clyde. Just Finishing the South East and then doing Scotland and Wales

Not that I dont believe you.

Just that you have completely missed the point.

No point making work for yourself

Oooo....... lots of lovely nested quotes. I wonder how many we can get before the system crashes or the new Reviewer / Moderator (or one of the old ones, come to that) spoils our fun and locks the thread :laughing:

As I said in another thread, as long as it stays polite and vaguely Geocaching related I'm not in the business of closing threads unless I absolutely have to.

So you want nested quotes - here's another one :laughing:

Yes Milton

No point making work for yourself

Exactly, I'm doing the work, improving the postcodes to include better Town origin, then others will benefit from it, if Clyde approves the data.

But how do you get all the caches into GSAK?

Yes, you can setup a whole load of PQs to grab them, but if everyone does this, it adds considerable load to the gc.com database. Personally, I'd much prefer it if gc.com would allow us to grab a dump of all the UK caches - to load into GSAK, then import into tomtom/memorymap/whatever...

S

But how do you get all the caches into GSAK?

Yes, you can setup a whole load of PQs to grab them, but if everyone does this, it adds considerable load to the gc.com database. Personally, I'd much prefer it if gc.com would allow us to grab a dump of all the UK caches - to load into GSAK, then import into tomtom/memorymap/whatever...

S

OLAP data warehousing

Anyone else unable to access the interactive map on geocacheuk.com tonight or is it just me?

I bet that you wish you'd never asked the question, AB!!

You have to be careful in this place! :D

As someone who still prints off cache details and is still living in the Dark Ages as far as my IT skills are concerned, this thread now baffles me because I have no idea what GSAK is! Does it have a nice map with different coloured dots on it like geocacheuk.com does? :D

Anyone else unable to access the interactive map on geocacheuk.com tonight or is it just me?

I bet that you wish you'd never asked the question, AB!!

You have to be careful in this place! :D

As someone who still prints off cache details and is still living in the Dark Ages as far as my IT skills are concerned, this thread now baffles me because I have no idea what GSAK is! Does it have a nice map with different coloured dots on it like geocacheuk.com does? :D

Nope it does not

Guk is a fine site and my apologies for hijacking the thread and ranting a tad (OK a lot)

So let me get this straight...

Apart from the stats

and the interactive maps

and the downloads

and the tube map

and the rating system

and the search by town

and the database of all UK caches

and see nearby trigpoints

and search for T&J bears

what have the romans GCUK ever done for us ?

Edited by Chris n Maria

Very important this.

When you click on a cache through GUK it gives you a chance to rate the cache you have found on Handicaching.com

It gives you links to UK resources such as nearby trigpoints.

It reads the code and puts OS links on the cache page.

If co ordinates are writen on the page it converts them to clickable map links.

For the stats fans there are loads of options

The search function allows you to see archived caches

Did anyone mention cache ratings ?

Cant search by cache type yet though guys so stop slacking. ;)

But...

Apart from the stats

and the interactive maps

and the downloads

and the tube map

and the rating system

and the search by town

and search for T&J bears

and the Handicaching Link

and the OS Links

and the clickable map links

and the searching for archived caches

what have the GCUK ever done for us ?

I found the site very useful myself. The Underground map is excellent and I use the Wap interface (when the wap on my phone actually works) often as its very handy if you find yourself with sudden unexpected caching time - it works differently to the main GC.com wap ;)

However the website always forgets who I am and its lost my gc.com data yet again - as far as its concerned I have found no caches ;)

Apart from that glitch I feel its a useful site for the UK caching community. I'm sorry to see others dont feel that way ;)

yes, granted But...

Apart from the stats

and the interactive maps

and the downloads

and the tube map

and the rating system

and the search by town

and search for T&J bears

and the OS Links

and the clickable map links

and the searching for archived caches

and the remembering who you are

and the searching by cache type

and the keeping Ian,Barry & Brian off the streets

and the really quick service

what have the GCUK ever done for us ?

Edited by Chris n Maria

Think it's this John OLAP but couldnt swear to it.

Thats why I let GUK do the work for me

Thanks Tony - now I know it goes over my head! ;)

BTW I still think GCUK is very valuable and though I use GSAK most of the time, some info is far more accessible in GCUK. ;)

Edited by John Stead

accepted, But...

Apart from the stats

and the interactive maps

and the downloads

and the tube map

and the rating system

and the search by town

and search for T&J bears